42" LG PG2000 - 100Hz

margategal

Standard Member
I am at a real loss as what to do.
I have just bought the above TV with supposed 100Hz. My TV tells me that I nly have 50Hz coming through? How do I change this. I have seen HDMI cables for sale which is supposed to enhance my viewing but being such a newbie I really dont know what I am doing. I dont even undertsand fully what 100Hz is, can someone find some patience to explain to me?

Retro Techno

I am at a real loss as what to do.
I have just bought the above TV with supposed 100Hz. My TV tells me that I nly have 50Hz coming through? How do I change this. I have seen HDMI cables for sale which is supposed to enhance my viewing but being such a newbie I really dont know what I am doing. I dont even undertsand fully what 100Hz is, can someone find some patience to explain to me?

The TV can produce a 100hz image if you want it to. Unless you are using one of the AV modes, you will find the 100hz in the advanced settings menu
On the remote press MENU > PICTURE > ADVANCED CONTROL > TRUMOTION > OFF/LOW/HIGH.

Even if you enable the Trumotion feature, when you press ENTER on the remote, you will still see 50hz dispalyed. This is what the screen is being fed - from DVD player or terrestrial TV etc, not what you have set the TV to display. This is normal.

100hz is the doubling of frames (sometimes the addition of 'fake' frames) from 50hz and can help reduce motion blur during fast moving images. It is normally reserved for sports or gaming on a console/pc where it's implementation normally improves the picture.
For movies the 100hz can give a slightly artificial look to the picture, but it is user subjective. Use it if you wish, but you might not find it essential for anything you watch.

As for HDMI cables - these are now the de facto cable to use, and being digital should perform really well regardless of it's price. Most people will tell you not to spend more than £10 on one, and just make sure it's a well built cable. There is little to suggest that a mega expensive cable will improve your picture over a cheaper HDMI cable but I do know of people who say that an improvement in build quality can reduce glitches or interference, basically transmit the picture and sound with more efficiency. Don't be tempted with mega expensive cables or buy into sales talk. Inexpensive and well built is all you need.

Hope this helps a little. Someone else should be a long shortly to explain things a little more professionally.:D

J4CK DANIELS

Novice Member
Hope this helps a little. Someone else should be a long shortly to explain things a little more professionally.:D

Fruit is 100% correct..... EXCEPT.... you have a PG (Plasma model) which doesn't actually add an extra frame, it might take yet someone else to explain the difference between frame and hold (LCD) and the way a Plasma works (MUCH quicker refresh rate) basically on the sticker for LCD 100Hz means that it will add a frame in and on a plasma its just stating the obvious....

margategal

Standard Member
Thank you both ever so much. Oddly enough, I full understand what you have said. I was confused as some of these HDMI cables the supposed gentleman in Curry's was telling me to purchase cost £89.99 when I had already got one for £11. I thought I may be missing out due to having a 'cheap' cable.

Thank you very much, its very much appreciated.

Monarch

Distinguished Member
You don't turn the 100Hz control on or off on the plasma models, each frame (of a 50Hz source, ie; regular TV) will just be displayed twice to reduce flicker because after each frame is displayed the pixels effectively turn off before displaying the next image, displaying at 50 frames per second (ie 50Hz) makes this flicker visible, anything above around 60 will remove flicker. So, basically, the TV will just show each image twice, unless you're gaming, then it will stick to the games native 60Hz. It will show 50Hz on the TV as that is what the source is (as mentioned), but it will be displaying at 100Hz.

Also as mentioned above you don't need to spend a lot on HDMI cables, spend at least £5 because with the 99p cables you're fairly likely to get one which will either fall apart after two weeks and doesn't fit properly which, as a result, causes drop-outs in the signal. However, the signal is digital, so there shouldn't be any variation in the quality, it's either there or it's not. I think things change a bit when cables get longer but that's anything above 10 metres or something. I would recommend spending between £5 and £10, I spent £8.50 on mine and they're a noticeable improvement over my £2 ones which drop out from time to time and have fallen apart a bit

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom