1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

42PD3000 & 42PD5300 DVI Inputs

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by junpit, Jul 22, 2004.

1. junpit

junpit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Whats the difference between these. They seem to have a different spec on the website. The PD5300 has a DVi input described as 24 pin DVI (1.0V+HDCP), whilst the PD3000 does not.

Being as they share the same tuner or external box (AV3000E) is the interface exactly the same or are there some extra inputs on the 5300 which are not present on the PD3000.

2. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The xxPD5300 external tuner box plugs into the DVI input on the set. Thus, you loose the DVI input as it is not on the tuner box. If you want DVI, consider the xxPD5200 version.

3. junpit

junpit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Yes. Thats exactly the same as my PD3000. After all they both ahare the same tuner which is the AV3000E. I am asking specifically about the HDCP tag on the spec for the DVI input. The PD3000 just mentions the its a DVI and the 5300 mentions the phrase HDCP. How can they be any different if they share the same piece tuner.

I'm wondering if in fact the PD3000 is HDCP compliant after all, if the 5300 is. According to my reading HDCP stands for High Density Copy Protection and for it to work both sides have to implement it as a protocol.

Any ideas? I am now wondering if there are different tuners involved between the 3000 and the 5300.

4. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    i think the tuners are the same, but the sockets may be different. The 5300 has the same dvi input as the 5200 its just that it gets used by the tuner and therefore can't be used for anything else.

5. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically a digital signal can be raw or can be encrypted at source with HDCP. If you buy a DVD player with DVI/HDMI, then copy protected DVD's (ie most) will trigger the HDCP encryption in the DVD player. If your display is HDCP enabled, then it will decrypt the signal, if its not, then you will get a blank screen. HDCP compliance is implicit in the HDMI specification. With DVI, whilst it is a requirement that DVI based DVD players output using HDCP, it is not implicit in the display specification. Since the connectors are physically identical, short of looking at the specs or playing a CP disc using a DVI or HDMI DVD player, you are not going to tell.

I suspect that since the 5200 mentioned HDCP and the 300 does not, and is a bit older, it will not be HDCP compliant. As for the tuner supplied with both the 3000 and 5300, it is likely that this does not output a HDCP feed and as such, can be used with both displays.

6. biena

biena

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all for this.
    I was thinking about the Hitachi 42PD5300 because 'What Plasma' mag says its pretty much the same screen as the more expensive Yamaha PD4210. It also says "plug a component or DVI feed into the set and you'll be rewarded ...". Even 'What Hi-Fi' says of the PD5300 'if you have a DVD player withy a DVI or HDMI output you'll see virtually flawless images".

As John Lewis is offering the 5300 for £2795 with a free 5 year guarantee, this seemed like the way to go. But when I went to look at the set I couldn't find a DVI inout and the store told me it didn't have on. I then called Hitachi customer services who said 'they didn't think it had'. Only a forum search cleared this up. So now I think I'll have to pay more and go for the Yamaha PD4210 to go with a new Denon 3805 and 3910 set up. Pity - I was hoping to take advantage of the free 5 year guarantee from John Lewis.

Biena