42" 1920 x 1080 plasmas

Miles High

Standard Member
OK so I want a 42" plasma and I want it 'full HD', ie 1920x10980. Now I know pixels are not everything, and I know some can't tell the difference (I can). I also know some dont think its worth it (I do) - for me its both PQ and losless 1 to 1 mapping that makes me think this way.

Anyway, now that technology has apparently reached the point where plasma pixels are small enough to fit 2.07 million-odd of them onto a 42" screen, I thought I would ask if anybody knows what models are available now or in the near future.:lease:

I know the Hitachi P42H401 is available in the US (but not UK?), and the Panasonic PZ700 is due here in Juneish - anybody know anymore?

choddo2006

Novice Member
Can only think of the PZ700 but I'm sure Pioneer won't be far behind.

p.s. how far away will you be sitting & what sources? If you really can tell the difference at 42", and you're sitting any more than 3-4 feet away, you must have awesome eyesight ;)

Miles High

Standard Member
Thanks choddo. I wonder when the pios are due exactly.

My viewing distance is circa 2.7m/9'. I compared 2 sony lcds (not an lcd fan but needs must) side by side with the same hd feed (from a pc - made to make the sonys look their best) at this distance and although the 768 was good the 1080 was noticeably better. I know this doesn't necessarily follow with plasmas (and probably wont to the same degree I admit) but my points still stand.

I am fortunate enough to have always had good eyesight but I wouldn't have thought it was better then a reasonable proportion of people!

choddo2006

Novice Member
Ah but the two Sonys may well have had completely different electronics (and possibly screens for that matter) and that's what will probably make more of a difference.

pjskel

OK so I want a 42" plasma and I want it 'full HD', ie 1920x10980. Now I know pixels are not everything, and I know some can't tell the difference (I can). I also know some dont think its worth it (I do) - for me its both PQ and losless 1 to 1 mapping that makes me think this way.

Anyway, now that technology has apparently reached the point where plasma pixels are small enough to fit 2.07 million-odd of them onto a 42" screen, I thought I would ask if anybody knows what models are available now or in the near future.:lease:

I know the Hitachi P42H401 is available in the US (but not UK?), and the Panasonic PZ700 is due here in Juneish - anybody know anymore?

If you can afford the extra, then the 50PZ700 is out May (scheduled).
At 9ft viewing, you're spot on with the rec'd min distance for HD source material.

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/plasma-tv/th50pz700cab/index.htm

As I'm sure you may be aware by reading the threads herein, Pioneer are doing something special in Italy in May, so I suspect this may be the Euro launch of the new 8G panels. June would be a fair bet for decent quantities to have landed on UK dealers' doorstep.

Miles High

Standard Member
The thing putting me off the 50 though (wife wrath and cost aside) is SD PQ.
Do you think the 50PZ700 will do a good job at SD? I have my doubts. From what I've seen so far (pio 427, panny 42px60) I wouldnt want SD PQ less than what these 42ers can provide.

Looked at the link, interesting Panasonic haven't mentioned the 42 on their site yet. Hope thats not an omen...

Anyone know of any other 1920x1080 42ers???

pjskel

Panny UK will only add the imminent panels, not those a good month and a half away.
I'm surprised they even added the PZ700 yet unless beginning of May for first arrivals.
I can't comment on 50" SD, as the Pioneer/Pannys I've seen have all been doing HD, but if you have the viewing distance, then SD will be more than acceptable.
There's only worry when you sit closer than min rec'd, but this is more to do with seeing the pixel matrix.
The scalar is a big part of how SD will look, and the likes of Panny and Pioneer won't have sacrificed that aspect of the design since SD is still very much a part of Euro broadcasting.
Once you get the opposite, where SD is in the minority of transmissions, then they'll not overly concern themselves with the scalar's SD processing, as much as they could.

Miles High

Standard Member
The 42pz700 is now being advertised at £1983, including delivery, 'available June'.

When its been out couple of months maybe a bit less?
Time to get decorating in my living room I reckon...

mark800

Distinguished Member
The 42pz700 is now being advertised at £1983, including delivery, 'available June'.

When its been out couple of months maybe a bit less?
Time to get decorating in my living room I reckon...
Actually it's being advertised by Amazon for £1749 (plus £29.99 delivery), and £1729 (free delivery) from AV Sales.

Miles High

Standard Member
Thanks mark800, its tumbling already!

I normally check half a dozen or so retailers when ready to buy, the 1983 price was a starting price really.

Hopefully as soon as someone gets one, they will post their thoughts (maybe pics and review?) - please! (Going on previous model releases there are bound to be quite a few here who buy before I do).

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom