1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

42PD5200-H Software/Hardware Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by esrg, Jun 15, 2005.

1. esrg

esrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know what Hitachi have done to upgrade the 5200 to make it compatible with 50hz 720p settings?

I'd like to find out if this is an upgrade i can apply to my std 5200.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I didn't know they had ! Got a link ?

3. esrg

esrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well it's nothing official, but appears well informed;

http://www.futurehome.co.uk/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=12

Text from page:

42PD5200-H Widescreen Plasma TV

This is the new HD Ready version of this popular Plasma TV which has not yet got the 'HD Ready' logo but is fully compatible with the forthcoming Sky HD Decoder. It now has DVi with HDCP Support and will accept 720p/50Hz as well as 1080i.

4. esrg

esrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quick google search reveals that most places are selling the 5200 in the H Version.

Would hitachi really do a hardware upgrade when they have the 7200 available?

5. micol

micol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This is very strange. I'd be very interested if it is possible to "upgrade" the standard 42PD5200. It definately smells a bit fishy though. The standard 5200 always had a DVI which was HDCP, but I'd love to know how they've got it to accept 720p / 50Hz.

Please someone tell us how??

6. esrg

esrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A quick scan around the hitachi site reveals nothing, and it seems they are still showing the spec as 60hz only.

Can this mean that the mod is being done by hitachi europe? - Thats' gotta be software right?

I imagine this will be a difficult one to uncover as it may not be in the interests of hitachi to make a mod available.

But I'm sure there are many 5200 owners (like me) that would kill for it.

7. esrg

esrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well this is hitachi's response to my query, at least they didn't say definately not :rolleyes:

The comments do tend to lean towards a software thing though.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your email.

Until Sky have totally committed to 720P50hz, no decision will be made by Hitachi Japan, as this is not a Hitachi UK decision, so at this time we are unable to advise as to whether a software upgrade will be produced or when any decision will be made.

All 5200 series work like this:

DVI, Component and RGBHV take the following HD signals:
    1080i50 1080i60, 720p60hz. (NOT 720p50hz, Sky proposed signal)

This means they cannot now carry the 'HD ready' logo (industry wide logo) because they don't do 720p50.

720p50 is a likely signal to be used for HDTV in Europe, but when the sets where designed there was not spec for High Definition in Europe, 720p50 wasn't speced, so no manufacturer thought it was necessary.

I apologise for any inconvenience or dissatisfaction this matter may have caused you but trust that the above information has helped to clarify the situation.

Regards

Consumer Affairs Team
    Hitachi (Europe) Ltd
    England, UK.