42" Plasma that is not HD Ready *now*, but can be upgraded

andyjenkins

Novice Member
For a number of weeks I've been contemplating either a Panasonic PV500 or Pioneer 436XDE. However, something has recently come to my attention (not sure how I missed it earlier) that may change things slightly.

I have a Sky setup - with TiVo, and a non HD DVD player. Whilst the thought of SkyHD is tempting, what is not is using Sky+ - TiVo is much better (IMHO). I have a funny feeling that TiVo will not be able to work with a Sky+ box - so that presents me with a problem.

So - are there any 42" Plasmas that are good at SD, but which can be upgraded to HD when I'm a little more open to other HD sources? I've seen a couple of Plasmas that seem to fit this concept - but from what I read they're not as good (once upgrade) as a natively supporting HD TV (like the two I've already suggested).

I've now seen the new Panasonics - but put off by the silver bezel around the edges (I want an all black display). Maybe the PV500's will now come down to a price which makes this "buy it SD now and upgrade it later" concept redundant?

damo_in_sale

andyjenkins said:
For a number of weeks I've been contemplating either a Panasonic PV500 or Pioneer 436XDE. However, something has recently come to my attention (not sure how I missed it earlier) that may change things slightly.

I have a Sky setup - with TiVo, and a non HD DVD player. Whilst the thought of SkyHD is tempting, what is not is using Sky+ - TiVo is much better (IMHO). I have a funny feeling that TiVo will not be able to work with a Sky+ box - so that presents me with a problem.

So - are there any 42" Plasmas that are good at SD, but which can be upgraded to HD when I'm a little more open to other HD sources? I've seen a couple of Plasmas that seem to fit this concept - but from what I read they're not as good (once upgrade) as a natively supporting HD TV (like the two I've already suggested).

I've now seen the new Panasonics - but put off by the silver bezel around the edges (I want an all black display). Maybe the PV500's will now come down to a price which makes this "buy it SD now and upgrade it later" concept redundant?

A Panasonic 42PWD8 might fit the bill. SD panel but will be able to display HD stuff I believe with the appropriate boards.
http://www.av-sales.co.uk/Panasonic-TH42PHD8BS-33-16.htm

andyjenkins

Novice Member
Looks a nice enough TV - but does'nt seem cheap enough to warrant the purchase of a non HD TV - to be later upgraded to HD does it?

Any other (cheaper than HD) TVs that fit the bill ?

I guess I should just go for the HD straight away though right ?

hornydragon

you could buy either a 42 PWD8 or PHD8 NOw and worry about an HDMI board when you get HD, Tivo unless modded can look quite poor on a 42" screen so consider Sky+ or modding Tivo

PWD8 is £1080 form AV-sales forum offer fully HD compatible (with optional HDMI board) and teh best SD PQ on the market. Whats not to like?

andyjenkins

Novice Member
hornydragon said:
you could buy either a 42 PWD8 or PHD8 NOw and worry about an HDMI board when you get HD, Tivo unless modded can look quite poor on a 42" screen so consider Sky+ or modding Tivo

Yeah, Mode 0 here I come :D

PWD8 is £1080 form AV-sales forum offer fully HD compatible (with optional HDMI board) and teh best SD PQ on the market. Whats not to like?

Looks like Damo-in-sale linked to the wrong TV then, right? instead of http://www.av-sales.co.uk/Panasonic-...D8BS-33-16.htm (showing as the PHD8) it should be http://www.av-sales.co.uk/Panasonic-TH42PWD8BK-16-1.htm (PWD8).

Looks like a damn cheap TV if you ask me. Hmmm .. I'm back to square one though .. can a SD plasma, compressing a HD picture (from DVD or SkyHD or whereever) really impress? Guess I'll have to wait for some to try it first and let their feelings known.

Who'd have a thought buying such a wonderful peice of equipment like Plasma could be so troublesome eh? :cool:

Matt Horne

andyjenkins said:
can a SD plasma, compressing a HD picture (from DVD or SkyHD or whereever) really impress? Guess I'll have to wait for some to try it first and let their feelings known.

Yes I am watching 1080i through component (dvhs tapes) now in my PW8...and damn nice it looks to :)

Matt

hornydragon

andyjenkins said:
Who'd have a thought buying such a wonderful peice of equipment like Plasma could be so troublesome eh? :cool:
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Wonderful my arse....................you can spend the price of a PWD8 twice on getting the best out of it Scaler ISF calib cables sources etc. Out of the box like most its no where near its best....

damo_in_sale

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom