1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

42'' Plasmas: Pioneer, Hitachi?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mbianchi, Mar 15, 2005.

1. mbianchi

mbianchi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Expert members,

I am completely new to Plasma and LCD TVs and I am looking for advice from experts in this forum.

I want to buy a 42'' Plasma or 37'' LCD to hang on the wall of my bedroom. A socket is already installed on the wall, which has two entries to take both the standard aerial and the Hotbird satellite.

90% of the time, I will be using the screen on the wall to watch Hotbird satellite channels only. I do not care at all about radio channels and also DVDs capabilities are not very important. What is very important is: 1) get a picture which is as clear as possible from the Hotbird satellite; 2) get a TV which is as silent as possible (since the panel will be placed in the bedroom, a meter or so away from the bed) and emanates as little radiation as possible. Good looks may play a role but are definetely not a crucial factor in my choice. Money is also not so important.

I have seen a couple of messages in the forum of people complaining about the noise emanated by Pioneer HDE plasmas and I would appreciate any suggestions on which plasma or LCD television to buy on the basis of my preferences stated above.

Many thanks
    marco bianchi

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The cable outlet, it's up where you want to install the screen I'm inferring? In which case your biggest issue is building work. Your hotbird outlet is presumably meant to connect to a set top box? Or is it video or RF out of a box elsewhere? You have big fat zero chance of getting a DVD picture up there without a RF modulator which will make the picture almost unwatchable on a 42" screen. Basically, you have the wrong cable in the wall. One of the Hitachis with a completely built in tuner will get you TV, and if the 2nd aerial is modulated hotbird, you could combine them and get that too, it will not be very good, but it will get you a picture. The Pioneer is out, it has a separate media box with a proprietary cable to connect to the screen. All connections are made to the media box. Perhaps one of the Hitachi owners could give an indication of what to expect from an analogue RF connection to the appropriate model, ie no media box? A 3rd way would be the Panasonic Viera, with a freeview reciever built in.

3. mbianchi

mbianchi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAV,

thank you for your reply. The cable outlet is up where I want to install the screen. I have forgot to mention that I have another point on the wall, a socket installed with a tunnel (for electric cables) behind, going from that side of the wall to the wall which is at the other side of the room, via the ceiling. This basically means that I can insert cables inside that tunnel if I want some of them come back at the other side of the room and without seeing them on the floor (as they go above the suspended ceiling). I don't know if this improves the situation in any way.

You are correct in saying that I have a hotbird set top box too. This is a small (about 15cm by 20cm) and light box with 2 scarts. As for the wall, I have two cables inside the wall. One is directly connected to the satellite dish outdoor, the other is connected to the outdoor aerial.

marco

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You'll need some more wire in there somehow, for any screen, and put your electronics wherever the cables exit. This might mean a remote control relay as well.

5. mbianchi

mbianchi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW,
    thank you. Does this mean that I could use either Hitachi or Pioneer in this case? Also, do you have any suggestion about noise? Is it true that these Plasmas are noisy in a room where there is no background noise at night time?
    marco

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If your pipe is big enough for the cable, the pioneer media box could be put in the next room. Most of the noise with a Pioneer is from the box, which has a fan. It's possible with any plasma to get a buzzer, a bit more likely with Hitachi than other makes I think. If your pipe is less than 50mm, you are probably best with a Panasonic, as you will have to terminate the cables on site, the Pioneer or Hitachi media box links are too big to fit through anything smaller, you can't cut the plugs off. The Hitaci self contained variety would be OK too, just they are the most frequently complained about for buzzing. All plasmas make some noise, but you should have to press your ear to it to hear it.

7. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    NEC 42VR5 is fanless

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yes indeed, in panel only models the choice is good. You'll need side speakers with that though, a very expensive option. As the man has few cables, I assume no audio, he will need audio on the plasma, that's why, very much against my usual advice, I'm suggesting TV's.