1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

42 inch plasma for £820, someone tell me the catch?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by cric2k, Oct 22, 2005.

1. cric2k

cric2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,
    I'm newly in the market for a budget plasma tv and I have come across the one below.

cheap plasma tv

The model is Hisense and i've read mixed reviews about this brand.

My budget is under a grand.

I am 21 years old, I have just bought my first house and I move in next week.
    £820 is very affordable to me as I've loads of knick naks to buy for the house and just before Christmas a few hundred quid makes all the difference to me.

I want a simple plasma tv to watch football, ntl cable, a few dvds and to plug my laptop into to play things like divx etc.
    I'm not too fussed about HDTV or amazing speakers. I already have a very decent set of surrounds which I intend to use.
    My main interest is getting a clear non blurry picture.

Does anyone want to try put me off this impulse buy before I get consumers remorse?

2. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have a look at www.avsforum.com the Hisense(if same model) is a topic of discussion and it seems to get the thumbs up!

3. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Previous versions of the Hisense plasma had some problems according What Palsma as I understand...I believe that the PDP4212EU is the most advanced model, don't go for earlier revisions like PDP4211EU...

4. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do your research well cric2k before you buy a cheaper Plasma...better a good CRT than a bad Plasma

5. cric2k

cric2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    To be honst i'm going for the flashyness of having a big plasma attached to my wall above my fireplace.

I've just bought meself a nice big recliner sofa and I've already got a great surround sound system, I think a plasma is the missing piece in my setup now.

I've been seriously considering the Panasonic PWD7 after reading several posts on this forum. Can someone please give me some information on what extras i'll need to buy on this one?
    I assume I can get a cheap wall mounting kit off ebay. I want to mainly use the screen with NTL cable, my dvd recorder, xbox and Laptop hooked up. I don't really care for a normal analogue tv turner.
    So what else will i need to buy?

6. cric2k

cric2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
  7. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If it was me, I would save a bit more and get the badge to go on the front.

8. cric2k

cric2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'm moving into my new house on Friday, I want to try do as much work as possible before I move the rest of the family in.
    My son has breathing difficulties and I don't want to start making cavities etc in my plaster (for my wires) and then repainting while he is living in the house.

Plus i've got a new fireplace to put in and I thought I might as well get the wiring for my tv in place at the same time.

Does anyone have any views on that Bush Plasma tv posted above. I have never heard of Bush making plasmas and i'm unable to find any reviews elsewhere.

9. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Bush is probably someone else's model re-branded...just make sure you don't fire up your fireplace while the Plasma is hanging above it...

10. cric2k

cric2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    lol don't worry i'm putting in an electric fire (for show mainly) and i'll make sure that the tv isn't getting too much rising heat off it.

11. robo989

robo989
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    So...

Interesting topic...

I've been waiting out for the PV500 to get abit cheaper, but it doesn't look like it will anytime soon. I'm thinking that I may well get this plasma and use it for the next 9 months or so then sell it for £500 or something and buy the latest plasma thats then available.

Panasonic really are taking the (insert profanity) and they need a good kick up the behind.

Also buying this will make me feel very good, that as a direct result of panasonics dirty tricks they have lost my money.

Having said that of course it would be nice to have some details on this plasma, I can't seem to find the the resolution of this panel on the e-buyer site?

Does anyone have any info on it? I couldn't find any info on it on the link that was posted.

Thank you...

(Basically need to know if I should just go ahead and get the thing this evening, and is it really hd ready etc etc etc)

Thank you :)

Rob

12. robo989

robo989
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
  13. cric2k

cric2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    i'm torn between the Hisense on Ebuyer and the Bush in Argos. The ebuyer one costs me 45 quid less after postage to Northern Ireland but the Bush has the distinct advantage of being bought in store (and therefore easy to return if I have a problem)

So far I have had six orders with ebuyer, on 3 occassions I have had to return one or more the items I received because it was defective. I haven't used them in a year and I've started reading some recents reviews here http://audiovisual.kelkoo.co.uk/ctl/do/maxiMerchantReviews~3436823

as you can see not a pretty picture and I'm a little bit edgy investing my limited money with them now.

14. robo989

robo989
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    yep your right to be concerned about their returns. I've bought countless items from them cos they're so cheap at some some stuff.

Returning a modem to them once though took 4 weeks to get a replacement and it was a different chipset to the one I purchased (not worse just not the one I ordered)

A few people I know didn't like the process but did get everything sorted, but yes loads of people have had problems with them....

Still, argos aren't exactly well known for honoring warranties in a timely manner either...

:confused:

After reading that review properly, I don't think I'm gonna get the screen the review talks about the picture not flowing smoothly and that sounds very worrying, also doesn't support prog scan.

15. cric2k

cric2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    You gotta remember that the guy doing the review probably handles some quality plasma tv's and that the tv he was testing probably hadn't been "broke in". I doubt i'll find anything better at a similar price though I probably won't run the risk of having to return something that big from Belfast to Sheffield.

Have a look at this model of Hisense TV http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1617117&CatId=387

it weighs in at nearly 900 quid and is high definition. That company does deliver internationally but i'm sure using an American TV in Europe will probably be more hassle than it's worth.

16. nicke20

nicke20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Richer sounds still have 42 inch 6 series pannys for £999 and 37 inch 7 series for £999
    I know what id buy for that budget

17. cric2k

cric2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    aye but you have to take into consideration all the extras you gotta buy with the Panny which would make it at cheapest around £1200, which is at least £350 (around 40%) more expensive than the Hisense model.

I've got a young family and I really am on that tight of a budget.

18. nicke20

nicke20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    what extras ?

wall mount £65
    freeview box ??
    and scart or vga cable

if the budget is that tight, dont do it !
    you could always ask santa for some early christmas presents :smashin:

have you looked at the few plasmas for sale in the for sale section ?

19. RHCP

RHCP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    cri2k, you get what you pay for!

Don't you think that if this plasma was going to be as good as the panasonic at that price, we'd all have one.

If you want a cheap plasma then buy it.

If you want a good plasma like a panasonic you've got to be willing to push the boat out a little bit more.

Its probably the cheapest i've seen, but you can't expect great quality for that price.

20. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If it was me and money was tight, I would get the LG for i think, 1100 HD ready or the samsung at only 1000. Both available at electrical discount UK. I got my Hitachi from them and the service was v good. Or I would take a 32" lcd sharp lc50(bargain 750 quid on kelkoo) and wait a year til i can afford a proper telly.

21. RHCP

RHCP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
  22. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I wouldnt go for a cheap name plasma they are all made from another manufacture. I have known many people go for a cheap plasma exspecting to have a fantasic picture only for then to say "the picture isnt very good why is it all pixaly" Save that little bit extra and go for a brand who at least makes the plasma itself and doesnt rebadge them.

23. cric2k

cric2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    As I mentioned earlier I'm new to Plasma technology. I've spent quite a few hours researching different brands over the last few days though I've no practical experience with the TV's themselves.

Just say I do buy the Panny display off Richer Sounds for a grand. I already have a freeview box, an ntl box, a dvd recorder and my own surround sound speaker system. Will I not need some sort of interface to plug these into the Panasonic display?

I can stretch myself to a grand for the display but not much over as I still have to leave myself cash for replastering my wall and all the fittings etc. My woman is kinda taking the hump as she wreckins there's better things to spend your dough on when you first move into a house.

Thanks for the suggestions from everyone else, electrical discount UK seems very reasonable and i'll probably go for the Samsung PS42V6SX if I don't go for the panny now.

24. nicke20

nicke20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    if you have freeview and a dvd then just daisychain them into a scart board
    thats only one conection into the plasma

one last point :lesson:

dont buy a plasma without seeing it in use playing real world material ie freeview not saving nemo on dvd

25. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You'll need an input board to connect your PW7 to a signal. Richer sounds charge 150 but you can probably get one cheap on the internet or ebay.

Also the PWD7 42" is available from Richersounds at 999. Dunno how it compares with PW7 37". The black levels on the pannys are much better than anything else at the price(Lord of the rings is a good test for a plasma).

26. nicke20

nicke20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    yep scart board on ebay now £46, 1 day to go

27. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is worth listening to the guys here cric and buy something like the Panny....persoanlly I would avoid makes such as Bush, Goodmans, Daewoo or lesser known cheaper makes.....in the long run you will probably regret it....for a little more money you can get the Panny and it really will make all the difference and is much less likely to break down in 2 years time but rather last you 20 years

28. cric2k

cric2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Well richer sounds told me that they had no panny 7's left and they were getting the 8's in soon.

So i've had to order meself this samsung http://www.electricaldiscountuk.co.uk/itfx_product_details.php?pid=5146

I'm paying for half of it up front and half of it on interest free credit, which leaves me with pleanty more money for fittings and fixtures.

now i need to get myself a universal wall mount and a good set of scarts, anyone any ideas?

29. RHCP

RHCP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    why did you order this screen?

30. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    because its a grand, ready to go and looks good?