1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

42 or 50 incher!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Dom Rice, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Im after advice as to what would be the better option. A 42 inch Panasonic th42-pw4 or the less acclaimed Pinoeer 50 pdp-503hde plasma.

The room it will be going into is large enough to accomodate either model. Ignoring the cost difference what would other people go for?

:confused:

2. ChuckWagon

ChuckWagon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is not bigger better my friend?

Chuck

3. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I sppose, but what about the picture quality difference?

4. ChuckWagon

ChuckWagon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not seen them side by side myself.

Have you had a look?

At the end of the day - you should get the one that looks best to you.

As far as I am aware - they are both pretty good.

5. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unilet in New Malden have both, to my eyes the Panasonic has the best picture, the Pioneer seems washed out in comparison.

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Personnally I would choose the Pioneer. Mainly because it has a higher res display, depends on what you like I suppose. I would use it with a PC more than watch TV.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They have the 50" Pioneer stood next to the Pana 42" in Empire directs showroom in Bradford, and I would,nt say no to either of them

Jaw Dropping, for both springs to mind

Empire have a pretty good line up of Plasma,s including the Loewe, which to my eyes is not in the same league as the Pioneer or the Pana, if it was my choice to have the 50" or 42"

and Me being a greedy sort of bloke, I,d say go for 50"

8. The Huss

The Huss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With respect to Gary and as an extremley happy owner of the Pioneer 50" I wouldn't necessarily compare on the basis of shop set ups.

The Pioneer has a myriad of diferent display options ...standard, user, movies, games etc each with their own configurable settings (low contrast, high bright, sharpeness, colour , tint ,levels of black etc..The games mode is particualry glum as both contrast and brightness are kept low to reduce artifact.

Having had my screen for a couple of months and having established new options settings courtesy of the THX disc I cannot fault it.

R1 Tarzan (my daughters you'll understand) watched via component NTSC prog scan has to be seen to be belived - which if you're thinking of spending 6K+ you have to have. Prog scan.. not Tarzan.

As for the size.....has to be 50". You'll kick yourself two months down the line if you go 42", regardless of manufacturer.

regards

regards

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As for the size.....has to be 50". You'll kick yourself two months down the line if you go 42", regardless of manufacturer.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

its a matter of finances, I would Love a 50" model, but at £3000 more than the 42" ouch!!!!!!!!!

I think the huge price difference is the main reason most buyers get the 42", me included

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Dom

The Panasonic 42" Plasma Display gets lots of plaudits on this and other forums as it offers a great video picture for what seems to be a price that many enthusiast are now willing to pay for a plasma panel
    - around £3.5K.

What you do have to bear in mind with any of the Plasma Displays is that you will probably end up spending another £200 - £300 on bits and pieces to get your system hooked up and inputting any array of video sources and that also assumes that you have a fairly well specified AV Receiver amp with video switching in the mix too. (And add in another £200 for a wall bracket or £150 for a pedestal stand)

Pioneer also do a range of Plasma Displays - the PDP-433MXE and PDP-503 MXE; like the Panasonics these units don't have too many frills and have all the 'wrong' connectors on when hooking into Consumer HiFi and the like; not a big issue but takes a little time to plan, order and hook up your system - especially for the uninitiated.

Pioneers other range the PDP-433HDE and PDP-503HDE Plasma TV's both forgo a little bit of absolute picture quality in an attempt to give you something more akin to a large full function TV. We have lots of customers using both the Plasma Display and the Plasma TV options and its a matter of adding up the pros and cons of both systems in the context of how you use the system - as 'The Huss' points out you can play around until the cows come home with the many parameters on the HDE models and throw in Picture in Picture, a TV tuner, Teletext, Fixed or variable audio out etc and you have a very good system that meets the needs of many prospective plasma owners.

If you were planning on spending £600+ on a top flight DVD and other high quality source kit then I would tend to look at the Panasonic or Pioneer Plasma Display ranges and if not going to that level of expenditure on the source kit then the Pioneer HDE models are both very good and more user, and family, friendly than the out and out Plasma Display's favoured by many on the forum.

If you have the budget (c£6.6K for a 50" Plasma Display or c£7.7K for a 50" Plasma TV) and the space - then go for the bigger screen, not had a single customer coming back saying can I trade down!!!

Happy shopping

Joe

11. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys,

More than enough food for thought here.

Joe you mentioned that some plasma come with all the wrong connectors. Can you explain this point further.

It will need to be connected to sky and to a dvd player. Are these connections not catered for 'out of the box'?

Regards

dom.

12. Markster

Markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you considered Fujitsu?.

Haven't looked at Plasma myself so cant really comment too much, but i was in Sevenoaks on saturday where the 42" Panasonic and Fujitsu are both identically priced at 4k.

Given the choice the guys in there considered the Fujitsu the better of the two.

13. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dom

Just a thought, if size is important why not buy the 42" for day-to-day viewing and a projector for watching films on a big screen, total outlay depending on projector would still be less than the price of a 50" plasma and that way you get the best of both worlds.

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Dom

Just to say I will reply to your message later tonight - bit of a mad week.

Regards

Joe

15. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Dom

Finally got a bit of time to get back to you.

Plasma products generally fall into two camps - Plasma Display and PlasmaTV.

Many on the forum favour the Plasma Display products from Panasonic, NEC, Fujitsu and the like and all will have found that whilst the image quality is very good with these displays hooking them up to consumer Video and HiFi kit can be a bit of a fiddle.

These devices are built with the corporate install market in mind and have few inputs and few features and the inputs they do have are generally geared towards professional source kit - you will see references to BNC and DVI connectors not SCART, Phono or RF.

Also the signal levels and sync types produced by consumer kit is not always on a par with that produced by Pro kit and most of the panels get a bit unhappy unless we use some form of interface box.

We use the range of SCART (RGB and S-Video) converters by John Sim of JS Technology and these work very well when interfacing a SKY box or similar with a Plasma display.

Connectivity is not something to get overly worried about - budget to spend £150 - £200 on bits and pieces and then its a case of looking at your system in detail and seeing what is required.

The PlasmaTV units from Pioneer don't require any of these interface boxes as the external Media Box takes care of most types of connections you can throw at it.

Best regards

Joe

16. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Dom Rice

Having just spent a month looking at almost every plasma display on the market I finally compromised and chose the Pioneer 43".

Size is not everything! If you compare the Pioneer 50" it is not quite as sharp and bright as the Pioneer 43". If you compare the 43" Pioneer alongside a 42" XXX plasma the extra inch is very noticable.

Be aware that if you choose the bells and whistles of the Pioneer 433HDE you will loose some funcionality as well as gain some versus the 433MXE.

By way of example, I do not believe the 433HDE can display progressive PAL material, the MXE can.

The 433HDE does not incorporate fans to improve panel life and keep internal temperature controlled, the MXE has fans that are temperature controlled but I have to say they spend most of their time off.

There are lots of other points. I chose to have a 43" Pioneer Plasma and a drop down projector screen for the big movies!

Despite all the good press on the Panasonic from the forum generally, my take was that the so called enhanced contrast is something of an illussion. I looked at five different 42" Panasonic displays in different locations and concluded that they all lacked detail in dark scene compared to the Pioneer. Since I now own one you can say I'm byassed and that's alright:) Beauty is in the eye of the beholder comes to mind.

Good luck with the decision making

17. MattB

MattB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Congratulations on your new plasma. Where did you buy? Joe F has the best price I have found so far for the MXE.

I assume you have a progressive DVD player, is there much difference between the player's de-interlacer and the panel's for PAL and NTSC movies?

Would you say the blacks are any better on the MXE (10bit) vs the HDE?

I can't hold out much longer...

18. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Matt

IMHO Joe F is probably the best for price and certainly outshines most for knowledge. Go with Joe and sleep at night knowing that your supplier WILL help if you run into problems!

I have a Pioneer 747 but am waiting for it to be returned after region patching. I will probably use something like a Focus CS1 scaler rather than have the DVD modified to progressive. Remember also that the Plasma will convert your NTSC to progressive and since all my current DVD's are region 1 I already am able to run the panel in cinema mode. If the panel was a lot bigger it would leave the best of the best projectors standing;)

Both the HDE and MXE support 10 bit grey scale and so should look the same subject to the sharp box not screwing up the signal in any way.