1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

42" 1024x768 vs 50" 1366x768/1280x768

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Wilt, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Wilt

Wilt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi everyone.

Considering the Panny PHD8 or new Pioneer 6th gen but was wondering if I get a 50 inch screen will the higher res then 42 inch versions make a great deal of difference in pic quality when viewing HD.

I'm willing to pay the huge extra for a 50 inch, but only if the majority of you guys believe that it's worth it.

Kind regards

Wil

2. fuzzb

fuzzb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same question that I posted last week but didn't get any replies.

In the end I went for the 50" Panasonic 50PV500 with Cabinet for £3999 from Gultronics and it's due to be delivered tomorrow.

I went into Comet today and had a look around and the 42PV500 stood out from the rest, the colours were vibrant and the blacks were blacker than the other screens.

In the end I went for the 50" due to the 16:9 ratio of pixels (1366 x 768) rather than the 42" with a 4:3 ratio of pixels that have to be stretched to get a 16:9 screen.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    How far away are you going to be sitting from the screen? Distance from display and visual acuity go hand in hand with perceived resolution. You should also realise that t of pixels is also not a standard by which to judge image quality. It's true that you want lots....but that alone isn't enough.

So if you're 10ft away from screen then I'd say 50" is do-able.....under 8ft and you are going to see things you might not want to...unless you are using very high qualty sources and external processing. Which 42 or 50 is another question and one I think that only you can answer. If you want forum members advice then I think we need to wait till your choices are actually ini the country and for sale.

Gordon

4. Wilt

Wilt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi gents

I'll be sitting 7 feet away from the screen. This was another thing concerning me. I'm hoping to see these displays in action at the Stuff Show in November, hopefully i'll be able to make up my mind then.

Just wondering if anyone has seen previous Panny and Pioneer 42" and 50" up close and decided what gave a better pic. If theres no great difference than i'll get the 42.