40mm Pancake Randoms - Street Photography

snerkler

Nice set. Took me a while to get used to the DOF ;)

snerkler

More great shots. I'm starting to like this focal length. Him in the Jewellers looks well impressed lol. Bet he thought you were casing the joint ;)

8 made me chuckle, pushchair alley :laugh:

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Very amusing set Dan, quality pictures IMO... I use my 20mm for street phtography on my Oly E-M5 as its crops to 40mm. They have given me the urge to go out and take some more....

Last edited:

shotokan101

Banned
only really like the last two shots TBH...

EDIT: - I meant from the larger set :)

Last edited:

snerkler

Is there a particular reason you're shooting at F11 for these Dan, are you shooting from the hip or something?

Dancook

Distinguished Member
Is there a particular reason you're shooting at F11 for these Dan, are you shooting from the hip or something?

bit of a mix, some eye level - some held down lower. I want to react to situations quickly without worrying about focus too much, narrow aperture allows me lots of wiggle room. 'Everything in focus' is also growing on me :)

shotokan101

Banned
I did number them, I don't know what you mean :D

LOL - but of course when referring to less than 4 contiguous shots at the start or end of a large set it's obviously unnecessary to bother with any fiddly numbers :D

mjb-av

Hi Dan, I've been a long time admirer of your work, but I'm not big on posting comments!

Number 11 looks great to my eye, but I can't help thinking it would look great in colour with the rich colours of a food shop window, maybe you have it in colour on your Flickr account I should look.

I see most street work is in B&W is that a rule?

Regards :)

Dancook

Distinguished Member
Hi Dan, I've been a long time admirer of your work, but I'm not big on posting comments!

Number 11 looks great to my eye, but I can't help thinking it would look great in colour with the rich colours of a food shop window, maybe you have it in colour on your Flickr account I should look.

I see most street work is in B&W is that a rule?

Regards :)

Not a rule no, just something that often works better.

It draws the eye towards the 'soul' of the photo - instead of the colours. On the street if there is a lot of distracting colour, B+W sorts it too. I usually only keep it in colour if the reason I took the photo was because of colour..

Like this girl with red hair.

13 FQ2A0980 by dancook1982, on Flickr

And the one you mention - I actually do like in colour, here it is.. the reason I actually went straight to BW is because it was severely underexposed due to camera issues :D I was trying out Magic Lantern auto exposure and it is not consistent enough to use.

14 [url=https://flic.kr/p/nChHu9] FQ2A1053-2 by dancook1982, on Flickr[/URL]

Dancook

Distinguished Member
LOL - but of course when referring to less than 4 contiguous shots at the start or end of a large set it's obviously unnecessary to bother with any fiddly numbers :D

Jim, I don't know whether i'm being marmite - or whether I'm failing :D

811710d112481ece3a4bff3908821f2e.jpg

I might even try again with my 35mm zeiss now - just did some tests - even at f11 it is clearly better than the 40mm pancake

Last edited:

shotokan101

Banned
"Voodoo Mama" works better for me ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Audio-Technica launches ATH-SQ1TW true wireless earphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for December 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best Projectors of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Steve Withers
  • Published
Black Friday 2021: What you need to know