1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

42PD3000 questions

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by robbster, Jul 20, 2003.

1. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    hiya first time poster here.

I've just got myself a new hitachi 42PD3000 plasma screen and im well impressed I must admit. After tweaking the brightness and contrast levels a bit ( how they come out of the box is redicoulas) I've manged to get the picture quality just right and i think it was worth every penny :)

theres just a couple of questions that ive got so if anyone can help it would be most appeciated

1. Is there a way of setting the brightness, contrast settings different for each input i.e component, s-video etc. Its just that i found that the setting need to be different otherwise some inputs (sky) tend to be darker. I know hue can be set differently for PAL and NTSC.

2. if i use the screen wipe mode ive noticed ive a couple of dead pixels. They are really small and not noticable during normal viewing. Is this common?

also if anyone knows a good shop/mail order that does nice glass tv stands that are cheap i would be grateful

Thanks

Rob

2. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    1) Regretfully no - one setting for all inputs

2) My screen does not have any dead pixels.

Glad to hear you are happy minus the above

3. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Hi robbster,

A small number of dead pixels is quite common on plasmas but is within the manufacturer's stated limits - luckily there aren't any on my 433MXE. Try calibrating your plasma with a DVD such as Avia or the upcoming Digital Video Essentials. What is your definition of "cheap"? I got a very nice Soundstyle AV rack for my plasma, but that was over £300. I suppose you get what you pay for.

Steve

4. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    hi

Thanks for the reply's :)

The dead pixel problem isnt so bad as I can only see it on a white background such as the screen wipe. If it got any worse then i think i would contact hitachi about it. I've been looking at the Alphason range of glass stands which retail at about £250-350 so anything under that with the same quality would be a bonus.
    Another question that you have just reminded me about would be how are you guys setting up contrast on your plasma screen. I use video essentials which does brightness, colour and sharpness ok. But I've had to kinda guess on the contrast as no blooming or bending is visable.

Cheers guys

Rob

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Hi Rob,

I'm still waiting for the yet-again delayed release of Digital Video Essentials. At the moment I've just got my contrast cranked well down as my plasma's still in the 100 hour run-in period.

Steve

6. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    On my 32PD300 I have one dead pixel at the edge of thge screen, but it is impossible to see during normal viewing.

Try www.robinsonselectric.co.uk. They stock the Alphason range of stands at discount prices. There are three basic ranges at differing levels of cost. Delivery is fast and directly from Alphason.

7. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yeah that will be an deffinate on my list when it comes out dutch. I have my contrast set on about 33% with my brightness on about 55%.

Thanks for that link jefuk i will check it out :)

Cheers

Rob