1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

42pd5200 and HD with this box???

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by james_19742000, Sep 13, 2005.

1. james_19742000

james_19742000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    http://www.pvruk.co.uk/article.cfm?attributes.article=447

Just found the above link while doing some surfing, although it states that Sky HD will be broadcast in 1080/25 and 720/50 which the 5200 doesnt support 720/50, it does state that there is an additional connection for broader availabilty?

Does this mean that it converts it to a format that your TV will support?? Any ideas at all???

I would imagien that Sky will be wanting to make HD available to as many peopel as possible without teh need for expensive equipment expenditure, as Sky will want to shift this new technology fast I expect?

Just wondered what peoples thoughts were.

I know if we had a 42pd5200h it would be fine, but some of us 5200 owners dont but our units will support other formats of HD so anybody any ideas of what this leittle beast will do??

Thanks in advance, James.

2. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    It is talking about the analogue component connectors, and as I understand it your TV will still not work with them either, it is a problem that will HERTZ you in the pocket to sort out.

3. james_19742000

james_19742000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Just wondered but not bothered anyway really, personally am pleased with my plasma as it stands, I think the HD thing will be a while before it is more mainstream and is more affordable, what with what I pay for my Sky every month as it is, it will take a lot for me to want to delve deep in my pocket for the new equipment and extra fees every month.

Just wondered what the extra bit it mentioned was all about.

But as my plasma doesnt support 720p/50 but it does supoport 1025i/50 does it mean that if I did decide to go down the HD road that anything broadcast in that format my plasma will display quite happily???

4. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    If you can force the Sky box to output 1080i, then I think you will be OK, but I still don't know whether this option will be selectable via the box.

5. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    What extra bits mentioned.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The only way to make a 5200 HD compliant for sky is a scaler. Gordon sells the Lumagen DVI for about £700 these days. I don't think the output of a sky box will be user selectable, that would require a lot of on board electronics, well a scaler actually! The H doesn't take any form of 720p signal at 50Hz, RGBHV, YUV or DVI, so you are a bit stuffed. As you say though, who cares unless you must have the footy in crystal clear. The ball still goes in the same goal! (I'm not a football fan)

7. soulboy77

soulboy77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recieved the following email from Hitachi which may be of interest regarding the 42PD5200:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dear Sir,

Thank you for your email.

HDTV broadcast services will start in Europe in 2006. This will deliver viewers the best picture quality ever seen in the history of broadcast television. HDTV refers to the highest-resolution format of digital broadcast TV. While there is still some discussion about what is true HDTV, it is generally accepted that 1,080-line interlaced (1080i) or 720-line progressive (720p) are HDTV. A TV that is described as 'HDTV-ready' is usually capable of properly displaying at least 1000-line interlaced or 720-line progressive.

32/42PD5200. These sets cannot be called "HD Ready" because to do this you need to be able to accept and display 1080i 50/60 & 720p50/60 via DVI and Component. We can show 1080i 50/60 but only 720p60.

42PD5200H. Again we cannot call this set "HD Ready" but we are calling it HD Compatible. It can accept all signals via the DVI and all signals except 720p50 via component.

32/42PD7200 Fully Compliant with "HD Ready" specifications.

The Good News:
    Sky have confirmed that the first HD boxes will allow you to select the output, so you can select 1080i (which we think is the best signal anyway) and connect via the Component input. This means that you can view ALL sky programmes including HD broadcasts. It may also work via the DVI socket but this is a bit more complicated and we will need to see a Sky box before we can confirm.

I apologise for any inconvenience or dissatisfaction this matter may have caused you but trust that the above information has helped to clarify the situation.

Regards

Consumer Affairs Team
    Hitachi (Europe) Ltd
    England, UK.