42MXE10 Color Mode: Studio, better blacks?

Bogi

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

First I don't have a PDP-42MXE10 myself, but I'm looking at different options for just a display without tuners etc. Anyway I was looking through the PDP-42MXE10 tech manual and looking at how to disable the frame rate conversion (FRC) feature in order to be able to run it with 50 Hz signal over DVI when I stumbled on the Color Mode feature (also in what they call Integrator Mode, I guess that's like a Service menu). It says:

"17) COLOR MODE Setting
In addition to the normal operation mode (NORMAL), this display has a mode (STUDIO) for use in a TV studio in
which the adjustment values ‘PICTURE' and ‘SCREEN' can be set independently."

Now normally the ability to set a display to Studio mode might improve the span for blacks as well as better color reproduction.

So has anyone tried this one out and checked the changes it makes on picture quality? Maybe MAW?

Actually when looking through the tech manual, I was very impressed by the virtually unlimited ways of tweaking this plasma... One even get the best setting for using it for FILM re-shoot for a movie (48 Hz camera)...

Cheers

Bump :) I'm interested in this panel myself. Would like to hear peoples views on it.

Thought I'd bump this one up.

So has anyone tried the Studio mode on the 42MXE10 yet and seen what gives? :lease:

I don't have a 42 to try, and I've been a bit busy to mess with the 50 recently, I'll try and make time for a play, and post the findings. I can't honestly think that it will make much difference to black levels. Correct setup of brightness and contrast is crucial with the Pio commercial panels, lots of them are poorly done in that respect.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom