42" TV. Freeview HD, ~£550?

Gingerbread Man

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there folks.

My parents want a new TV. They currently have a 32" Philips TV which is starting to play up, so it needs to be replaced.

They are also wanting to upgrade to a 42" TV. Before the 32" was a 21" TV, so the jump to 32" was big, but once they got used to it, they realised that they could get quite a bit bigger without going too big in their sitting room.

• So 40/ 42" please chaps.
  • They also have Freeview, so a Freeview HD tuner would be good. (Although this is still mostly SD).
  • They're not bothered by 3D content.
  • They also want to spent ~£500/ ~600 maybe. The keener the price, the better for them.
  • My mother spent years using an old VCR on their current 32" TV which looked like you were watching the picture through a layer of smeared Vaseline, but that's somehow watchable to her. My Dad on the other hand would like a good quality picture.
  • I'd like to add that the folks would quite like to be able to watch iPlayer if possible. Something that I originally overlooked.

I've had a very brief look, having always been a Panasonic fan myself.
The Panasonic TX-P42GT30B seemed to be a good shout having read around.

I'll keep looking, but you lot seem to be the most knowledgeable, so I'll appreciate your wise words.

Last edited:
Panasonic 42X50 720p plasma? As good as anything for the uses and well under budget

PANASONIC Viera TX-P42X50B HD Ready 42" Plasma TV buy online | Currys

Maybe see if you can find a retailer offering a free/cheap extended warranty? e.g. TPS if in Manchester TPS - www.tps.uk.com - panasonic - Panasonic - Panasonic TX-P42X50B 42-inch Plasma TV

Or plenty left for a BR player or even a sound bar

The 50" version is under £500 if they want a bigger jump :)

Googled it, looks nice. The first review said that it had no iPlayer. Not a big thing, but something I hadn't thought about and something I think my Mum would use quite a lot.

Sorry about that, I'll add that to the first post.

Ok, if you want iPlayer, steer clear of the LG LS models (which are probably the ones in budget) - apparently it doesn't work

Samsung seem to have the best SMART offerings - presume the broadband router is within ethernet range of the where the TV will be as otherwise you'll need a dongle (wifi TVs probably out of budget)

This 40" from Samsung ticks the boxes (except it's 40" but Samsung don't make 42s)

Buy Samsung UE40ES5500 LED HD 1080p Smart TV, 40 Inch with Freeview HD online at JohnLewis.com

This ticks them all too, including 3D Buy Toshiba 40TL963B LED HD 1080p 3D Smart TV, 40 Inch with Freeview HD online at JohnLewis.com

A bit more if you want a 5 year warranty but a Panasonic

Panasonic VIERA TXL42E5B | 42 inch LED TV 1080p HD Ready Freeview HD | Richer Sounds

If you can still find one, a Panasonic 42G30 or GT30 will meet the needs too - but now an older model not produced for about 6 months

Looking at your Samsung recommendations. I've cross linked to the Samsung UE40D5520 which looks like a good budget shout. I can find it online for delivery...

Having a Panasonic myself, I find it's Freesat viewing fine. But having read that the EPG on Freeview has a big advert constantly down the left hand side has put me off. How naff and annoying.

My folks have the D5520 - good TV, but the sound is weak. They have added a soundbar now as neither hear well and my dad won't wear his hearing aid

Looking at your Samsung recommendations. I've cross linked to the Samsung UE40D5520 which looks like a good budget shout. I can find it online for delivery...

Having a Panasonic myself, I find it's Freesat viewing fine. But having read that the EPG on Freeview has a big advert constantly down the left hand side has put me off. How naff and annoying.

There's no adverts in the EPG of the 2012 Panasonic models.:thumbsup:

Regards

TPS

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom