42PD3000.....Tips for a newbie ?

G

gurj

Hi to all,

Girlfriend just phoned to tell me the good news that JL Solihull have just delivered my screen. Couple of 'normal' boxes and one the size of a pool table !

Can't wait to get home tonight and start setting it up etc. Luckily no hanging for the foreseeable future as i bought an Alphason AD3/105s for it to be perched upon.

Anyway after following numerous threads involving JL and the 42PD3000 it just occurred to me that there will be a fair few other people in the same boat as me awaiting delivery after what seems an eternity.

With regards to configuring the screen ( and i suppose any other plasma for that matter ) what should i do ?

By that i mean i know that you have to run it in on low contrast / brightness for @200 hrs or so. What other things would the more seasoned members of this forum recommend for max PQ and enjoyment ? e.g Video Essentials disc perhaps.

Many Thanks in Advance.

Try searching the forum. There are a few threads that suggest optimum picture settings for the 42 and 32pd3000.

As always it's what you prefer that's important so don't stick to someone elses suggestions slavishly, use them as a starting point and tweak them. You'll probably keep making minor adjustments for the first month or so until you get it right. However, I would suggest that you should lower the contrast and brightness from the factory settings, both to improve the picture and reduce the risk of screen burn.

Have fun with your new toy :)

Hi to all,

Just wanted to say that got home last night and set up the screen.....running a DVD 2800mk2 via component video with AVR2802 with Sky+ and a silver PS2 via RGB scart.

I know that some people have already offered their views so i thought i would with my experience ( limited it as it may be ! ).

Once i had everything wired up correctly screen was finally switched on , adjusted the PQ settings as found in another thread first as well as sound ( to my own liking ).

What can i say......after getting over the excitement of finally having the scren delivered after months of saving etc....christened the screen with Monsters Inc first....wow, then Lord of the Rings TT Trailer.....awesome especially at 1am with all the lights dimmed, then Gladiator Superbit ( only one i own at the moment ), again well impressed to say the least.

And the sound from the speakers ( yes i had to add them on for the benefit of the girlfriend so she doesn't have to switch the amp on etc to watch tv in the mornings whilst having her Kelloggs Cornflakes !!! ) is well acceptable especially if you're used to a normal CRT.

Analogue tv was a bit grainy on ITV but the rest of the channels were alot better than what i thought ( had a new aerial put in last week for Radio and cost me next to nothing for the Analogue Tv aerial to be replaced ).

Sky + once turned on was actually superb ! contrary to what i've read here.....Had the Sky+ box installed about a week ago with all new cabling as well. The PQ on most channels was smooth and natural apart from the obvious candidates such as Bravo etc.

The only thing that was a slight cause for some concern was when the information bar on SKY came up at the bottom it was a bit blotchy and well bright in comparison to the rest of the picture.

Finally switched on the PS2 and first game up was Soul Calibre 2. The picture was absolutely stunning all characters highly defined and the colour of the picture was so much ' warmer ' than on the CRT that i usually played on. Same story with the other games that i tried.

All in all a most enjoyable experience but as this is only the first day i'm sure things will improve even more !!

gurj,

Do you know if the 42PD3000 can accept HD sources 720p and 1080i etc?

Thanks

i'm pretty sure it can't either.....PMA400E can though ( 99.9% sure ).

But like i said the PQ is pretty amazing when fed through quality cabling and sources.

But I read the specification and it says 480i, 576i, 480p, 576p, 720p and 1080i?????

If it doesn't accept these HD sources, it means you can't watch HD channel on it, it's a pity, isn't it?

Originally posted by Arshad
But I read the specification and it says 480i, 576i, 480p, 576p, 720p and 1080i?????

If it doesn't accept these HD sources, it means you can't watch HD channel on it, it's a pity, isn't it?

Have you got a copy of the specifications?

This is one reason why I am considering the 400E. (it does accept HD inputs)

Cheers

Harvey

Certainly states 1080i HD pictures in that. I wonder if the model we get in the UK is different? Anyone with the instruction manual for the UK one?

Harvey

They doesn't say it accepts 1080i, they say it converts sources into 1080i.
It only accepts 576i by its component entry.
Maybe it's possible to use a Component / RGB converter to convert 720p or 1080i into a VGA signal to put on the VGA entry of the set top box...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom