1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

42" plasma £1299

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by bladebeeter, Nov 1, 2004.

1. bladebeeter

bladebeeter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. rvd48

rvd48

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tiny make ****e computers so the same can be said about there plasma's

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  4. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Would Tiny actually make this screen or just rebadge it? I don't think you can compare it to their computers.

But if you have a limited budget, or you are not that finicky and just want a large flat panel to watch TV in the lounge, then this is worth it.
    If you are a super critical AV buff who wants to set up a home cinima, then perhaps not.

If £1300 is going to let you get a large flat panel, then why not?
    Does this one have a tuner though or is that extra?

5. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    If you gonna buy rubbish cos it's cheap
    get the 42" Goodmans plasma from Argos at £1199
    It's still rubbish, but it's £100 cheaper rubbish!

6. bladebeeter

bladebeeter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The £1299 version has a tuner and the panel is by samsung ,

slightly off subject if i where to go for the panasonic what board would i need to connect sky+ and a dvd recorder?

7. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    if your dvd recorder is a panny E55 or better
    no board at all, buy rgbhv to VGA cable for £6 from ebay, connect component output
    from dvd recorder to VGA input of Panny, plug sky into dvd recorder.
    (panny without board £1499 from richersounds)

8. bladebeeter

bladebeeter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, Will this automaticly adjust the wide switching ect

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    REBADGE.....WEll if thats how you feel save £300 and buy the £999 one from Argos......Drive a montego diesel? Why not buy everything at the Pound shop??? The will plasma soon enough........................... or just keep your old Telly and sit closer???
    Why buy DVDs? VHS is cheaper if your not finicky film is just the same...................

10. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The point is that for many people, a flat panel is desirable but just too expensive at the moment. For many of those people, the quality of the screen is a secondary or even perhaps not too important consideration - they want a plasma.

Its very easy for those in the know to belittle the less glamourous makes, or those with inferior image.

However, the Tiny or Argos plasma sat in the average lounge is perfectly adequate. And in that context they are well worth the money.

I'm not saying the OP fits into this criteria - in fact he may just want the screen for the company reception area.

Its very easy to get sucked into the 'must have a sony or panny' line of thinking.

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    So is a mirror and does the same job of looking nice over the fireplace.............If anyone was to go and buy an Argos special they wouldn't bother posting here......they can ignore all the advice we offer but one thing i can telll you is it is unbiased and Panasinic certainly dont thank me for reconmending their products.......................... If a PW6/7 was £2500 like it should be then there is a definate market for these units but would you rather think I wasted £1300 on that pile of crap or It was £2k but it looks Chuffing fantastic and sounds greeat?????????????????????

12. Rindless

Rindless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've got to say that it's all too easy to say "pay more and get the best" but for the average family or shopper paying £1299 for a 42" plasma with detachable speakers, a desk-top stand and tv tuner built in and an I/O board for numerous connections including VGA and Component inputs, Tiny are doing a damn good deal.
    You also get a free internet box and keyboard too.

A mate of mine even got the Tiny outlet in his town to throw in a 16x dual layer retail multi format dvd re-writer just for buying from the shop.

Now consider buying a Panasonic for £1600 and then you have to buy all kinds of extras to make the "most" from the panel.

If everone had a budget of 2K for a tv we'd all get a Panasonic, but for the average family the Tiny deal is very good.

For me personally, spending £1300 on a TV that's going to get 8 hours of "rough" use every day, is a good deal even if I end up throwing it away after a year or two.
    When you think about it it's only £100ish a month and i spend more that that in one night taking the girlfriend out.

Lastly with so many people spending 3/4 hundred pounds on 17" or 19" monitors for their pc, can now use the 42" Tiny (LG/Samsung re-badge) for a bargain price, and the output via VGA is excellent.

13. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Does anyone actually have one of these and can comment on what it is really like. I notice on their site they have the 1000/1 contrast ratio one and for £50 more you get a 3000/1 contrast ratio. was thinking of buying one of these for the father in law what to know what it is really like

Cheers

14. sonny

sonny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Yes, I have one and despite all the 'get refund and buy panny' advice I really do not think the picture is as bad as has been made out. I have played a lot of R1 and R2 dvd's and find it totally acceptable. So there!!!!