40mm Pancake Randoms - Street Photography

snerkler

Distinguished Member
More great shots. I'm starting to like this focal length. Him in the Jewellers looks well impressed lol. Bet he thought you were casing the joint ;)

8 made me chuckle, pushchair alley :laugh:

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Very amusing set Dan, quality pictures IMO... I use my 20mm for street phtography on my Oly E-M5 as its crops to 40mm. They have given me the urge to go out and take some more....

Last edited:

shotokan101

Distinguished Member
only really like the last two shots TBH...

EDIT: - I meant from the larger set :)

Last edited:

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Is there a particular reason you're shooting at F11 for these Dan, are you shooting from the hip or something?

Dancook

Distinguished Member
Is there a particular reason you're shooting at F11 for these Dan, are you shooting from the hip or something?
bit of a mix, some eye level - some held down lower. I want to react to situations quickly without worrying about focus too much, narrow aperture allows me lots of wiggle room. 'Everything in focus' is also growing on me :)

shotokan101

Distinguished Member
I did number them, I don't know what you mean :D
LOL - but of course when referring to less than 4 contiguous shots at the start or end of a large set it's obviously unnecessary to bother with any fiddly numbers :D

mjb-av

Novice Member
Hi Dan, I've been a long time admirer of your work, but I'm not big on posting comments!

Number 11 looks great to my eye, but I can't help thinking it would look great in colour with the rich colours of a food shop window, maybe you have it in colour on your Flickr account I should look.

I see most street work is in B&W is that a rule?

Regards :)

Dancook

Distinguished Member
Hi Dan, I've been a long time admirer of your work, but I'm not big on posting comments!

Number 11 looks great to my eye, but I can't help thinking it would look great in colour with the rich colours of a food shop window, maybe you have it in colour on your Flickr account I should look.

I see most street work is in B&W is that a rule?

Regards :)
Not a rule no, just something that often works better.

It draws the eye towards the 'soul' of the photo - instead of the colours. On the street if there is a lot of distracting colour, B+W sorts it too. I usually only keep it in colour if the reason I took the photo was because of colour..

Like this girl with red hair.

13 FQ2A0980 by dancook1982, on Flickr

And the one you mention - I actually do like in colour, here it is.. the reason I actually went straight to BW is because it was severely underexposed due to camera issues :D I was trying out Magic Lantern auto exposure and it is not consistent enough to use.

14 [url=https://flic.kr/p/nChHu9]FQ2A1053-2 by dancook1982, on Flickr[/URL]

Dancook

Distinguished Member
LOL - but of course when referring to less than 4 contiguous shots at the start or end of a large set it's obviously unnecessary to bother with any fiddly numbers :D
Jim, I don't know whether i'm being marmite - or whether I'm failing :D

811710d112481ece3a4bff3908821f2e.jpg

I might even try again with my 35mm zeiss now - just did some tests - even at f11 it is clearly better than the 40mm pancake

Last edited:

shotokan101

Distinguished Member
"Voodoo Mama" works better for me ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Warner Bros 2021 movies coming to HBO Max and cinemas simultaneously
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
4K Streaming impacts carbon emissions says Royal Society
  • By Andy Bassett