42LD520 Owner - Setup problem with DVD recorder

42LD520User

Standard Member
Hello,

I have a problem setting up my DVD recorder to my LG television, and I'm hoping someone can shed some light on the solution. My TV is a model 42LD520. I have an Insignia DVD recorder, model NS-1DVDR, and I am using cable, with an HD cable box. I have been careful to set up all my connections, and I think I have them right (but I might still be wrong with the configurations).

Anyway, when I power up the DVD recorder the 'Setup' readout shows on the recorder panel, but I am unable to perform the setup, since most of the buttons on the remote do not respond. 'Home' responds, and 1 or 2 others respond, but that's about all.

It almost seems to me that the DVD recorder and the TV don't recognize each other. The recorder manual talks about connecting the recorder to the TV (which I have done), and then tuning the TV to the 'Video Input Channel'. I don't know where that is --- or how to get to that.

Can someone straighten me out?

Many thanks in advance.

Joe

iaint

Hi. You've connected the Video Out to the AV in on the TV? Or connected the component out to the component in on the TV? So press the Input button on the TV remote until the input you've connected it to is highlighted. Should then be able to run through the setup procedure. In order to record anything, you'll presumably want to also connect your cablebox to the video input using a composite+audio cable. -- Regards, Iain.

42LD520User

Standard Member
Hello Iain

First, thank you very much for your prompt reply and your suggestions. I am not sure that what you are saying takes into account my device configuration. To refresh, I have Cable box (broadband), LCD TV, and DVD recorder. Here is how my current device setup looks:

1. From my Cable box I have an HDMI cable going directly into the HDMI1 port in the TV

2. From my Cable box I have 3 cables (Video: 1 cable, Audio L R) going from the Cable box Output area to the DVD recorder Input area

3. From my DVD recorder I have 5 Component cables (Video: Y Pb Pr, Audio L R) going from the component Output area on the recorder into the component Input area in the TV

When I press the Input button on my TV remote, I see that the HDMI1 option is active. Here are all the options showing when I press 'Input':

TV Component HDMI1 USB AV1 AV2
RGB-PC HDMI2 HDMI3

Yes, I can see that 'HDMI1' is active when I press Input, but what then? My task here is to perform the Setup for the DVD recorder. When I press 'Setup' on the DVD recorder I am not seeing any active choices on the TV screen.

Please advise. Thank you

Josef

iaint

Hi.
You'll want to press Input repeatedly to select "Component"; if you're quick, you can alternatively press Input then use the arrow buttons and OK to select it (you can select greyed-out/disconnected inputs that way too).
--
Regards, Iain. Addendum: the input selector on these TVs can be odd if you've not used it before; basically, you press Input once, then menu appears showing the currently selected input and after a few seconds disappears. If you press Input again, whilst the menu is on screen, the selection moves to the next connected option. You can repeat this; the selection will cycle through all the inputs the TV thinks is connected. The menu will disappear a few seconds after you last pressed the Input button, and it is when this menu disappears that the input will change and you can see your DVD recorder. You repeat the process (Input to summon the menu, Input repeatedly to make a selection, then wait a few seconds) to get back to your cable on HDMI1).

Last edited:

42LD520User

Standard Member
Hi Iain,

Again, many thanks for your replies. Do I understand that when I use the TV remote I need to change the active selection from 'HDMI1' to 'Component'? If I save this choice will I still be able to see the television broadcast? Or are you indicating that I must somehow select both 'HDMI1' and 'Component' simultaneously and save that? If only 'Component' is selected then don't I lose the benefit of HD quality when I receive the broadcast?

Sorry if I seem dense, but this plethora of devices with all these input/output choices and the incredible number of cables snaking around make it all look complicated.

Thanks again,

Joe

iaint

Hi.
Yes. You may or may not see your TV picture; you'll see what your DVD recorder shows you. It will not be high-def as the link from the cablebox to DVD recorder does not support that. But your DVD recorder cannot record high-def either.
So, select Component when you want to watch/record DVDs or do anything with the DVD recorder.
And select HDMI1 when you want to watch cable TV in high-definition.
I'd routinely switch between HDMI1 (DVR via surround sound system), Antenna (built-in tuner), and Component (old DVD player).
--
Regards, Iain.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom