42-PWD8 Lip Sync

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by SJudge, Mar 24, 2006.

1. SJudge

SJudge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 42-PWD8 Plasma fed from composite video from Sky+ and Panasonic DVD players. Just about every Sky+ channel exhibits lip sync problems (voice before video) to varying extents. The input from DVD also has lip sync. Everything is fed through a Denon AVR-2800. I have tried S-Video direct from Sky+ (and DVD) to Plasma and there's still an error in lip sync.

I have read these forums (and others) and have worked out it's the Plasma delaying the video due to the extra processing it does. I also know about boxes (Felston) you can buy to delay inputs and the possibility of changing the AV amp for one with configurable audio delay.

The delay varies depending on the signal. In fact the instructions for the PWD8 explicitly say "This plasma display uses special image processing. Hence a slight time lag may occur between image and audio, depending on the type of signal. However, this is not a malfunction."

My first question is, what signals (signal type and connector type) are delayed the most? Some people on this forum state they don't get lip sync delays with the PWD8. They also seem to have the (optional) component board and/or use the JS RGB to VGA converter. If I used a RGB to VGA converter from the output of the AV amp and fed VGA (rather than composite) into the PWD8 would the plasma do less processing on the signal? (and hence reduce delay). Has anyone who has previously had delays solved the problem this way?

My 2nd question is, has anyone solved this problem by purchasing the Yamaha DSPAX757SE? (which has configuarable audio delay). Is the delay sufficient to solve the problem?

As an aside, I find it hard to believe this problem exists and that Plasma (and LCD) manufacturers have designed in delays in this way.

SJudge

2. UrbanSurvival

UrbanSurvival

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

Q1. I run all equipment into an Arcam amp and then component - 15 pin D-sub and although the amp has lip sync on it I have no need for this at all so maybe this is the smoothest connection

Q2. I dont think they have 'designed' the delays, these will come about from processing the video signal and applying any scaling that may need to be done.

I would have thought changing the input from composite to component would have a reasonable difference on PQ, not just lip sync.

Cheers

3. SJudge

SJudge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. Sorry, by 'designed in' I meant they should be concious it would cause problem - rather than added in delay for the sake of it. My previous (older) Pioneer plasma didn't have this problem - but probably didn't do so as much processing to make the picture better.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    is the audio ahead of, or behind the picture?
    And why on earth are you using composite? your only seeing half of what this screen can do! MADNESS!
    Delays have not been "desinged" in they are side effects of processing Audio and video seperately

5. SJudge

SJudge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The audio is ahead of the video (mentioned in my original post). I am using composite because...

- the amp switches this (and not component)
    - it's what's common (output) by all my inputs (2 x DVD, VCR, Sky+)
    - It's what's provided by the PWD8 without buying a RGB->VGA box or PWD8 extra input cards

In fact, the composite PQ is great - much the same as S-Video direct from DVD to PWD8.

I am more worried about poor lip sync than PQ.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    and what "mode" do you run your AMP in? you really are mising out on alot connecting in this manor especially for DVD which you are converting from component to composite in the Player and then from composite to RGBHV in plasma ( a long way round!)

7. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    hmm I get no lip sync from mine.. but I am using component input for everything.. maybe the composite input is doing more processing before hitting the screen and making the issue worse.

Matt

8. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I have the RX-V457 which also has the audio delay function but I've never had to use it.

I also have everything on component going into the Amp and then component to VGA cable going into VGA port on panel. I have experienced lip sync problems about twice in 9 months but simply putting sky into standby and switching it back on again has resolved that.

9. gpa

gpa
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    I had the very same issue with my pw6 and pw8hd, my denon 3803 audio delay sorted the problem out.:thumbsup:

All my sources except sky are component fed

10. SJudge

SJudge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hornydragon - I understand I should get better PQ with component, S-Video or even digital (fibre optic) from the DVD. However, I really can't tell the difference between these and composite, even when S-Video is fed into the plasma. For the previous reasons, it's more convenient for me to use composite. Thanks for helping but it's not really the picture quality I am worried about. The PWD8 provides a fantastic picture compared to the much higher resolution Pioneer PDP501 (but older) I used to have. If using component solves the lip sync problem (the original question being - does it?), I agree the component may actually help PQ as well.

Matt Horne - Thanks for the information. What I really need is someone who has changed from using from composite to component in order to solve the lip sync issue.

Thanks

SJudge

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    To ensure you solve the issue all i can reconmend is buying a new AMP with audio delay (they arent that expensive these days) at this point take the ppertunity to upgrade connections (I hope your not running the plasma in DYNAMIC mode)

Upgrading to component may help but it wont solve the issue totally (IMO)

12. SJudge

SJudge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hornydragon - Thanks for the tips. I have already taken it out of dynamic mode :) Yes, a new AMP would also let me move to component.

gpa - Thanks, I'll certainly look into Denon as well as Yamaha