1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

42PD5200 or Panny TH42PE30

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Tenaka, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Tenaka

Tenaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all again, thanks for all the advice. Based on it I have decided to go for a plasma.

Both of the above models appeal to me as they have tuners and speakers built in.

The panny comes in at about £2950 and the Hitachi is around the £2400 mark.

I am concerned about the Hitachi 'buzz' issue.

Also The Hitachi comes with a desk stand and i don't intend to wall mount the TV. (small issue I know)

Also according to the specs the Hitachi runs at 1024x1000 while the Panny runs at 852x480. Will this make a difference to PQ?

Has anyone seen these running side by side and well callibrated?

Ten

p.s. The free DVD player on the DP5200 is another nice touch.

2. Beepcake

Beepcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I've got the Hitachi, and so do my parent's now, neither of us has a buzzing set :)

To be honest whether to go for one or the other is down to personal taste, they are both excellent sets. I would suggest you spend a few hours with each if you can, i was all intent on buying the panny but in the end decided i preferred the picture on the hitachi.

3. Sicilian

Sicilian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Tbh m8, I've got a 42PD5300 hitachi & it does buzz slightly. An engineer is coming saturday to check it out. Out of curiosity I went to a couple of local comet stores & put my ear against some hitachi's on display. Yes they also buzzed slightly, but so did every other plasma screen on display. Some of them had fans on the back, so you would here those with the volume down. The buzz on mine can only be heard with the volume down. IMO the hitachi is better than the panny u mentioned because of connectivity options for dvd, vcr etc etc.

Btw, I listened to a sony screen which had a 5" fan on the back of it. Well that would be noisy in your living room after months of collecting dust.

Go for the Hitachi excellent picture & looks the part too.

4. MPBayless

MPBayless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Hitachi PD4300 wich buzzes. Although the screen is great the Hitachi after sales service is non-existent.

I have been waiting for two months for the Hitachi Service agent to replace the transformer. It took then 6 weeks to order a part which supposedly is not in stock. I still do not know when it will be in stock. Hitachi Customer Service people are also no help.

My experience with Hitachi after sales may explain why a large number of companies will not stock and sell Hitachi products.

5. Sicilian

Sicilian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What is the PD4300, I can not find it their site. Imo my retailer & hitachi have been very helpfull.

6. scoooby

scoooby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My 42PD5200 doesn't buzz. If it did I'd just 'wait' until the thing fell off the wall in the night and claim on the house insurance.

Sod Hitachi after sales.