1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

42" PV500 to DVD Questions

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Moncs, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Moncs

Moncs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Looking for some advice on what the best DVD-Player / recorder to get that would get the best from my Panasonic PV500?

I have read a few things about scaling which I admist I have no idea what it is for how it works, so please bear with me :D

Looking at the Panasonic DVDS97EBS DVD Player which has an HDMI connection, would
    this provide a better picture than my other alternative which is a Panasonic SC-HT1500 Home Cinema system connected via component?

Also, does anyone know if the DVDS97EBS has the ability to add a surround sound system to it?

:thumbsup:

2. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,523
    It is recommended to get a dedicated DVD player, usually an older type without all the bells & whistles (scaler, HDMI) and connect it via component.

3. Moncs

Moncs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, whats the reasoning behing that? :thumbsup:

4. thornton

thornton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I can make two comments.

1. I am VERY pleased with picture quality from the S97 connected to a 37PV500 via HDMI. It works fine at both 720p and 1080i, though there is probably not much point in using 1080i given the telly has 720 lines.

2. The S97 has an optical 5.1 out that I feed to a Denon amp and Genie speakers and works great. It also has multiple line outs for DVD-Audio but I have not checked that out.

5. Carlos13

Carlos13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By who...?

6. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    There are a few threads about DVD-PDP combinations here if you look around. Sometimes there are just cases where particular DVDs and PDPs do not 'work well' together, but apart from those specifics there are general points to bear in mind, as far as I can tell.

The key issue seem to be that both the DVD and PDP will have the ability to scale the image and/or or convert it from interlaced to progressive scan. The point being that there is no benefit in buying an expensive DVD player if it is still not going to process the signal any better than the PDP will.

An HDMI connection is not an instant guarantee of improved PQ (over YUV) in the way that YUV is a dead cert to be better than composite - especially if your PDP does a better conversion/scaling job than the DVD.

Personally, my plan is to stick with an old, YUV, non-prog DVD for now and wait until Blu-ray comes out before I upgrade my DVD.

7. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,523
  8. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rotfl:

I´m curious what I´ve done "wrong" that I can clearly see the difference between "scaled by Plasma to 720p" and "scaled by DVDplayer to 720p"... maybe it´s just me :D

9. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm getting confused, sorry - can I connect a progressive DVD source via component? Am thinking of the PWD7, which won't take 720p at 50Hz via HDMI.

Also, I assume the PWD7 accepts 480p? And that DVD players which can scale and output 720p will also be able to output 480p from a DVD?

And K0rn I assume your point is that you find the picture better when it's been scaled by the DVD player rather than internally?

10. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly. Waaayyyy better than with an unscaled 480P picture via Component.

I didn´t expect this either as my DVDPlayer is actually pretty good but I was tought a lesson here. External scaling helps a LOT getting the best PQ. It was really easily noticable...