1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

42" or 50" Panny

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Jazz Monkey Jr, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    I am beginning to learn about plasmas and would probably favour the PW7 for the price. Would it be better to wait a bit longer and get the 50". I notice the resolution is better, would this be more future proof (not thinking about sky, more HD DVD, PC input etc)
    I would probably be sitting about 10 feet away, mainly DVB, analogue and xbox, would also like to connect the PC via DVI cable.
    Is it worth the extra outlay, I have seen the TH-50PWD7BS as I would prefer a silver one, is this the best option for the money?
    I have a 32" Panasonic tau 100hz at the moment, would I be suitably more impressed with the Panny picture, and what exactly would a calibration do for it after it is run in?

Thanks.

2. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    Anyone?

3. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    50".

42" is way too small, you will regret it afterwards that you didn't buy the 50", i am glad i didn't do that mistake.

4. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I agree the higher res is nice but I would have thought 50" would be a bit big from only 10ft with regular tv viewing.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    10ft is fine for a 50" if you like it big. Quite possibly you will like to consider a scaler too with a 50, particularly as the viewing distance is so short. You will certainly see any flaws in the picture from there.

6. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    42" is not way too small! but if you can do 50"...do it.....all us 42" owners don't feel we made a mistake though!

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    42PHD7 and scaler costs the same as a 50PHW7 so if you have £3.5k to spend you have choice an extra £1k get the 50" £3k max get the 42" all comes back to money at the end of the day.

8. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    So I would really need a scaler for a 50"? Are they about £1000?
    What's the difference between TH-50PHW7B and TH-50PHD7?

And what exactly would the scaler do?

Finally, how future-proof will it be?

9. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Scalers do lots of clever things! For starters, matching the input source resolution to the plasma's resolution so avoiding scaling by the plasma (the scaler will almost certainly do it better than the plasma). They also clen up the picture which is why folk are advising one if you go for a standard def plasma and view a relatively big screen from a close distance - any artefacts will be very obvious from 10 foot, a scaler will reduce the artefacts. The good scalers also allow a lot of picture tweaking which we calibrators love! Just over £800 will get you a decent scaler. The extra pixel count of the HD versus the SD Panny plus other electronic trickery makes the PQ from the hi-def panels much better.

10. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Buy the 50PHW7 first and then add a scaler when budget allows.

I was in your position when i bought my plasma and couldn't decide which to go for, i was torned between the 50" with no external scaler or the 42" with scaler.

I ended up buying the 50" with no scaler and i don't see any reason today to buy a scaler, the picture is top-notch.

As i already said earlier, 42" is way too small for you, i could never accept having a 42" in my situation and i sit about 2,5 meter from the screen.

The difference in size between the 42 and 50 is quite large, remember that you get a much more capable screen if you go with the 50".

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Naff all between the models, don't worry. A scaler, yes you have the right cost magnitude, it takes a 720 x 576 image, and accurately scales it to 1366 x 768 for display on the plasma, at it's simplest view. It does all sorts of other picture enhancing things too, but the idea is to 'export' the on board processing of the plasma to a device that is better at this job

12. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    Thanks for that, I think I will wait a bit longer and get the 50". Have to save up again as I am moving house, could have had 3 50" panels for the cost of moving!!!! Bloody stamp duty... :mad:

13. Aladin

Aladin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Opinions are like arseholes.....everyones got one!
    Ratings:
    +0
    One must agree!
    50" with an Iscan works very well!!

14. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    Thanks again, I will just sum up so I am clear...

50" would be fine from 10ft away, but a scaler would help to scale up the low res images...
    Would a calibration be advised after running in?
    Would it be pretty future proof?
    It would take a PC input no problem...

And finally, my mates would be impressed with the PQ compared to their 32" WEGA sets...

15. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Yes, but plasmas show artefacts that CRTs don't and vice versa - the size of the screen blows most people away but the guy who believes his Wega is the best thing ever may try to say the plasma isn't as good - he will be right in some respects but wrong in lots of others. :D :D

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If they all get too bitchy about your picture, try a geometry check. That almost always shuts them up. I even persuaded my inlaws they needed a new TV with that one. It was truly horriffic, a decidedly non regular quadrilateral.

17. darrens

darrens
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So is the 50" Panny HD ready?

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    In combination with a scaler yes. On it's own no.

19. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello all

Darrens

The TH-50PHD7 (Silver or Black) has more than enough pixels to show a 1280x720 HD signal - the Problem it has is that its DVI or HDMI Digital Input Boards are only capable of accepting 1280x720 signals at 60Hz.

If you have an HD source that's outputting at 50Hz you need another box to Frame Rate Convert the 50Hz signal to 60Hz - this can be done pretty successfully in certain external Video Processors - budget for an extra spend of approx 1.2K.

The next generation (Series 8) of Panasonic Displays will support 1280x720P signals at 50Hz though I'd still advocate you budget for a decent External Video Processor as they are much better than the Inbuilt processor at resizing and processing Standard Definition signals and make life so much easier when you can switch all of you video sources through one box.

mal600908

You can connect your PC via the Analogue HD15(VGA) socket or Digital DVI socket and achieve 1:1 Pixel mapping if you set your PC to output 1366x768 at 60Hz and once you tweak the Display to ensure its not resizing the incoming signal you'll get very sharp PC images.

Depending on how your PC is configured (Analogue or Digital) you can either plug it directly to the Display (allowing Picture in Picture modes with other sources) or switched via an External Processor (in pass through mode) if you want simplified switching.

The advantage of a decent external Video Processor are many - even simple things like being able to adjust the amount of ''over scan' to best suit each source is a big plus point - some Displays actually 'hide' as much as 10% of the image broadcast by SKY or other Digibox decoders.

If you do decide to combine a 50" HD Display with an external Video Processor its best to budget for/negotiate for you Dealer to Install, Configure and Calibrate the complete system; otherwise you'll tear your hair out trying to get it all working and will most likely never see the system optimised anyway.

Best regards

Joe

PS Be wary of letting your mates see the system - they may visit an awful lot more often than is usual; and it gets mighty costly keeping them in Carry Outs, Booze, Pay per View Sport and NEW movies!!!

20. darrens

darrens
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe, thanks for the detailed reply. Any suggestions on what would be a good external video processor - I would have absolutely no idea. Also would you recommend the same one for a p7 and (when it comes out) the p8?

21. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello darrens

There are a few Video Processor manufactures who now have UK Distribution and Resellers - not all as well supported as others mind.

We tend to supply Lumagen and DVDO and others on the AVForums supply Cinemateq and Crystalio- each box has its strengths and weaknesses and you need to also factor in the level of Dealer support you require and what's on offer with any one product.

Combining a Lumagen VisionHDP with a PHD7 certainly works very well.

There will be very little if any real difference when choosing a Video Processor to partner a Series 8 Panasonic Display over a Series 7 Panasonic Display - the one difference being you wont have to rely on the Video Processor to undertake Frame Rate Conversion with the Series 8 Display.

We don't have the full SP as yet on what a Series 8 Display will have that's different to a Series 7 but don't expect anything 'Revolutionary'.

Best regards

Joe