42"+ Gaming TV?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Twisted Chaz, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Twisted Chaz

Twisted Chaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I primarily use my TV with my Xbox (360 and One) for gaming, streaming TV and Films with the Netflix and YouTube apps, and also connect my Macbook Pro via the HDMI out and watch TV and Films via VLC.

Last year I bought a new LG 42" (42LN578V) and have been completely underwhelmed with it. The main issue I've had with it is that the input lag is quite bad, even when in Game Mode. It's quite noticeable that from pressing a button on the controller there's a delay until something happens on screen. Most people probably wouldn't see it, but I do, and it drives me crazy. Another issue it has is that there's about a half second or more delay with the audio, which makes watching movies incredibly unbearable.

I've been looking to replace it for a while, and thought now would be a good time to buy. My budget can probably stretch to £800, and I'd like it to be 42" or bigger, preferably ~46". I'm not bothered about 3D, or having a Smart TV. The main aim is to have a great looking TV, small bevel, that has minimal input lag and no audio delay.

I prefer Samsung, but I get a good discount at Sony through a friend, so my sony budget can be pushed to £1,000.

R470A Series | Televisions | Sony
    or maybe
    W800A Series | Televisions | Sony

Would be great to get some feedback/insight!

Thanks

2. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Forget the R series songs, not much good

Look at the w65* available in 42" or 50" in the uk

3. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Id go W8 or stretch to a 9.

4. Twisted Chaz

Twisted Chaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the site there are 2 versions of the W8 series, is there a huge difference except for the price?

And what about any of the Samsung 6 Series?

5. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Only difference I know is colour, 805 is black and the 807 silver.

The Sonys have the lowest lag and the 9 is probably the only LED set I've seen that if need be I'd buy, your best bet is to go compare the Samsungs and Sonys yourself.
    Oh Sony doesn't offer a lot in the way of smart features if that matters to you.

6. Twisted Chaz

Twisted Chaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. I would go and check but it's a bit tricky to test TV's in a shop when they never have all the different models, no console/dvd player to test and all their settings are out of whack.

I'm really not fussed about it being a "Smart" TV or 3D, I have my Xbox and Macbook for all the media stuff I need.

Cheers

7. Twisted Chaz

Twisted Chaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh and sorry I meant there is a W9, W8 and a W85 series

8. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    If you can Id go W9, uniformity looks good for LCD, blacks are deep giving rich colours and a lot of depth.
    The only real issue is viewing angles but even there I'm pleasantly surprised.
    For gaming you also have low lag and I believe good motion, this is only from what I read though as I haven't gamed on one.
    Sony are really showing what a good LCD can do with this set, Id go with this or a 50" GT60 with the Sony better for gaming and GT better for the rest....IMO :)