42PD5200 Settings

james_19742000

Established Member
Reaction score
I have the Hitachi, 42PD5200, and despite all the bits on here about the HD compatibility issues I am happy with it, havent had it very long, but it does what I want it to, and my opinion is, if it works with Sky HD when that comes out, good news, if it dont, then oh well, never mind, I am still happy with the picture on it through my standard Digi-box (and by the way watched the footy on it last weekend, it was an amazing pic!).

Anyway, all gone awya from my original post question, I havenmt dabbled with settings etc too much so far, but, thought I would ask on here about what settings people have found best on this panel please, I have the panel with no speakers attached, a Sky digi-box and then a Sony DVD/Surround Sound system, the didgi-box is connected via scart to AV4, the DVD to AV1 via s-video and red/white phonos from digibox to DVD for surround sound, that set-up seems to work for me, but what about panel settings please, what will give me the best possible picture from your experiences guys? Mainly watch Sky, usual things on there BBC/ITV some Sky channels, including sports and films, as for UKTV stuff a little bit iof that but I have always found there broadcasts of not much quality regardless of old CRT or new panel I have used, and then a few DVD's etc.

So any ideas on what might get me the best possible picture on the panel :lease:

Thanks in advance guys.

James

to make things easier go try the hitachi thread - loads of settings in there ranging from those to use in first few weeks to worn in settings

makes it neater to keep in one place

Okey dokes, no problem, ta.

Hi

On AV1 you must be connecting picture via the composite (yellow) connector which has a very poor picture quality. You can improve that a lot. See at the back of your Sony surround if you can spot a component output. These are 3 phono connectors (like the composite yellow one) having RED(not the audio one!!), GREEN and BLUE colours. If you have these you're sorted. The Sony you have could even probably do progressive scan on the component output. In case you have these connectors get yourself a good component cable (3 phonos to 3 phonos) and connect each one of them corresponding to the same colour on AV1 of your Hitachi. Leave the composite cable (yellow) still connected.

Check settings on your Sony and change to Component/Progressive Video Output.

In case you have no Component output on your Sony, it will surely have an RGB enabled SCART output. Then get yourself a SCART to RGB(phonos) cable and connect the SCART to the Sony and the RGB cable to AV2 (As far as I know AV2 does RGB on the 42PD5200, check the manual perhaps even AV1 will do) of your Hitachi. Set your Sony's video output to RGB.

During all testing phases always connect the yellow composite for a picture reference!

Then for settings refer to the Hitachi thread :thumbsup:

And, no matter what some folks say here about Hitachi panels, its a very good buy just enjoy it!! :clap:

Cheers :hiya:

Thanks for that, I dont have Scart output on the Sony DVD unfortunately but I do have an out put marked digital, which is covered with a small piece of manufacturers tape, the unit is about 3 years old, it is a DAVS500 I think from memory, would I need to use that output to the Panel, and if so what lead would I need and what AV or input on the panel would be best???

Thanks, James.

That digital output is your Audio digital output.

Check well what video outputs you have on your Sony but I think that perhaps you only have composite or s-video outputs. Very bad cos you won't really enjoy the good picture of that model. I would suggest a low cost DVD with component connectors and progressive scan output for enjoying a good DVD picture, like the Hitachi DVP745 if you wanna stick to that brand. Else Pioneer, Tosh and others have a quite good range of DVD players with such an output unless you cannot afford a Denon DVD1910 with DVI-D output and 1080i upscaling.

You will then use your Sony for surround sound, using a cable from your new DVD to your old Sony. You can also use your Sony for playing cheap or copied DVDs which you think can do your new buy DVD some harm!!

Cheers :D

Regrettably Camorra is right, the best you will have is S-video from the DAVS500. Use that for the time being, s-video can surprise many people with how good it looks, you can think of it as cut down component. The difference between s-video and component is smaller than the difference between s-video and composite, if you see what I mean. The 1910, or any other HDMI player will be limited to 576o or 1080i on hitachi's DVI, and they overscan on 1080i, which you may find a problem with some movies, those in true 16:9 for instance. I'd suggest a good analogue component player, you might find a top used one in classifieds, a Denon 2900, Pioneer 747, something like that. Folks are 'upgrading' to digital these days, and it's not always better! As to harming your player with dodgy discs, it would have to be a disc upgradeable player (denon) and it would have to be a malicious program written specially for the player. Disc pirates are in for a quick buck, and the quality is usually not worth bothering with, I've never heard of a DVD virus.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom