1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4200, sd220e &fs2av...wot about music?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Sven Erik, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Sven Erik

Sven Erik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :confused:
    hi everyone... it's my first thread so be gentle with me please...

I am new to the whole game having previously owned nothing but an old Sony Midi system...don't cringe...
    so I am about to buy a surround sound system system...probably spending around £900.
    I have spoken to some friends, read the magazines, and now I have been reading your comments ( which have been more informative than anything else !!) I know it's entry level stuff for me at this time but I am after as much advice as possible so I can go into the stores ask for Demos and KNOW what I am talking about.

What do I plan to buy ? well... I think I want a Marantz 4200, Toshiba sd220e and some Mission FS2AVs ( to keep the room looking "nice " according to my wife!). We want a 28" widescreen TV.

I want a good surround system ( hence the choice above) however am concerned that the separates I have chosen may not be good for CD playback from what I have been reading ( but bearing in mind that I am used to an 11 year old sony Midi system then I expect it to sound pretty good). So can anyone shed any light on what I should be looking out for ?

Are there any downsides to putting these components together ? do they all integrate well ? do they compliment each other ? does anyone have a similar setup ? will each piece have enough connectors for what I want etc ? rather than the fs2avs ? would an acousitmass 6 set be better for music ( what is everyone's gripe about Bose here , I believed they were ok..?) does the component Video out work right through to the TV etc etc... I just don;t know.
    apologies for the length of this but I have a lot to ask..so this may take several days to get through ( I won't be here all the time so I will be reading this mainly at nights..bare with me please.)

I will be going to a store soon for demos, but only once I know what I am looking for...

thanks in advance

Sven.
    :confused:

2. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If Bose were cheap, they wouldn't have a problem - but they're not. Basically you get £300 (if that) performance for £1000. Not a bad deal for Bose I suppose....
    There are umpteen better solutions for the money than an Acoustimass6 setup (£500) - have a look at The Mordaunt Short Premiere pack (although for £500 I think that's a bit pricey to be honest for what you get - damn sight better value than the Bose though). For £300, there's also the Eltax Stargate X2 package - fairly small and neat, and supposed to be pretty good (never heard it myself though)
    http://www.eltax.com/com/products/prod-side1.phtml?serienavn=Stargate X.2 5.1&type=2

Toshiba DVDs are probably as good as anyone's, so you shouldn't have a problem there - obviously though for the component outputs on the DVD player to be of any use, you'll need a TV set with component inputs. Not many have them, but some of the higher end Toshiba's do (probably a few others as well, but they aren't that common. especially at the budget end.)
    RGB is usually just as good though, and most modern TVs and DVD players handle this no problem (but do check first, to make sure the model you are interested in does).

The Marantz SR4200 is a decent basic receiver, but IMO it's beginning to look a shade expensive now at around £280, for what you get - still it's a decent performer for the price.
    As for the FS2AV speaker set - well I think it's an acquired taste myself. Have to admit to being not very keen, but others seem to like them. They do sound a bit different. EmpireDirect have the set on special at £370.

Personally I think you can do better, soundwise, for £650 - but then if you absolutely must have very small flat speakers......

If your £900 budget is for the surround sound and DVD setup (without the TV), then rest assured, you can get a decent setup for that, but then some setups are more decent than others :)

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It's still one of the most musical of AV amps in the price range if CD replay is important to you.

4. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sven Erik... thats not too bad a choice of components for starters.

Tosh
    as above, I dont think there is much beating Toshiba DVD players for the price... best picture by far. if you can use the component out fine, if not .. no problem - you can still go RGB to the TV.

Marantz
    nothing wrong with the Marantz amp... though maybe check out other models... Yamaha, Denon and Sony etc, all have decent amps for this price range. if you watch any TV or videos, then make sure you got dpl II... big improvement.

Mission
    there are a good number of people using the Mission FS2s here - all are happy. excellent for both DVDs and music.
    they have a nice warm detailed sound, perfect for me with a wide range of music.
    some people are very anti- sub/sat packages in general but there is nothing inherently wrong with them... some (including the FS2s) are capable of very good sound quality.

as is, any of these component together will be better than your old Sony mini system for starters... but try and get a demo obviously.

go for it!

5. Sven Erik

Sven Erik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MartinCo...thanks for that, it is one thing I have been concerned about as some people seem to be saying otherwise. Do you have this very setup ? I can't remember as I have read loads of threads now.

IanJ...Excellent.... this is precisely why I was advised to go for this amp by a friend. What is the problem with AV amps and playing regular audio ? how does this work with Av surround speakers as well ? does all the sound come out of two speakers and the sub, or what ? ( yes you can tell I haven't been for a demo !)

MikeK...sound advice mate. ( oh no I sound like I should be on Big Brother) this is why I like this site cos you get the advice from the peopl who use these systems. Yes, unfortunately the speakers are a must so they are wife friendly...otherwise a prada accessory or Gucci handbag might be in order to compensate...but then that would be out of my surround system budget.
    ;)

6. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yes... I've got the FS2s... (kind of implied it with the "perfect for me with a wide range of music" bit if you read it back).

I've moved from a conventional Tannoy 5 speaker setup and dont miss it at all.. in stereo, the FS2s are far superior. the difference in size and floor space used/ available is wonderful though.. you really dont realise the speakers are there until the sound comes out.

I'm using a Denon amp instead of a Marantz though... minor difference though.

as to your question, there is no real problem with AV amps specifically...
    just that some home cinema amps arent good playing stereo/ CD sources.. conversely some are reasonable/ very good...
    this is all in comparison to a decent stereo amp of the same price though.

since you are upgrading from a sony mini hifi, I dont think this will be a problem...
    nothing wrong with that, just means you are probably not an "audiophile" with golden ears so a decent sounding home cinema amp will be perfect for you.

think the list you have is a good starter bar... maybe some minor alterations and preferably a demo or two.

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Price is the main problem. For £400 you can buy an excellent stereo amp that will provide you with two quality channels of amplification.

For the same £400, the AV amp has to provide five or more channels of amplification, plus video switching facilities plus more inputs and outputs than you can shake a stick.

If you compare a £400 stereo amp with a £1,200 AV amp, which is a lot fairer, you may find a lot less difference in stereo ability.

Playing regular audio on an AV amp, the sound will be reproduced through the front two speakers and the sub.

8. Sven Erik

Sven Erik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys.... once again..thanks for the info. It's all making more sense by the day.
    I am trying to find somewhere in Glasgow/Edinburgh area where I can demo this setup...

Cheers

Sven

9. 7 of 9

7 of 9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the only component i have that u said is the marantz sr 4200 and it is amazing excellent sound on music and movies, how they would go together by the reviews i have read u would get excellent sound i think on movies and music

10. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'd definitely check out some other amps, at least to confirm that the rated watts per channel of the 4200 is accurate...(a few mentions that maybe its not, at least on some other Marantz models).

you want at least 75W per channel... maybe more.

have a check on Denon, Yamaha, Sony etc for similar models with DPL II.

also... try and buy all 3 from one supplier... then haggle.
    someone like hifijunkies or homecinemaheaven will do a deal if you do this.

apart from these, the only other things you need are an optical or coax cable from dvd to amp (£15-25), and maybe a scart cable... the rest of the cables are provided with the FS2.

the supplier may throw these in if you ask nicely.:)