40w3000 vs 40f86 or the z3030

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by JDM121, Jan 12, 2008.

Tags:
  1. JDM121

JDM121

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, i have my nice 32" panny which i love, but i duno it seems too small. which tv would you recomemend for out of those for a grand or so budget?

2. JDM121

JDM121

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any one man?

3. SuperSquash

SuperSquash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    This is an interesting comparison, and one that I have been making myself recently.

The problem with questions like this, is that you're going to get lots of people who own x, y, z set (or in this case W, F, Z lol) recommending whichever they have bought. You may get the odd couple who have owned two or even all of these sets because they've bought one and returned it due to problems.

Look through the respective forums and you'll find that each set has its issues. I personally discounted the Samsung first because I don't personally rate them as a company that builds quality components like Toshiba and Sony and therefore my choice was between the 40W3000 and the 40Z3030D. I’m sure that comment will offend some, but that is my opinion, nothing else.

Specs wise, the Tosh looks every bit the match for the Sony, but lack of a decent independent review (i.e. HDTV test) meant that there wasn't a lot to go on. These forums give me the impression that the Z still doesn't handle 24fps properly as it ought to (although judder free, some seem to have reported that it takes away the true cinematic feel). Then I also get the impression that blacks aren't as good as the Sony or the Samsung - whereas the colours are meant to be very good.

The deal breaker on the Toshiba for me was the fact that there aren't per input picture settings - which when you have upwards of a couple of sources is unforgivable in my eyes. I'm sure Toshiba know that each source is calibrated differently – so not to follow in Sony/Samsung's footsteps in this area seems a disappointing omission for me. I think I could have lived with the not so good blacks or the not perfect 24fps, but those together and the lack of per input presets put me off. Shame really, because I think the Toshiba’s actually look better than the Sony’s.

Based on the review on HDTV test I put my price match in at John Lewis, as I was sure the Sony 40W3000 was the one for me. Sony have always been a producer of good products from my experience, although no one can argue that they do demand a premium. Their looks are timeless and most would probably agree that they do look expensive yet understated - which I quite like. Particularly when compared to the garish Samsung with its giant perspex 'ears'. I was somewhat put off by the forced dynamic contrast feature that Sony had imposed on this model, but I was willing to deal with it, even though deep down I think I was only making myself swallow that one because I wanted a Sony. I read a lot of the views on here and talk of smearing and purple/green hues on darker colours and shadows put me off. I play a lot of Xbox 360 FPS games and have invested in HD-DVD too, so my next screen investment at this price range needs to be spot on. In my heart of hearts I wanted to go with the Sony – I even have the JL PM ready to go for £1199, but the problems I've read about just wouldn't ever let me rest - I would always be trying to pick holes in it.

On top of the inherent flaws that each and every product has (read 'product' - as this applies to anything we seem to buy), you also have to take into account the likely hood of getting a dud - i.e. dead pixels, backlight bleed, clouding etc. Obviously this is something that we need to take on the chin, but if I have to have clouding and back light bleed and I'm spending over a grand, I want the picture to be spot on and have all the bells and whistles!

So at this moment, I have a ~ £1000 to spend on a 1080p TV and no likely candidate in sight!

4. JDM121

JDM121

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks, the samsungs i have seen i dont like the blacks are too black, ie the whole picture is black.

yer it seems like every tv has a problem(s), even my tx32lxd70 has problems. i need to keep on reading.

5. SuperSquash

SuperSquash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Funnily enough, I'm really pleased with my Panasonic 32LXD70, I'm only really looking to replace it because I'd like full 1080p. After I tweaked the settings for HD-DVD in cinema mode, I've really enjoyed the picture quality. Although again, the lack of per input settings and could be better blacks do let it down a little.

6. JDM121

JDM121

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you notice any judder on your lxd70?
    Also I use my panny as a main monitor so 1080p will be a huge benifit!

7. SuperSquash

SuperSquash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    When I was researching which TV to buy when I bought my Panny, I was sceptical about the forced 100hz, as I had read a lot of stuff about some people turning it off on other sets. In practice though, I've genuinely never noticed any judder at all. I must admit though, I don't watch a lot of football on it - I stopped Sky Sports as I wasn't watching it frequently enough, so I just get the Champions league every now and then.

I would recommend you research your monitor requirements in that case, as I thought I read that some sets don't support 1080p over VGA, or something to that effect.

8. JDM121

JDM121

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will be using HDMI rather than VGA, since vga is very bad with my lxd70