1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

42inch Plasma for £1500 +HD? Help

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by upop22, Jul 22, 2005.

1. upop22

upop22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this is making no sence i'm looking for a hd ready plasma for 1500 but they all seam to have low number of pixels ie 800X500 want say 1024X720 but theses are all over £2000 all making no sence going to connect it 2 a Yam RX-v1400amp for dvd and sky+ but some guy says that a hd ready Plasma is going tpo cost well over £3000 :lease:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    there is only one or two "HD ready" near that price a samsung 1024x768 and hitachi 1024x1024 ALIS 5200H sacrifice HD ready and get the Hi RES Pioneer 43MXE1 for £1800 or buy a PWD7 not HD but the best pic of all the SD screens also much better than cheap higher res screens for under £1200 delivered, whats wrong with 852x480 res anyway?

3. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    Look for the threads in this forum in Plasma section about the Samsung, HD Ready 42" and under 1.5K.

4. upop22

upop22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    more pixels means sharper picture/more detail :rolleyes: but when sky goes HD next year i want a plasma that can take advantage of this! maybe i need some lessons!!!!!!!!

5. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    more pixels does not necessarily mean better picture. look at lcd's, theyre all ultra high res and some are shockingly bad.

6. upop22

upop22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about the Samsung PS42S5HX with the Ssmsung DVDHD850 DVD Player? :rolleyes:

7. majec

majec

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was looking for more than a year to buy a plasma and my main consideration was the pixel ratio, so i was looking at the Pio and then at the new panny 500.
    The shiny frames of both of them are awful, reflecting everything arround...Finally i bought LG PX4 (esthetics reasons-i,m going to paint it black-no kidding! and also the price -really cheap when you compare with other plasmas.The PQ is really great, in fact ,i can,t see how better it could be !
    My former tv was Loewe so i know what i,m talking about...

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  9. Dogma21

Dogma21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    HD are you saying that hi-def material would look better on the PW7 than on the Samsung 1024X768?

I know that the PW7 is a great screen and I was seriously considering getting it until I heard about the high definition.

I am looking for a screen that has a good picture with Sky and eventually Sky HD, xbox hi-def, then Xbox 360 and DVD's.

Out of the HD screens the Samsung is within my budget but I'm waiting to see a demo with a decent feed, not like the crappy feed they have at my local comet.

What are your views?? :thumbsup:

10. upop22

upop22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well I've taken the plunge will be fitting the plasma in this weekend it's use will be like dogma's but with a PS3! i'll let you know how it goes. :cool:

11. Dave™

Dave™

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS3?

....explain please as i thought these wern't out for a good while yet

12. Dogma21

Dogma21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Nice one mate,

Post some pics when you get it set up, with some hi-def stuff if you can and games console.

:thumbsup:

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    i woukd rather have an SD panny fed 720p than Samsung or LG HD screens or Alis for that fact but thats just me and i know not what i type about..............

14. upop22

upop22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'll take some pictures but you'll have to wait about 12months for the PS3...... :rotfl:

Don't be like that Dragon unless you try you never learn ands there is sooooooooo much to learn! :suicide:

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Speak for your self mate................. ;)

16. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Mr Dragon,
    Are you stating you haven't actually seen a Samsung PS42S5HX displaying 720p ? :)

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    yes it is true i havent seen them seen the samsung running 720p, but if you have ever seen a PWD running 720p you will know what i mean when i say WOW

18. Dogma21

Dogma21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Would you not lose some of the detail in the picture as is doesn't have enough lines to display 720 i.e. it only had 480 lines.

I must admit I don't fully understand how it works but I like many others in this forum value your opinion. You have almost convinced me to get a PW7 from MAW, rather then get the Samsung Hi-def screen.

19. craigae

craigae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I think you really need to make your own mind up Dogma, get some viewings.

I have the Samsung 5H, and am well happy with it.

20. dunkie

dunkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Craig on the samsung can you remove the speaker at the bottom or is it fixed?

thanks in advance

dunk

21. Fontie

Fontie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Speaker on the 5H is fixed.

22. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    all fixed pixel devices scale incoming video (PAL DVD sky etc is 720x576 res) so having good scaling is more important than loads of pixels and the panny scaler (internal) does a wonderful job downscaling 720p to fit its 852x480 pixel array strange but true, some say it looks better for video than 1:1 pixel mapping

23. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for the honest reply HD.
    Would it be a fair question - to ask that if you haven't actually seen the Samsung how can you be so sure that a PWD7 has a much better picture ?
    Your reply to a person intending to use Sky HD :
    " ....or buy a PWD7 not HD but the best pic of all the SD screens also much better than cheap higher res screens for under £1200 delivered.... "
    Sort of suggested that you had seen the Samsung - yes ? :cool:

I'm not sure we should assume the Samsung HD plasma will be inferior to a Panasonic SD plasma - will be interested to hear what you think when you try one out.
    I imagine it must be quite annoying for those selling Panasonic and/or Pioneer plasmas to find Samsung potentially has a superior specification product - complete with HDMI input and HD panel - available through the likes of John Lewis - complete with 5 year guarantee - at a much lower price.
    It will be interesting to see how forum advice responds to the introduction of such a high specification PDP at such a low price - how will they justify advising somebody should buy a lower spec PDP at a higher price - most members are too wise to believe certain brands contain magic beans.
    I'm thinking of buying a PS42S5HX - but will wait to see it running with Sky HD before deciding - have seen one running with HDMI DVD upsampled to 720p and 1080i - must say it looked very good.

24. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I have seen the new samsung panels not sure which models and not set up to my standards browsed them in Currys i think the other day the D5 i think running DVD was not impressed. BEauty as they say is in the eye of the beholder, Have you ever seen an accuarte display?

25. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    No - what's that. :D

I haven't seen a PWD7 even.
    That's why it is interesting to read the opinions of such as yourself - that knows these things inside out.
    Have had a 42 " plasma since October 2000 - its time for a change.

26. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Gringottsdirect, what makes you think that the Samsung has a superior specification to the equivalent HD Panasonic and Pioneer displays, and for that matter Hitachi.

Also, if you wait until Sky HD is up and running until you make your judgement on the Samsung there will be most likely a whole new set of models to choose from.

27. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    an accurate plasma is one that most closely represents the original source material. ie the most accurate representation of the real world.

28. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Neil,
    I am not thinking Samsung HD is superior specification to the equivalent Panasonic, Pioneer or Hitachi HD - but am suspecting that Samsung HD may well be superior to Panasonic/Pioneer/Hitachi SD models - for displaying a 720p source.
    My curiosity was aroused by hornydragon's post that he would prefer a Panasonic SD PWD7 " running " 720p - than a Samsung HD or LG HD.
    Further - horny's other comments - were interesting...
    " ....there is only one or two "HD ready" near that price a samsung 1024x768 and hitachi 1024x1024 ALIS 5200H sacrifice HD ready and get the Hi RES Pioneer 43MXE1 for £1800 or buy a PWD7 not HD but the best pic of all the SD screens also much better than cheap higher res screens for under £1200 delivered, whats wrong with 852x480 res anyway? "

I'm guessing that a Samsung HD could be more suitable for showing 720p - I hope that if this proves to be so - it will be reflected in this forum. It would be disappointing if SD PDPs are " sold " when the correct advice would be to buy HD - yes ? It is early days but the appearance of cheaper priced HD panels with HDMI connectivity will shake up the plasma market - IF - they are any good.

So far as I know it is a simple matter of unplugging my Sky+ and plugging in a SKY+ HD - OK there will be lots of different models coming out but these new Samsungs should be around for next twelve months - yes ? So they are an option - Sky+ HD will not be too far away from this winter is my feeling - who knows.

29. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the thing is there is an assumption that because something has "HS ready" on it its going to be OK reasonable good enough. Well fudge good enough i want every last drop of quality for pennys not a nice shinny logo and until i see a better Picture the PWD7 will remain the best of the bunch under £2k (it puts many over that price to shame)

30. craigae

craigae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I got some 720p Xbox gaming in last night on the 5H and my jaw dropped. I was very happy to be finally seeing some HD stuff on a proper HD screen, and it was fantastically clear and smooth.