• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

42lg5020

JasonE

Standard Member
I have just perchased what I thought was a 42LG5000 from Argos with a quoted contrast ratio of 50000:1 yet apon delivery was marked as 42LG5020 on the box. A quick search releaved these can be 15000:1 OR 50000:1
There are no obvious signs of this info either on the box , the bezel stickers or the manual.
Is there an easy way to find out exactly what I have been sold ?? i.e. via the serial number etc.:lease:

J4CK DANIELS

Established Member
Jason, the 5020 is EXACTLY the same as the 5000. the two figures you have there apply to both models.... they are DYNAMIC and NATIVE contrast ratio's (both of which will be MUCH higher than REAL-WORLD measured contrast ratio's) the only difference between the two models is that the 5020 was an exclusive for Comet. (it has a subtle blue tint to the bottom of the bezel) :thumbsup:

JasonE

Standard Member
I have found there to be differences in quoted contrast ratios and sound type between all the 5000 , 5010 , 5020s. For example most 15000:1 tvs have Dolby sound where as most 50000:1 have SRS XT. Where ever i look on the web I get different specs for the same model :suicide::suicide::suicide:

If the 5020 was exclusive to comet how did I get one from Argos ??

Excuse my ignorance , what is DYNAMIC and NATIVE :rolleyes::rolleyes:

BTW , mine what looks like a faint blue lower bezel but thought it a protective film :rotfl:

Thanks for your reply.

J4CK DANIELS

Established Member
I have found there to be differences in quoted contrast ratios and sound type between all the 5000 , 5010 , 5020s. For example most 15000:1 tvs have Dolby sound where as most 50000:1 have SRS XT. Where ever i look on the web I get different specs for the same model :suicide::suicide::suicide:

If the 5020 was exclusive to comet how did I get one from Argos ??

Excuse my ignorance , what is DYNAMIC and NATIVE :rolleyes::rolleyes:

BTW , mine what looks like a faint blue lower bezel but thought it a protective film :rotfl:

Thanks for your reply.

the best place to get spec from would be LG's website, it's not even 100% reliable itself but that's where the others get their info from so its best to check there first anyway. I have no idea about the exclusivity deal between Comet and LG, perhaps it was only for a few months to help them 'avoid' price matching with their competitors.

Dynamic contrast ratios are measured using the BEST brightess white and then the darkest dark image (usually the naughty boys at the factories cheat and measure the black with filters off, LCD's running at low power, backlight's off etc.. to get the lowest number available!)

Native ratios SHOULD be a bit more accurate using colour bars and/or images that can be measured at all points on the screen to get a 'fair' reading. problem is... there is no governing body/industry standard so they can all measure what they want as long as it actually happened at some point in a lab under extreme conditions!

In summary... don't pay too much attention to contrast ratios with like for like TV's (although contrast ratios perhaps should be considered when looking at different technologies i.e. LCD/PDP/Projection etc..)

hope this helps. :lesson:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom