42" Plasma that is not HD Ready *now*, but can be upgraded

andyjenkins

Established Member
Reaction score
For a number of weeks I've been contemplating either a Panasonic PV500 or Pioneer 436XDE. However, something has recently come to my attention (not sure how I missed it earlier) that may change things slightly.

I have a Sky setup - with TiVo, and a non HD DVD player. Whilst the thought of SkyHD is tempting, what is not is using Sky+ - TiVo is much better (IMHO). I have a funny feeling that TiVo will not be able to work with a Sky+ box - so that presents me with a problem.

So - are there any 42" Plasmas that are good at SD, but which can be upgraded to HD when I'm a little more open to other HD sources? I've seen a couple of Plasmas that seem to fit this concept - but from what I read they're not as good (once upgrade) as a natively supporting HD TV (like the two I've already suggested).

I've now seen the new Panasonics - but put off by the silver bezel around the edges (I want an all black display). Maybe the PV500's will now come down to a price which makes this "buy it SD now and upgrade it later" concept redundant?

andyjenkins said:
For a number of weeks I've been contemplating either a Panasonic PV500 or Pioneer 436XDE. However, something has recently come to my attention (not sure how I missed it earlier) that may change things slightly.

I have a Sky setup - with TiVo, and a non HD DVD player. Whilst the thought of SkyHD is tempting, what is not is using Sky+ - TiVo is much better (IMHO). I have a funny feeling that TiVo will not be able to work with a Sky+ box - so that presents me with a problem.

So - are there any 42" Plasmas that are good at SD, but which can be upgraded to HD when I'm a little more open to other HD sources? I've seen a couple of Plasmas that seem to fit this concept - but from what I read they're not as good (once upgrade) as a natively supporting HD TV (like the two I've already suggested).

I've now seen the new Panasonics - but put off by the silver bezel around the edges (I want an all black display). Maybe the PV500's will now come down to a price which makes this "buy it SD now and upgrade it later" concept redundant?

A Panasonic 42PWD8 might fit the bill. SD panel but will be able to display HD stuff I believe with the appropriate boards.
http://www.av-sales.co.uk/Panasonic-TH42PHD8BS-33-16.htm

Looks a nice enough TV - but does'nt seem cheap enough to warrant the purchase of a non HD TV - to be later upgraded to HD does it?

Any other (cheaper than HD) TVs that fit the bill ?

I guess I should just go for the HD straight away though right ?

you could buy either a 42 PWD8 or PHD8 NOw and worry about an HDMI board when you get HD, Tivo unless modded can look quite poor on a 42" screen so consider Sky+ or modding Tivo

PWD8 is £1080 form AV-sales forum offer fully HD compatible (with optional HDMI board) and teh best SD PQ on the market. Whats not to like?

hornydragon said:
you could buy either a 42 PWD8 or PHD8 NOw and worry about an HDMI board when you get HD, Tivo unless modded can look quite poor on a 42" screen so consider Sky+ or modding Tivo

Yeah, Mode 0 here I come :D

PWD8 is £1080 form AV-sales forum offer fully HD compatible (with optional HDMI board) and teh best SD PQ on the market. Whats not to like?

Looks like Damo-in-sale linked to the wrong TV then, right? instead of http://www.av-sales.co.uk/Panasonic-...D8BS-33-16.htm (showing as the PHD8) it should be http://www.av-sales.co.uk/Panasonic-TH42PWD8BK-16-1.htm (PWD8).

Looks like a damn cheap TV if you ask me. Hmmm .. I'm back to square one though .. can a SD plasma, compressing a HD picture (from DVD or SkyHD or whereever) really impress? Guess I'll have to wait for some to try it first and let their feelings known.

Who'd have a thought buying such a wonderful peice of equipment like Plasma could be so troublesome eh? :cool:

andyjenkins said:
can a SD plasma, compressing a HD picture (from DVD or SkyHD or whereever) really impress? Guess I'll have to wait for some to try it first and let their feelings known.

Yes I am watching 1080i through component (dvhs tapes) now in my PW8...and damn nice it looks to :)

Matt

andyjenkins said:
Who'd have a thought buying such a wonderful peice of equipment like Plasma could be so troublesome eh? :cool:
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Wonderful my arse....................you can spend the price of a PWD8 twice on getting the best out of it Scaler ISF calib cables sources etc. Out of the box like most its no where near its best....

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom