42PD3000 - Progressive Input

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by junpit, Jul 19, 2004.

1. junpit

junpit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've been scouring the forums and there seems to be some confusion over whether this TV accepts progressive component inputs for HDTV.

I have an xbox and have just ordered a cable for connecting this to HDTV. This basically means that quite soon I will be able to configure my box to output a 720p or 1080i signal. It also supports 480p which I am quite sure is compatible with the TV.

So my TV will need to support the following and I need to know which ones of these are OK

480i (PAL)
    480p (NTSC)
    720p (NTSC)
    1080i (NTSC)

Anyway failing this, I am considering a VGA adapter. I have read that this is a good temporary fix for the progressive 720p problems that may or may not exist. My MMbox has PC input and the adapter is able to take a 1080i feed. Can anyone comment on the quality of the output when doing this, when compared to native 720p or 1080i (if supported by the TV). I also need to confirm that the VGA adapter will work with 480i (PAL) as I am unable to run in 480p or greater with my xbox all the time.

The adapter I'm considering is this one http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=219&products_id=4233&

Thanks in Advance

Junpit

2. junpit

junpit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry.

I know that 480i is NTSC and not PAL. I meant that I needed the VGA adapter mentioned here to be able to deal with accepting a normal PAL component input as well as the progressive modes mentioned.

Junpit

3. junpit

junpit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK. Progressive works up to 420p. No 720p and 1080i as I tested it last night. Thats OK.

I am now considering buying a VD-Z3 (www.vdigi.com) VGA transcoder to get 720p and 1080i support. This product transcodes and might allow me to receive these modes. I am told this is the best product around for this kind of thing.

I am also told that

720p => 1280 x 720
    1080i => 1900 x 1080

Has anybody got any experience of using a product like this or even this product with my plasma. I don't want to buy one if the 42PD3000 will refuse to show a screen at these resolutions. Has anybody got any experience using PC input with the 42PD3000.

Finally does anybody know of a product that will take a 1080i signal and export it at 1280x1024 say, which I am sure the 42PD3000 would deal with effectively and this would make most use of my 1024x1024 resolution.

Thanks in Advance

Junpit

4. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I've run the 42PD3000 at, I think, 1366*768 from my PC. Apart from the loss of horizontal information, the picture displayed was fine.

John

5. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Resolutions which are supported via VGA are given in the specs for the set (Hitachi website). Don't remember seeing any 1024 mentioned last time I looked at them, sorry.

The component inputs on the multimedia box shipped with the 5300 were never specced for HDTV, as that would have required the DVI link between the box and the screen to be HDCP compliant. This would have attracted a licencing fee in US, which I seem to remember reading is applied as a percentage of the total retail cost of the set ($$$).

Simple answer - want HDTV, get 5100 or 5200!

6. junpit

junpit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK. Thats well cool. Guess I'll take the plunge as I only want 1280x720. Being as its an xbox outputting the signal during gaming it should be fine. I've heard that 1080i is a whisker away from 720p anyway.

I can't understand whats going off inside the TV with HDTV stuff like 720p and above. I find it hard to contemplate why my AV3000E box is able to send a 1280x1024 signal to my AV tuner and have it displayed but something like 720p which is ultimately a lower resolution is not.

I understand there may be big bucks involved but are you saying the the plasma TV is incapable of displaying a 720p feed from a tuner in the future. I was led to believe this was an AV3000E tuner issue, based on what I've said above regarding a PC input being of greater resolution.

-Junpit