1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

42"PHD8 or 43"XDE?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by NWhiteley, Sep 6, 2005.

1. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    As theses 2 plasmas have been or are about to be released, and my buying choices have been narrowed down to them, which is the better choice?

My requirements are...

1. be HD ready
    2. be compatible with $ky HD when it starts
    3. display blueray/HDDVD discs
    4. and most importantly, allow full use of PS3

i only use region 2 DVDs, and don't really plan on getting anything other than region 2 DVDs

current set up....

toshiba sd230 DVD, (to be upgraded)
    denon 2106 receiver
    ntl set top cable box (samsung type)
    HCPC

I have a budget of 2.5k, which i believe is enough for either screen (at av-sales). i would like to add a scaler at a later date, when funds allow, so given the above info, which screen will give me the best results, based upon... pq, potential connectivity, compatibility with upcoming services and value for money?

2. Bramble1970

Bramble1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would be interested in this as well

only just joined the forum, but i have read the forums with interest over the last few weeks and have now decided to get a plasma, ideally, one of the two mentioned in this thread

regards, Chris

3. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    NO one with any views?
    or is the question premature, due to the screens ages?

4. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    I vaguely remember reading on here that htpc's are not great with xde pioneers.
    Im sure that someone with more knowledge in the matter will be along shortly to give you better advise.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Bit impatient, you are! How quick do you expect an answer. Indeed the HCPC would be the decider for me, it'll be way better with the Panasonic.

6. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    now that you mention it... i also think i read something along those lines

round 1 to the PHD8 :smashin:

7. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    sorry MAW... the money is burning a hole in my last pocket :rotfl:

2 nil to the PHD8 :clap:

8. stereo

stereo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW, Could you clarify what makes Panny better than Pioneer when HTPC is concerned, please? My main use for the screen is PC and thus this is quite critical information.

I know 6th gen Pios don't support native on 50Hz (digital or analog) but do Pannys either?

Thanks,

Sammie

9. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    and do either screen meet my criteria?

10. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The PHD8 would appear to be more flexible in terms of adding/subtracting terminal boards. You only need to buy what you need e.g. component and/or HDMI board, for example.

Speakers and stand are additional items in both cases.

The PHD8 has an integral VGA port, useful for PC connectivity. Alternatively, buy a JS Tech RGB (SCART) to VGA converter for your set-top box to use this port.

A scaler is a popular option for a Panasonic panel, but I'm no expert on these devices. :confused: A scaler would certainly reduce the terminal board count!

11. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    has anyone got the release date for the PHD8?

12. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Sorry, Form over Function. Sleek, sexy looking black panel or cheap tacky looking panel with retro technics logo. ;)

13. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    :confused:

.... having never seen either panel, please explain :lease:

14. Angry the Clown

Angry the Clown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I've been faced with this decision myself. They're both a lot of money, though it is money I am happy to invest, but to do so it really has to be on a display I'm going to have the greatest degree of control over.

As such, it's looking to be the HD8 that suits my desires. I'll get a good demo of the Pioneer regardless, but it's that inability to circumnavigate the media box that I find to be a put off as attractive a set as the 436 looks. Not that a scaler into it's HDMI port won't yield improvements, but again, if I am going to spend a further £1400 on a Lumagen HDP then I'd much rather have a panel that can get as much as possible out of such an additional device too.

Would anyone steer me in the right direction regarding whether I should be looking to connect the scaler to the display via component or DVI/HDMI? I ask because it's been noted the Panasonic's don't like 1:1 mapping at 50hz via a digital connection and I'd rather do without frame rate conversion.

15. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Don't worry, just me stirring things up a wee bit.:)

Personally I think the Pioneer's are the best looking plasma available (as in styled, not PQ) but the Panny panels look pretty sexy hung on the wall as well. It is just that I feel the Panny bezel looks a bit cheaper and the Panasonic logo reminds me of the old Technics logo.

When I bought my Fuji 50 I kept hassling poor Joe until I was happy the logo wasn't the ES version (a flattened, tacky, plastic oval) so I can be a bit fussy.

On the face of it does like the Panny panel would be the best bet for you but until we have more info on how they both perform and until you see them with your own eyes (Plasma PQ is incredibly subjective and personal) I would hold fire.
    Also, I know you said you wanted to add a scaler at a later date but depending on how much later you may be better buying a new panel by then. ;)

R.

16. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    thats very true, and i now understand what you were getting at... as for the scaler , i hope to get one within 6 months of getting the panel, so not too long to wait :smashin:

17. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Angry,

I am currently awaiting my new PHD8 and have already got a Lumagen HDP to connect to it. Whether 1:1 mapping via DVI is possible remains to be seen - from the specs it looks unlikely.

You can throw most analogue inputs into the PHD7 without any problem, and it is likely that the PHD8 will be the same, but HDCP has to be considered. The upcoming Sky HD box will apparently have component outputs, so HDCP isn't an issue in the short term, but longer term who knows?

The 436 range is interesting to me as an ISF calibrator. At last one of the major players has woken up to ISF. Included out of the box are two menus - ISF day and ISF night- out of the box, except that you have to get an ISF technician to activate them! To access these modes (an addition to user, dynamic, cinema, normal etc.) the calibrator needs special software to get into the menus. I've got it and am yearning to use it!

18. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    piers, would you say the 436 is more isf friendly than the phd8 then?, and therefore produce better results?

19. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    I haven't seen either yet so cannot comment. The 436 appears to be more ISF friendly than the PHD8 (from the spec sheets) but I am getting a PHD8 - read from that what you like.

20. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Piers, which DVI board are you looking at? Is it the generation 6 DVI board or is there a newer generation 8 DVI board? I see there is a generation 8 HDMI board, but I guess due it has restricted resolution support as I'm presuming it's aimed at being used from SKY or DVD @ 720p/1080i rather than a DVI that is also likely to be driven from a PC and so may offer a more flexible solution?

21. Angry the Clown

Angry the Clown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Thank you, Piers.

Can the Lumagen be set to output different resolutions per refresh rate? I don't watch masses of 50hz material I must admit. Not fond of the speedup on films and slowdown on computer games and Sky HD isn't of much appeal to me. The only region2 DVD material I own is a selection of British television shows. If I used DVI into the plasma could the Lumagen be set to do 1:1 on 60hz material, and maybe send something like 1280x720 for 50hz? I might be interested in feeding it 48hz for film viewing, which I'd also imagine may be restricted to analogue input only.

Yes the ISF features of the new Pioneer's are certainly very interesting. What seems somewhat silly however is the trouble they've gone to in making it so ISF friendly, yet not offering a way to disable internal processing of the media box or accepting the panel's native resolution via any input. I say this only having gone through the manual for the 436/506 is which available on Pioneer's website - whether in practice all the above can be achieved I don't know (it would be wonderful if the option to disable internal processing was available only via the ISF menus). If it could it might certainly put the 436 back in the running as an option for me.

22. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    sj,

It's the HDMI board that I am getting as I don't need computer resolutions but very definitely do need 720p@50Hz and 1080i@50Hz.

Angry,

The Lumagen can indeed be set to output different resolutions per refresh rate. Until I get hold of a PHD8 I don't want to speculate on whether 1:1 will work.

The ISF modes on the new Pioneer are merely two more "picture modes". Even with the appropriate software I don't get access to any additional menus for picture settings (so this is not the answer to disabling features of the media box) - but I am able to activate those two new memories and store calibrated settings into them.

23. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    What if the screens best resolution is not neccesarily 720 or 1080 ie SVGA etc?