42G20 vs 42V20

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by teutonik, Nov 29, 2010.

1. teutonik

teutonik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I've spent a ages looking through these forum pages for the perfect telly for me and I have narrowed it down to two......the 42G20 and the 42V20 :clap:. Trust me I have spent a long, long time on this site so many thanks. No matter what other brand or type of tv I looked at I kept coming back to Panasonic, the reviews and specifications of both of the tvs were just too good to ignore. I'll be using it for general SD and HD tv, games and films (ps3).

However I need some advice with regards to the price, is the V20 really worth the extra cash? Am i going to notice a markable difference? Is there anyone out there with both tvs? Did you notice a big difference?

The price for the G20 is about £640 (RS - inc 5 year guarantee) and for the V20 about £1100 (inc WiFi dongle and 5 year guarantee). I want to get the dongle for the G20 so it works out at about 640 + 80 = £720. Between the two sets, thats a difference of £380. Is it worth it?

I have found prices online for the V20 for £950-£1000, at places like amazon, currys, dixons and the like but no where does it say anything about the 5 year guarantee so not sure if that is included?

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

2. teutonik

teutonik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Please try to wait 24 hours before bumping, especially during work hours :) Lots of threads on the same topic (especially in the plasma forum) as well as reviews of both

4. teutonik

teutonik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry about that, I got ahead of myself a bit there, just overly excited for no apparent reason!

5. the klang

the klang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    looked at these last week in romford,
    i asked the sales man the same question and he said the v20 has a better grey scale and calabration menu or some thing like that.
    to be honest the v20 looks better on the wall with the metal trim imo.

6. Red Jedi

Red Jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The difference between the s20 and g20 seems significant but only about £80 ish? But the difference between the v20 and g20 not as much, but much more cost. For over a £1000, you could get a 3D? Have you considered this?

7. teutonik

teutonik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're exactly right, looking through reviews and forums the difference between the V20 and G20 two seems hard to spot yet there is this large mark up in price. Yes, I have looked at 3D tvs but to be honest, for me, the content that is actually available doesn't seem to justify a purchase (and I don't have sky). The whole 3D scene seems a bit gimmicky to me atm. I'd rather not invest in 3D yet and wait a few years before I can make a more informed decision if this would a technology I'd like to own.

Interestingly though, which 3D tv do you refer to for over £1000?

I'm going to pop into a local store at lunch today and have another look. If I can try to haggle the V20 down to about 1k (inc dongle and 5yg) then I might just go for it and cancel out everything I just said!! If not then I'll go for the G20.

In terms of aesthetics I'm finding it really hard to differentiate between the two, one day I like the silver trim, another I like the black!!!! Decisions, decisions, decisions

8. teutonik

teutonik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just did it! Got the G20 in the end and gave the credit card a rite good bashing! Local Panasonic store price matched the RS price for the G20 so I took it along with a wifi dongle.

Lowest price they could give for the V20 was like £1150. Other than the fact that the V20 has got slightly better speakers and slightly better blacks I just couldn't justify the additional £400 ish. If I wanted better sound I could just buy an additional sound system!

I think I made the correct decision with so much choice out there. There have been some problems associated (although minor in my opinion) with this tv no one tv is perfect in every way. For what you get for your money this is one of the best tvs out there.

I can't wait to hook up the ps3 and get things really moving!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to initially run the tv in? What is the best thing to do for the first few hours?

Many thanks, I'll keep you updated on the progress of the tv (and if it's a buzzer!!)

9. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    First 200 hours, keep the settings low and don't play the same thing / watch same channel for too long. I think the THX mode works well for the run in period but check the owners threads over in the plasma section

10. teutonik

teutonik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I'll have a look now

11. Dumachi

Dumachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Diffs between V20 and G20:

V20 has black level of 0.009cdm2
    G20 has black level of 0.02cdm2

V20 Has a better anti glare filter
    V20 has silver chassis

12. teutonik

teutonik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks for that info, I went for the G20 in the end as my wallet couldn't justify the price difference compared with the V20. As a "normal" user will my eyes really notice the black level differences? I did like the look of the V20 but think the G20 still looks the business.

Got the telly home last night, really easy and quick setup. Wifi dongle found my wireless router no problem at all. Found all channels fine. Watched Aprentice in HD, looked great, even the fast scrolling white titles at the end of the programme - no sign of phosphor trailing. I reckon I've got pretty good hearing and I heard NO buzzing whatsoever unless I stick my head behind the tv when it's on mute. Will keep you updated on the buzzing and if things stay the same or get worse.

Definitely looks better in THX mode compared to dynamic. Just played around slightly with sharpness and contrast levels but nothing too complicated. Need to hook up the ps3 and put it through it's paces with Killzone and BF:BC2. Will keep my eye on any indications of IR.

I do have a question - how do you put it in game mode, I couldn't find that setting anywhere?!

Thanks

13. kreeeee

kreeeee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    There is no need for game mode as it doesn't reduce the latency on this set.

14. Dumachi

Dumachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141

As a normal user, probs not unless you saw them side by side, more than likely you will appreciate the deep blacks the G20 has to

15. Red Jedi

Red Jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    How's the G20?

I should be getting one in the next week or two, but have noticed that prices have crept up - perhaps there's always a little surge in the run up to xmas?

Anyway, is it good? Are you pleased?

16. teutonik

teutonik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I have definately appreciated everything in the first few hours of viewing...so far so good. Like you said I'd only ever notice the differences if they were next to each other, that is very unlikely to happen!

17. teutonik

teutonik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Really good so far, really pleased with it. Setup was SO easy and straight forward. Menus easy to navigate, HD looked brilliant. Watched Apprentice on BBC HD last night and there was a dark night scene from canary Wharf and it looked amazing. Detail spot on. Would definately recommend. 42" is a bargain.

If I get time tonight I'll set up the ps3 on it

Had no - I've been looking - problems that have been already well documented on these forums.

18. carl_d

carl_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    seriously debating the V20 seeing as its on Play.com for less than 900 (tho i dont think it has a 5yr warranty on it)

hmmm...... just wish that EPG didnt have adverts... makes me miffed

19. kreeeee

kreeeee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You can get rid of the EPG adverts by setting a non-existent postcode and turning the TV off via the power button on the set rather than using standby.

20. teutonik

teutonik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have been playing ps3 last couple of nights and it looks great. Saw on here a couple of posts about IR from ammo counters and HUDs in BF:BC2 (which is what I mostly play) however after a couple of long - 3ish - hour sessions no IR and I was really looking for it. Saying that however, I do play most of my online sessions in "hardcore" which removes your ammo counters and HUD on the bottom right or left parts of the screen respectively.

Gaming is an absolute dream, no noticible lag at all, smooth sceens and some of the maps look real!!

As Vickster mentioned, I've been running the tv in on THX mode using mid to low contrast, brightness and sharpness settings.

So far so great!

21. teutonik

teutonik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What does this EPG stand for and wht don't you like it? Where do you see EPG? Thanks

22. Red Jedi

Red Jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Good stuff - have you watched any sport? Thats the main thing that I'll be watching - may have the week after next! Wall mounted! :D

23. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Isn't EPG something like Electronic Programme Guide - the Freeview listing? Could be totally wrong though :D

24. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
  25. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Cheers Curly. I even spelt programme correctly unlike wikipedia ;)

26. teutonik

teutonik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  27. teutonik

teutonik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately not no, not had chance or haven't been in my flat during the weekend to get chance to watch any sports. Will endeavour to try asap and keep you updated.

28. teutonik

teutonik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Strange that you both mention this annoying advert problem. When I set up the tv I did enter my valid postcode. When I go into the tv guide and look through the EPG I don't see any adverts. All i can see is a grey rectangular box on the left hand side of the screen with VIERA written in the middle (do a google image search for "panasonic G20 EPG" and there is a good example from the cnet review site).

29. NeilF

NeilF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    None of you G20 owners were tempted by the Panny L42D25 LED instead?

30. Andy C

Andy C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just picked up a good deal in the Panasonic 42V20 from the Panny store in Camberley...

TV ... 1099 (1299 - 150 sale, minus an extra 50)
    BD65 Bluray Player ... 50 (upgraded from the free BD45)
    IXOS HDMI Cable ... Free
    5 Yr Warranty ... Free
    Delivery & Set Up ... Free (they even rewired and tidied up all my devices and made sure they all worked ok)

Yeah you can get it cheaper in high street stores but im happy!

A.