42'' TV for parents, LCD/LED ? good value ?

darcym

Established Member
Reaction score
For Christmas, I'm looking to get a new TV for my mother, and finally move her from CRT to a flat pannel display.

I'd like to get her something around the 42'' size, and something "good" in terms of a brand (she's always done well with Panasonic). It doesn't have to be top notch as she's not that into it but as I'm out of the AV loop (I normally only get into it when I'm going to buy something with a big spend for myself) a few things have changed.

1.) LCD or LED, is there a pro/con to this as LED TV's appear to have come on a fair bit since I last looked ?

2.) within the quality main brands, is there a 42'' model I should be looking at that is a known good value for money model (sometimes there are those models which everyone gets, because they are such value for money).

don't have a budget in mind as prices seem to vary from £400 to £650 for what I'd class as entry level TV's at that size, so what should I be looking at.

thanks.

Panasonic 42" ST30 500 at RS.
LED are LCDs just with LED back lighting, plasma are better IMO especially for 400-600.

Last edited:
Happy to look at plasmas too, but with some big names dropping out of the market on plasma, I thought (wrongly it would seem) that it was a dying technology and LCD was being pushed more

don't need anything like 3D or that, she just wouldn't use it

S30 a good choice then :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom