1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

42pa50 service menu instructions needed

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by kenji-san, May 26, 2005.

1. kenji-san

kenji-san

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello all,

the geometry is off in prog scan mode on my panasonic th-42pa50, and i think i can adjust this in the service menu. I've tried accessing it, but i'm not too sure what the different service menu options mean.
    Does anyone have any knowledge about the service menu on this tv, or know where i can find some sort of manual for it?

thanks

kenji-san

2. TheBigOne

TheBigOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm getting mine today. How do you enter the service menu???

3. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I take it the pa50 is a panasonic?

If it is then getting in to the service menu is pretty much the same as the Viera plasmas and the panasonic CRT televisons.

Here is how it is got into.

bass to max.
    treble to min.

then press v/- 0n front panel at the same time as index on remote.

4. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

The options you want are H-AMP and V-amp H-pos and V-pos.
    H-amp and V-amp will stretch and compress the picture horizontal and vertical H-pos and v-pos will move the whole picture up and down and side to side on the screen.
    If these options are not available then your panel may have a second service option like the Viera plasma does. However I am not sure how to get in to that or your particular set.

5. TheBigOne

TheBigOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    David Sheekey: Thanks for your reply. Yes, you were right, it was the panny. Fixed it on the wall yesterday, and I was stunned with what I saw!!! Absolutely great picture, crisp, with rich colors and depth. It's like you're watching through a window.
    I have it connected to my 3910 through component (progr.) and it produces the best picture I have ever seen on a flat screen.
    It doesn't seem like I need to go into the service menu, but you never know, right!?

6. jeh

jeh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I also have this set and i can access the service menu. But the service menu 2, is all but a set of hexadecimal values, and I really haven't a clue to it!!!!!!

by the way if you want to access sm2 you must select channel 99 in analog tuner after "bass max" "treble min"!

7. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dont mess get someone in who knows!

8. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

what are you trying to do?

9. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Actually, the only thing you can actually do with any success in the (plasma) service menu is adjust screen position and overscan. Anything else should not be attempted unless you are 100% sure of what you are doing, how you are doing it, and wether you have the correct equipment. You can do a lot of damage in the service menu if you are unsure of the functions and in some cases bugger it up completely :eek:

10. kenji-san

kenji-san

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the answers.

the first service menu lets you do the following:

(shows panel-type)
    test-pattern
    sub-contrast
    all drive
    r drive
    g drive
    b drive
    all cutoff
    r cutoff
    g cutoff
    b cutoff
    sub-bright
    apl mult
    spl gain
    txt adj. (these span several pages)

the second service menu you access by, after the bass/treble setting, go through all the service1 modes while being on tv channel 99. when reaching the last txt adj. setting, press hold button.

service 2:

y/c delay
    (9 pages of hexadecimal values, as jeh mentioned)
    sub-colour
    hours (that the tv's been running)

now, what i want to do was adjust the horizontal size, but none of the options in service 1 seems to do this, i think. Also, in service 2 there's a bigger chance of messing things up than doing any good, so i won't touch the hexadecimal values options.

Anybody know if any of the options in service 1 or 2 would let me adjust the picture size horizontally? It must be possible somehow to do this when all of these other advanced options are available?

edit : for anyone interested, check elliot 1's second post in this thread for a more detailed explenation of how to enter the service mode.
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202026

11. jeh

jeh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only setting i adjusted was lowering the G drive (green) to 200 in the "cool" settings - too much green on factory sets - even worse on "normal" and "warm".
    But, what i really would like to do now is adjust the overscan, and i haven't a clue.

unfortunately, no chance of ISF calibration here in Portugal.

anyway i'm very pleased with what i achieved with DVD-Essentials.

If anyone wants i may post my settings...

12. kenji-san

kenji-san

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you don't mind, i would like to see your settings after your calibration with dvd essentials. :)

edit: yeah i'd also like to adjust the overscan, but it's not as noticable on my set as the vertical black bars on each side.

13. jeh

jeh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My settings on Panny 42pa50:

Mode: Cinema (Best grey scale of the 3)

Contrast: -14 ticks from maximum (no more white after this)

Brightness: +22 (almost perfect blacks)

Colour: +38 ( with the blue filter)

Sharpness: +3 (more than this increases solarization dramatically)

Colour Balance: Cool (with "G drive" set to 200 in service menu - The greys look grey with this setting on black and white patterns in DVD-E. "Warm" and "Normal" look somehow like sepia or the likes)

Colour Management: off (greens are ridiculous with it on)

P-nr: off (too many artifacts and trails with it on)

Mpeg nr: off ("on" softens the picture)

This settings give me excellent PQ in DVD (Pioneer 575A) via good component cables, and I use interlaced mode, since deinterlacing is better on the tv)

Same settings for TV (adding 3d-comb off).
    Good analog picture, but I have some gripes with it which i might leave to another topic.

There's also the "rainbows" issue... ... another topic... :)

14. kenji-san

kenji-san

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks alot jeh, i'll try them out tomorrow, going to bed now. :)
    agree on the green issue, and the "soft picture" with mpeg n.r. set to on.
    if you, or anybody, finds a way to adjust horizontal or vertical positioning on this plasma, please let us know.
    thanks again.

edit: jeh, is solarisation where white/bright colours gets brief a yellow-ish look on them? As i tend to see that often. hopefully the new sharpness setting will, as you write, fix that to some degree. although by the sound of it it'll soften the picture with only +3 set.

15. jeh

jeh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    solarisation is when there are gradations of colour and you see large bands instead of a smooth transition.If you add sharpness (which is an artificial enhancement effect),beyond 3, you'll see too much of this - unbearable in fact. 3 seems like a good setting, 'cause you have detail (provided the source is good) and unnoticeble solarization if you seat +/- 3 metres away from the screen.
    Of course, sometimes you see it when the source is already coded that way.

16. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

If there is no option for V-AMP, V-POS, H-AMP, H-POS then you could always contact Panasonic and see if you could purchase an actuall service manual for this panel. They will not indorse you messing around in the service menu but will point you in thew right direction.

17. kenji-san

kenji-san

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A small update on the matter:
    just got confirmed by panasonic denmark technicians what i've feared: geometry settings of any kind has been left out of the service menu on the 42pa50/42pe50. Reason being that it should be just as fine when the tv does it automatically.
    And that "it's a stripped/cheap model".What's the cost of implementing this feature anyway??
    So if you have any geometry issue with this tv, you have 2 options:
    If you just bought it, get it replaced a.s.a.p., and hopefully it will have better geometry.
    Or, you can take pictures of the problem, post it to your local panasonic office, and hopefully they will take it in to their office, and with a special manufacture settings menu adjust what needs to be adjusted. If they deem it necessary, mind you. Otherwise, you're pretty much stuck with the problem.

18. lgrijander

lgrijander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Do you think you could post your values for these settings ?

sub-contrast
    all drive
    r drive
    g drive
    b drive

y have modified r drive, g drive and b drive because my default colour combination was very bad, very high value for green and lower for red and blue.

Thanks !!

19. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652
    I've posted numerous posts regarding the lack of H-amp/V-amp on the PV500.The service menu is exactly the same as the PE50 and since the PV500 is their top of the range Plasma Tv it is an absolute disgrace that they have removed any optiions to stretch/overscan/position the screen.I can understand them not wanting to include these options in the basic settings menu's but to remove them from the service menu's is unbelievable.

I have a bush portable and the service menu has these options,If I had known these options had been removed I would have probably not bought the PV500, Now I've got a PS2 and Gamecube with vertical borders down the sides which can't be removed, I'm seriously considering asking for a alternative plasma instead as I've only had it a few weeks.

Can anyone confirm whether the Hitachi PD7200 has options for H-amp/V-amp ?

20. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652
    I just phoned Currys and I can't get a refund because I've had it more than 14 days, they said to phone Panasonic to explain the problem but what's the point, if they have removed the options a technician isn't going to be able to correct the problem.

Yet another problem to add to the long list on the PV500.

21. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    korum.

I have recently spoken to Gordon from these forums who does ISF calibration of screens. He calibrated My plasma and is very clever when it comes to this sort of thing. He has not been asked to calibrate a PV500 yet, but when does he will be posting on the forum. Hopefully he,or one of the other calibrators that post on the forum such as piers ,will work on one soon and be able to suss out how to do it. I cant belive that there is no option what so ever to adjust screen postion and overscan, it just might not be where we would think it should be.
    For now, you could try emailing panasonic like I have suggested in this thread and see if they are willing to sell you a serivce manuall on the plasma, or atleast point you in the right direction.
    I if I get any more info about the problem I will let you know. Its bugging me now and I dont even have one :)

22. kenji-san

kenji-san

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    korum,

that's excactly the problem i have with my gamecube and ps2! If i knew about this matter, i too would've steered clear of panasonic. And on top of not being able to use the full screen because of the black borders, you can also clearly see that as a result of the borders the picture looks squashed horizontally! So i can't get a normal picture, AND i can't use the entire screen.
    as the danish panasonic technician told me, appearently there should be another service mode, a 'manufacture mode' that should allow for geometry adjustments. But he said that in order to access this menu, he would have to have special permission from some other manufacturer guy in order to recieve the code needed to access.
    I pray that someone like Gordon would post these access codes here, so this VERY annoying matter could be resolved.
    I've never experienced this bad pre-geometry adjustment before, and when it happens, of course panasonic pulls a stunt like not being able to fix it.
    Until this matter is resolved, i cannot enjoy my plasma like i should.

23. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652
    Dave-S,

You've got a PE30 Haven't you.What sort of results did you get after the IFS calibration because a few of the threads seem to say the results are a bit disapointing on the Viera's.

24. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

Well I suppose it all depends on what the picture looked like before hand and how obsesive you are about picture quality.

Calibration with the correct equipment will always give an improved picture.
    I had a bit of a green tinge to the picture before calibration and Gordon sorted this out. He also managed to bring a more cinematic image to the plasma through calibration.In my opinion it is well worth it. He will also do his best to adjust problems like overscan :D

Here is a link to his web site that will explain a bit more about it

http://www.convergent-av.co.uk/

25. kenji-san

kenji-san

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the pe30 has a different service menu system than pe50 and pv500, where i *think* geometry adjustment is possible.

26. kenji-san

kenji-san

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dave-s,
    i have also tried contacting panasonic regarding acquiring a service manual, and they refused point blank to tell me how to obtain one.
    And as said, the standard service menu appearently can't adjust geometry, so i doubt a service manual would provide any solution. The afforementioned "manufacture settings menu" that's supposedly hidden in there somewhere is only granted to panasonic technicians on a need-to-know basis, if the pana guy i talked to is to be believed.
    I think this problem will turn out to be quite a headache for alot of people.