1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

42" pioneer or panny for TV and PC

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by gslater, Mar 18, 2005.

1. gslater

gslater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

I am looking to buy a 42" plasma for use as a TV and to connect to a media centre PC. Clearly the pioneer and panny are the brands to go for. So my dilemma now is which model to go for. Here is my assesment so far...

Pioneer - I really like the new HDMI versions in particular the PDP435XDE (although I'm still not clear on the exact differences between the XDE and HDE versions). Seems that this is the first one to have the HDMI which gives me an element of future-proofing. What I also like is the fact that the resolution is 1024x768 which gives true XGA for the PC input. From reviews that I have read however it seems that this plasma is great when receiving the digital signal from DVD player but not as good as the panny when simply asked to act as a TV receiving regular sky/cable.

Panny - clearly (ok...at least from my limited reading so far!) the one to go for right now is the TH-42PW7. This gets all the rave reviews about picture quality (balcker than black etc) and as long as you buy the necessary connections it has all the necessary "gubbins" to work with my existing equipment (sky, yamaha amp, dvd player, pc etc). But, I am concerned about the resolution being only 852x480. In partcular will this affect my ability to be able to use it as a pc monitor? When I look on the av sales website (seems to be the place to go from reading these forums), I also see another panny model (TH-42PHD7) which says it is "Panasonic's newest 42" high definition plasma display panel". It says it has a resolution of 1024x768 which would seem to be on a par with the pioneers, but I dont see any mention of it in any of the forum postings.

Finally (promise this is the last paragraph!), I see panny are coming out with their "true" HDMI model around May time (TH-42PV500?).....should I reaqlly just be waiting for this baby?

Thanks in advance for your help

Gavin

2. wannabeav

wannabeav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gavin, This seems to be a dilema for a number of people out there, me included. there are quite a few threads on all these units so worth doing a search. The pioneer has 2 options XDE and FDE. Displays are the same only difference is the media box and remote and the functions they offer eg XDE has DVB tuner built in, VGA port which by the sounds you'll need and some 'niceties' like PIP and DUal screen. XDE also has a much nicer remote. The pioneer web site allows a comparison and worth a look.

Panny PW7 not HDTV ready, the HD7 version has a higher res but cant display 720p at 50Hz which is neeed for compliance. Again a number of threads on this.

The Pioneer is very plug and play, the others seem to allow more tweaking options but depends on what you want. I've seen all three at av-sales and personally prefer the XDE as it seemed a little more natural on DVD (Just my opinion and seems to be the minority opinion). The Panny screens were very good (and the blacks are blacker etc, etc) but for me not as good overall. I don't have sky and have no intention to get it. For me this screen needs to look good on the lounge wall and play DVD's very well. My wife will watch TV but wouldn't see the difference between a 14" CRT or a finely tuned display! :D

I will be waiting to look at the new Viera 500 as this could offer the best of both worlds.

Only advice (coming from a non-expert!) would be to read as many threads as possible but get a demo of the screens that you shortlist. Others have said it - but only you can choose the screen that looks the best for you.

JP

3. dave0523

dave0523
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Pioneer :smashin: You won't regret it!

4. geewhizz

geewhizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    I have the panny th42pw7 and i play alot of online games from my laptop and i connect it to my panny via the vga port and to be honest it is better than i thought it would be, its fantastic for gaming. and really good for looking at webpages. And it a rubbish graphics card ( geforce4 440 go 64mb ).

I have ntl cable and majority on hear say that a rubbish picture on there plasma ( i seem to be lucky ) cos mines is very good quality ( although i renewed the cables and that made a difference. So sky+ will be brilliant on it.

regards

Mark

5. gslater

gslater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the comments. I have also been doing some more searches on the forums and I still get the feeling it is worth going for the extra resolution in preparation for Sky HD when it arrives....although there is quite a price difference between the two (but I guess thats life!)

Anybody got any comments on the panny TH42HD7 that I see on av sales site ( http://www.av-sales.co.uk/plasma/html/panasonic_th-42phd7_plasma.html) as this seems to have the better reolution.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    If you can afford it the TH-42PHD7 is a wonderful bit of kit, a truely excellent plasma!!!!

7. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Do note that some people have had issues with the PHD7 due to the black bars on top and bottom in widescreen movies changing brightness depending on screen content. The Viera 500 (HD) is out soon, at about the same price as the PHD7, so I would expect that to be a contender (and I suspect that PHD7 prices will come down significantly when it comes out, too).

8. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mate

given your requirements please please wait for either the new panny HDMI high Resolution models when they come out later this year. Read thru the threads - its just not true that you can get the Panny HD7 to do HDCP in plug and play mode - nor has it either a DVDi or all digital HDMI input - component it does do... but what the hell would you want analogue HDMI when yu can get digital ??????

I am in exactly the same dillemma as you but, except i want great Sky pics now too! So Im either buying the 50" Pinoeer 505XDE now - or should i wait for the new Panny HD HDMI HDCP compliant models!!! anyone else????

By the way hi everyone as im jsut new today and loved reading such gret deantes for the last few days!! Much respecto to you lot.

Dil

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    There is no such thing as Analogue HDMI it is digital only and the HD7 (infact all 7 series) have 2 HDCP input boards, the panasonic panels have no issues with HDCP content when using the DVI board or the HDMI board.

they wont accept 720p or 1080i @ 50Hz but thats not an issue if you have ascaler cabale of FRC or are wanting for PC use instead of HDTV.......

10. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oops HD I stand corrected!! Respect due to you. Of course HDMI is not analogue - i meant I thought the HDMI connection on Panny was only via component??? Which is not the same ......is it???

"they wont accept 720p or 1080i @ 50Hz but thats not an issue if you have ascaler cabale of FRC or are wanting for PC use instead of HDTV......."

ermm. what is the point of hte Panny if it cant do this then ?? what on earth is FRC?? Why on earth would one wish to get a further scaler jsut to make the bleedin Panny (i have a pw5 btw so i do love panny's) work at 50hz thingy?? Why go to all this extra bother when it should simply do it to begin with? I shoudl wait for next generation Panny right? Or no??

help apprecaited as im about to commit lots of new dosh on a screen i would like watching! and im not rich!!!

Thanks

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    HDMI and High definition are not the same, HDMI is a connection standard, Hidefinition is a video stadard ( very badly explained at the moment but greater than 625(576) res), HDCP is copy proction standard/system.
    THERE is no such thing as HDMI over component and panny are fine with HDTV @ 60Hz so work fine with HDTV in Sates/Japan, on digital, DVi-D and HDMI.
    AND will work with HDTV resolution @ 50Hz over RGBHV and Component IIRC

12. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks HD - i edited my post so mind having another look at my q's mate??

i meant HD over component - oops maybe i should give up now!..lol

Im bleedin more confused thawn ever! I simply need a HDCP compliant HDMI input screen thaty is HD future proff and will allow Sky HD. Does not another thread state theat only the Pioneer model has this ability?? my point about the 1080i or 570p stands....

ta

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK the point of the panny is it has the best PQ (IMO and quite a few others at 42" size.)
    A scaler does alot more than make it work with 720p and 1080i @50Hz (try a search for sclaers)

FRC is Frame rate conversion, this converts 50Hz that the panny cant accept on HDCP digital to 60Hz which it can.

(this is what the pioneer media box does for the 435XDE)

some people dont want to wait for the 8 series...(there is always some thing better and cheaper coming!!!!)

As a five series owner you have a few more options.......open to you than people who have CRT TV's...What i would suggest you do is buy a scaler for use with the PW5 get it calibrated, and enjoy an improved picture now and wait for the 8 series to come out, (no point upgrading to an HD screen tomorrow as there is no real HD programming to watch yet!!!!!)

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  15. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HD

That is fantastic advice - thank you so much! I guess i wanna be as future ready for the future so a bit confused/talkative about HD, HD compatibility, ... and such!!

I will give this a go ..any particlaur scaler you would recommend mate??

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the main 4 makes are DVDO, Lumagen, PMS Crystalio and Cinemateq for £1000 ish you can have a choice of 3:
    DVDO Iscan HD+ £900
    Lumagen DVi £815
    Cinemateq Picture Optimiser Plus II £950
    I have seen the DVDO and Lumagen in action not the Cinemateq............ both are very good and offer different ranges of features Lumagen DVi has more digital inputs, DVDO has Digital audio delay to help with lip-sync issues.......... you need to demo and sort out your current kit, (dont just jump in and by a scaler!) also connectivity and calibration are going to need some thought!

17. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    great -thaks again mate! Youre a star...

18. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hang on, HD. It's important to stress that a scaler cannot convert from 60 to 50Hz without issues, such as judder. Some people don't think it's a big deal - but for others (me included) it's a deal-breaker. The fact that 50Hz HD-compliant screens are coming onto the market (Pioneer and Fujitsu now, Panny Viera in a month or so) means you shouldn't rush in to spending well over 2 grand (plus another £900 or so for a scaler) without thinking about it. Another wrinkle is that HD screens may not look as good as SD (Standard Definition - like the PW7) screens for stuff like SKY at the moment... (but a good scaler will help, there).

Now you know why there's a big forum dedicated to this stuff - ain't no such thing as an easy answer...

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    until the 8 series panels come out (PV500) there is at the moment not panel capable of judder free 50Hz HDCP HD input (Pioneers XDE judder) Judder is a bigger issue for some, but from the testing i have done the PHD7 and DVDO Iscan HD+ are the best combination at 42" size for HD compatibility and analogue PQ........ and the PHD7 copes better with SD sources.........with HD TV it is truly gorgeous!

20. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sulis and HD again...

It pisses me off that lookin on the US site the US Pannys are already properly 50hz HDMI/HDCP etc..compatible ..so why did Panny not do this with its existing range!!! arghhh...silly business to me.

When is the new Panny 8 series is out - this year??? im ahning on mates!

cheers gang

Dil

21. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    US models aren't 50Hz HDMI as far as i know (US runs 69Hz so they dont need 50Hz support)... PV5000 HD Veira is out in May and PW8 will be september ish

22. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oops just noticed dat you said "a month or so"...!!!! That quick!!! Excellent indeed

23. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will be interesting to see how the 2 new models differ in terms of pq...i hope i can be patient till september or i may be too much in a rush. :clap: :clap: .

cheers

24. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    have the PW5 ISF'd it may well transform it!

25. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HD

Your adivce on my quite old pw5 is not redundant simply cos i have a bruvver who wants it so i will get it ISFed frist for him then sell on to him - hes saying 800 pounds!!!

ermm...oops who can i get to ISF it please???

regards

26. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well Piers clerk of www.homecinemaengineering.com is a top man, Gordon of convergant also offers ISF get it calibrated ASAP and enjoy it till the Big decision on a new one!

27. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okey dokey HD..will get in touch with both ...tahks for all your lvoely help!!! I feel so mcuh more confident and to think I was on the verge of getting the Pioneer 505XDE altho i was not impressed with the TV pics at a dealers...!!!

regards

28. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    if you can afford a 50" look at the Fujitsu 40 series 50" PAnny glass Fujitsu electronics a TOP combination! but you do pay for it (full 50Hz support and Excellent PQ available end of month, A forum memeber has the first one coming into UK!)

29. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok will do..wont hurt looking at other screens - funny but my first ever plasma was a second generation 42" Fujitsu but it was pretty crap and had dodgy black lines running down the vertical!!! and lots of artefacting and pic looked pretty washed out on TV etc..- but that was in 2000!

30. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    There is a "shoot out" between the 4 leading contenders in this month's Home Cinema Choice. Rather unfairly they didn't actually compare products from each of these manufacturers at the same price point within their ranges. The most expensive Lumagen was put up against the DVDO HD+, ignoring the fact that Lumagen have two other models, one cheaper then the DVDO and one slightly more expensive. The cinamateq was the very cheapest of their range and everything was up against the Crystalio which, like the top of the range Lumagen, is big money.