40V2500 - In stores within 2 weeks apparently..

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by jsgreen89, Aug 24, 2006.

Tags:
  1. jsgreen89

jsgreen89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Spoke to a few people in the Sony store just now. And the manager in there seemed fairly certain that they'll receive 40" V2500s by the first week of September. He said it's merely a case of waiting for the V2000s to sell out, then the V2500s will be coming in.

He also said the price should be identical.

Either way I'm waiting a couple of weeks :clap:

2. mr-monday

mr-monday

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Any idea how the 2500 will differ from the 2000? Sounds like it'll just be an extra HDMI and perhaps another component.

If that's the case I might just pick up a 2000 for a cheaper price..

3. jsgreen89

jsgreen89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    He did say the only difference was an extra HDMI. If they knocked £200 off the V2000, then i'd definately go for one of those over the V2500.

4. Grimaldi

Grimaldi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I hadn't heard of the V2500 so had a little search on google.

Found a link to the sony online shop in US:
    http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...roductInformation-Print?ProductSKU=KDL40V2500

If the above also applies to the EU model then I guess it represents quite a bit of an improvement over the V2000, mainly:

- Full HD resolution including support for 1080p
    - 2 HDMI connections

Also saw on a US discussion forum that like the X2000 it will support 1:1 pixel mapping without any scaling.

I may have finally found the TV I am looking for. :thumbsup:

5. jsgreen89

jsgreen89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I'm 95% certain that the V2500 won't be 1080p. I think it'll have a 2nd HDMI only, and maybe a 2nd component input.

I know the US model has 1080p, but I really don't think this one will. Maybe the 46V2500 will have 1080p (if that exists!)

6. Angry the Clown

Angry the Clown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    It does seem as if our V2500 will be different to the one overseas, which honestly, to me would be just fine if it's just going to have the same nice chassis design and price but with a second HDMI (better yet if they add a second component too). I'm eager to find out for certain.

7. Grimaldi

Grimaldi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Did more digging. Looks like the euro version will be the 40W2000. Per the Sony Luxembourg site its due for release in October and will be full HD ... although there are not too many details on that site at present.

http://www.sonycenter.lu/news/bravia-full-hd.php

It and the 46" versions will probably utilise the same panel as will be (is in the case of the 46X) used in the X series.

I would speculate that the only difference will be the number of connections, the look of the chassis and the extent of image processing that the two ranges have.

So in the future the S series will be 768 lines, while the premium W and X ranges will offer full HD with a few more features thrown in in the case of the X series.

Edit: The Sony Luxembourg site seems quite reliable ... I remember reading about the X series on it at the start of the year ... so far all of the models that were mentioned there have been released as stated.

8. Angry the Clown

Angry the Clown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    No the 'W' is yet another model entirely that will be priced between the V series and the X series. Confusing isn't it? See jamie110's posts in this thread about both sets (this post specifically).

9. Grimaldi

Grimaldi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    It is all a bit confusing.

I think that the mostly likely outcome is that there will never be no V2500 in Europe, and my reasoning is as follows:

- Sony seem quite consistent in their naming of products accross the markets (even if the products are not given the same name its unlikely that two different products would be given exactly the same name)

- There does not seem to be any information about a V2500 model anywhere on the net (from a European viewpoint) yet the W2000 is mentioned in quite a few places

- The W2000 looks exactly like the V2500 with the exception of the V2500 being silver (per the pics I posted above)

Mind you ... its all speculation anyway ... and I wouldn't be surprised if the V2500 was released very quietly as to not have a significant impact on the market for the V2000. Guess we'll just have to wait and see :)

10. jsgreen89

jsgreen89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I guess we'll find out in the next few weeks. I'm hoping for a V2500, or whatever the new V2000 is. I really can't see them introducing 1080p this early, because it'll be too close to the X-range.

11. Angry the Clown

Angry the Clown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Jamie110 stated in the thread I linked to that he works for the business group responsible for Sony's TVs in Europe, so if anyone's going to know, it's him. Again, it seems only like our V2500 and America's are alike in model number alone, and there the similarities end.

That's not entirely true. Lyris found it listed on a couple of Sony Europe's spec sheets. That's how a number here first came to know of its existence and start asking questions, then Jamie110 graciously stepped in to confirm it.

From as far as I can tell, the outcome will be that they have decided, given the larger screen size and higher price, that they will add the functionality of a second HDMI input to the 40 inch V series model and that's about it. The 1080p ‘entry' level LCDs from Sony will be the W series that will be priced between that of the V series and X series (so I'd imagine perhaps £2800 retail price on a 40inch W series set).

Well again, the 1080p W series IS coming (in October apparently), just not at V series pricing. They'll be a fair bit more expensive, but not as expensive as the X series. This is really all we know about the two sets for now.

12. MrLOL

MrLOL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    there has been a 32 v2500 mentioned in the same spec sheet too

so im guessing the 32 will be replaced as well, but at a later date.

13. jsgreen89

jsgreen89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Damn this is complicated! Fingers crossed all will become clear in a week or two :thumbsup:

14. McE

McE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    my swiss dealer has the 40/46W2000 already listed on hes shop. Its a FullHD Panel but not capable of 1080p (only 1080i).

15. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    If the price is the same, my only question is why did Sony release the 1 HDMI version?

Surely adding the second input is trivial...

16. nuku22

nuku22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    you are gutted,arent you?

17. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    Not really, just puzzled.

18. Wobag

Wobag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I wonder if the revision is in anticipation of the release of the PS3, without a second HDMI they might actually lose out on sales as SkyHD and a PS3 without an expensive switch box would be a no no.

Perhaps a year ago when the design choices on the 2000 were being made, not being able to connect regular sky and a VCR by SCART seemed more pressing.

19. Angry the Clown

Angry the Clown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    From a marketing perspective, given most if not all of Sony's competition on the LCD market is offering at least two HDMI inputs I'd argue against it being a trivial matter. In fact, when I was in John Lewis at the weekend and quietly listening in to a salesman taking a couple through the various displays, he was quick to highlight dual HDMI on displays like the Panasonic and so on when comparing them to the Sony sets. If the price remains the same then kudos to Sony for making up for what was a stupid decision in the first place, which seems to be the drive behind releasing the V2500s.

20. jsgreen89

jsgreen89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    It does seem like a very trivial thing to add another HDMI. But maybe at the end of 2005 when the V2000 was being designed they thought the cost saving would be worth it, especially as only a couple of sets at the start of this year had 2 HDMI sockets.

But now that they're common place they've realised that it IS an issue, hence a hurried revision.

Hopefully if that's the only change, then the price will be the same. The guy in the Sony store seemed to think that they'd be replacing the V2000s anyday now. So basically I'd consider it a V2000 Mk2, rather than a V2500. Which is a good thing, because a big model change would mean a long delay and a price hike.

As soon as the 40V2500 hits the shelves, i'm selling my old 32" LG 32LX2R :D

21. BYF

BYF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    look out for the sony v3000 next month with 3 hdmi's to counter toshibas 3 hdmi offerings :devil:

sony really make me laugh, they make some great advanced tvs and then forget to put more than 1 hdmi on the damm thing :suicide:

22. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :D

They've always been this way, back in 2004 I think they were one of the only manufacturers to not include a DVI-HDCP or HDMI input in Europe (if not the only one). They didn't bring out "LCD WEGA v2, actually HD Ready this time, we were only kidding before" though.

23. teedjay

teedjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The highend Sonys all have 3 HDMI (X2500 series), the medium series V2500 (W2000) has 2 HDMI's while the older V2000, S2000 and U2000 is stuck with 1 HDMI.

I don't think that is much different from other brands, but of course - the V2000 series should have had 2 HDMI from the beginning - just like the new and updated V2500.

It seems like Japan has just replaced all 2000 series with 2500'ones. Can it be as simple as the 2500 models are just this seasons minor upgrade of the 2000 series?

At least in USA the V2500 do actually support full 1080p using HDMI, the manual clearly state this on page 14. Component is limited to 1080i and the VGA input can only handle analog RGB up to [email protected]

Both HDMI and VGA support 1:1 pixel mapping, and there are several modes to choose from to turn off, on or adjust overscan of HDMI video sources.

Using 1:1 pixelmapping on the VGA will result in black borders at 1400x1050 but you can always use the zoom/stretch feature.

So the V2500 (the US model at least) seems like a very nice upgrade from the current EU V2000 models.

24. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    Where did you find the manual for the V2500s?

25. SirJames

SirJames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try http://www.docs.sony.com/release/KDL40v2500.pdf

;)

I too am interested in the UK version the KDL40w2000 Primarily 'cos it's got the 1080p res, and will do 1:1 from the PC. I'm told this will only be possible using the HDMI input. Q - will I still be able to play HD content I have on the PC to the Screen across this HDMI link or will the HDCP prevent this ?

Am a bit Noob when it comes to this stuff, so forgive the ignorance if this is a dumb question.

JW

26. SirJames

SirJames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just put my order in for the 40w2000

No idea for how much yet (ulp!)

available mid october i'm told.....

27. g852

g852

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25

Where from?

28. SirJames

SirJames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chum at Sony Weybridge...

no idea what sort of discount he'll be able to get but it all helps.

JW

29. jsgreen89

jsgreen89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Not much point in 1080p if the best PC resolution is 1400x1050...

How do you play 1080i / 1080p sources from your PC? :thumbsdow

30. g852

g852

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25

If your card can only do that res, you'll need a better card....higher resolutions are possible, even with on board cards. The panel has no issues as other people have done 1920 x 1080p 50/60Hz

.....Or try newer drivers