1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

42" Plasma Head To Head - Who Wins??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Symey, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Symey

Symey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chaps

Its taken me a good while to whittle down my choices but they are as follows (I think). I wanted something that looks very smart, has a great picture and is good value , also must be silver to fit with rest of room/gear. Can I have your verdict on what you would plump for to run:

XBox
    Sky +
    Pioneer DSC505

Would you choose
    Panasonic TH-42PW7B
    http://digitaldirectuk.com/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=6352

OR
    Hitachi 42PD5300
    http://digitaldirectuk.com/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=4447

Was also considering the following Home Cinema System as i fancied something new with wirless rear speakers - thoughts on this?>>>
    http://digitaldirectuk.com/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=6969

thanks for looking and hope to hear your opinions - and dont be afraid to critiise - im not an expert so any input welcome!!

Regs

Sy :clap:

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I have the panny. Deep rich blacks, rich colours and silky smooth images. Not one flaw in the picture.

3. matt bellamy

matt bellamy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Panny PW7 with component and s-video boards. I have conected my XBox and DVD player to component board and the picture quality is AMAZING. Halo 2 on XBox is better than I have ever seen on a CRT and screen burn is never a problem which I was initially worried about. I haven't seen the Hitatchi but I cant see how it could possibly be better than the Panasonic.

4. Symey

Symey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the input guy, anybody else?

5. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As you probably know by now Sy I also have a PW7 (37" but still a PW7!) and I use Sky+/Xbox/DVD like you, plus a similar Pio system. Can't fault it at all, and that's with bog standard single SCART connection & DVD daisy chained through Sky - don't even have expensive leads.

Saving up for JS box, and Component board still not arrived! (Don't EVER use www.parcel2go.com!!!). I'll probably just wet myself the first time I switch on when that lot's all installed... :rotfl:

6. Duffers0

Duffers0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont rule out the Nec VR5, looks great IMO equal performance to the Panny and maybe future Sky hidef compatible.

7. Symey

Symey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm, pricey is it though?

8. 406lx

406lx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Under £1600, comparable with the PW6/7.

Will be very interested in a review against the panny

9. madasahat

madasahat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    go for thr hitachi it blows pannys out of the water on pq looks and vfm :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

10. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, as someone who auditioned both I would have to politely disagree with you!
    The only advice one can possibly give is for the individual to look at all the screens available and make your own choice. Would you really want to trust the (unvalidated) judgement of people on a Forum without seeing them yourself?

Simon

11. Symey

Symey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks swarrens - i have seen both but still cant make up my mind!

im not a massive audiophile and dopnt really want to go down amps, sepaerates just yet - can/would anybody recommend something all in one - ie dvd/cd player with tuners etc and speakers? Have checked out Pioneer (i already have a DCS505 but i think its too 'square' to go with a new setup - want something of similar performance but a little sexier!!

regs

sy

12. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do you run both the XBox and DVD player through the component board?

Do you use some kind of converter?

13. FEBABE

FEBABE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just got the Sony DAV-SR4W, wireless rear speakers and looks as sexy as hell!

14. 406lx

406lx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    He may have an amp that has component inputs and an output or you can get a dedicated component switch box, AVsales have them

15. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the reply.

A switch box eh?

But would that not detract from the PQ of the DVD player, and would it make Prog Scan impossible?

16. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    You may want to look at the resolutions of each unit, the Panny is not Hi-Def compatible from what I have read even thou the 7 series has a DVI board available, it has to scale the image down, I am sure someone else will confirm, the Panny HD7 series is Hi-Def compat but more money, then again hi-def may not be of interest to you.

Taz

17. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Taz, Hi-Def compatible means it accepts HD resolutions - regardless of what the panel resolution is / scaling it has to do.

The PW7 is HD compatible, to an extent. That extent being defined not by panel resolution, but by the fact that the DVI and HDMI boards do not accept 50hz HD sources - a distinct problem for the European market when 50hz is the norm, and where prominent broadcast and disc based services are not expected to have analogue outputs.

The PHD7 is high resolution, and HD compatible - but only to the extent that the PW7 is, again posing a problem for the European market.

It is wrong to say that standard resolution panels can not be HD compatible, and it is wrong to say that they will not give improved performance with a HD source. If nothing else, thanks to compression what we actually receive from cable/satellite/DVD is of a lower fidelity than standard resolution allows for - with higher bit rates and better compression schemes being used, HD can (with good downscaling) easily outperform SD material, even on a standard resolution panel.

18. matt bellamy

matt bellamy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Yamaha AMP with two component inputs. I connect the XBOX and DVD to the AMP with component cables and then the AMP to plasma with component cables so the AMP acts like a switcher box.

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    not if connections and cables are good enough.... and Prog scan can be switched the switch box is this one http://www.av-sales.com/html/avt-5842.html