1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

42PD5100 plasma / sky + picture quality

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by davidagodfrey, May 23, 2005.

1. davidagodfrey

davidagodfrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am new to Plasma tv's and sky+ and seem to have a problem with the picture quality when watching the satelite picture.

When connecting the plasma to a dvd source the picture is fantastic. - could not be happier. But when I connect it to my new Sky+ box the picture quality is no where near as good. Still pictures are fine but as soon as there is movement they can go blury. And watching football produces a shimmering surround to each player.

I have checked them with the same scart lead and same input on the plasma. Both have been set up with RGB signals.

Is there something wrong with my set up or is it a known issue with sky+ pictures.

All comments and suggestions greatfully received.

Cheers, David.

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    The artifacts you are seeing are quite common with digitial satellite broadcasts and are made worse by the size of the screen and the bitrate used by the broadcasters.

Football on ITV is typically the worst offender whereas on other channels (BBC1's Cup Final coverage on Saturday being an example) can look very good - I didn't notice any shimmering or tracking problems during Saturday's game.

If you've got the box set to output RGB and you are using a good quality scart, there's not a great deal more you can do.

John

3. davidagodfrey

davidagodfrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply John,

I was afraid that would be the answer. Do you know of anything in the set up of the plasma tv that could make these problems appear less obvious?

You mention that the cup final broadcast quality seemed good to you, as far as footy games go. It was actually that game that was the first thing I watched on it and it was that that made me realise something wasn't right.

The trouble is now I know there is a problem I can't stop focusing on it!!!!

I'll just have to watch more dvd's I guess or wait for HDTV to come out.

4. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    It may be possible to improve it by messing with your settings. Have a look at the Hitachi Thread - a number of people have posted settings for the 5200 and 5300 but I guess most of them would be applicable to the 5100.

John

5. Tomo1971

Tomo1971
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I had a Hitatchi 42pd4200 (exclusive to RS at the time) for a short time and I have to say I was utterly dissapointed in anything that I watched on it other than DVD. As it was mis-sold to me I managed for RS to take it back and bought a Pio from an online retailer instead. Initially I was dissapointed in this screen, even though it was better than the hitatchi but after time it is much better. I get the idea that most screens get better after several hundred hours. Do you think that this will apply to your screen?

PS. I use telewest not sky and people say that this is supposed to be a worse PQ than sky and at the moment I have no real issues with it

Steve

6. davidagodfrey

davidagodfrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John, I will check out the Hitachi threads. I believe the 5100 that i have is identical to the 'popular' 5200 but just without the tuner, speakers and stand.

I bought it on the strength of the 'fantastic' reviews I had read, so I'm a bit miffed that it's not as impressive as they said.

Let's hope I can find something in their threads to tweak it a bit better.

I wonder if there is anything about the sky varying bitrate problems to read on the internet. Would I be correct in assuming that as sky try and cram more and more channels onto their system the bit rate (and quality) may get worse????? There's something to look forward to!!!!!!! :thumbsdow

I was so looking forward to getting sky after the impressive pictures on my plasma from dvd and now it's all gone a bit flat

7. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    AFAIK, the bitrate is down to the individual broadcasters rather than Sky. Generally I find ITV to be very poor, certainly in comparison to, say, BBC1 or Sky One.

John

8. Sadfish

Sadfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a hyundai 4250 and SKY+ and the picture is very different on ITV compared to other channels, my missus watches the Paul O'Grady show and then flicks over to Richard and Judy at teatime, the difference between the programmes (not content, both sh*te) is amazing.

ITV is full of hazings and the like :thumbsdow , CH4 is almost perfect :smashin: .

9. gino555

gino555

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I also have this problem on my LG screen and it is driving me nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. jedimaster1971

jedimaster1971
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as stated its all down to the elusive bandwidth so many channels so little space to put them all in, i have in my time as a sky installer seen so many poor pictures its made me hold of until just recently even think about plasma sets, been to a few where the punter will not accept that the picture quality is the picture quality, usually with the remark its not my tv cos dvd plays perfect so my sky box must be faulty?!?!?!? what the fudge

hope this helps out a bit
    G