40mm fans on pcie slots

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by offitmassive, Apr 24, 2016.

1. offitmassive

offitmassive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Hi all I'm looking at getting a pair of NF-A4x10 FLX to slot inside the case to reside where the pcie removable slots are to help with the heat inside my aerocool ds cube . In there is my r9 390 which runs great. There is a 200mm fan at the front which doesn't draw much air in due to the front design of my case and am unsure if I should have these fans drawing in cool air in or have them exhaust. The fan where the case exhaust goes is my AIO drawing in and up top I have a 120 and 140mm both exhaust .

2. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    EU3A0124.JPG I have just built a system with the AeroCool DS Cube for use in a country with a very hot climate (up to 50C!). I replaced the AeroCool front fan with a 200mm Bitfenix BFF-SPRO-20025WW-RP and the rear 120mm fan with a 140mm Noctua NF-A14 PWM. The Bitfenix is wider (25mm) than the Aercool but fits inside the case, moves much more air and is actually quieter. If fitting a Bitfenix take care to ensure the fan spins freely after assembly before applying power; the blades are very close to the mounting surface and may hit the alternative mounting bosses on the case and break the blade! I fitted the Bitfenic using fan screws but isolated with rubber grommets on the inside and rubber washers under the head.
    The 140mm also moves much more air and again is very quiet. The case has mounting holes for a 140mm fan. The Noctua was mounted with the Noctua rubber mounts.

To give some idea of the system heat load the build consisted of:
    • Intel Core i7-6600K
    • Noctua NH-U9S tower CPU cooler (exhaust facing rear fan)
    • Asus Z170M-PLUS
    • EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SSC ACX GAMING 2GB
    • Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2
    • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
    • Seagate Desktop HDD 2TB SATA-III
    In a 25C ambient the Graphics card stabilised at 78C, while the CPU only reached 41C when both under full load. The M.2 SSD never got above 40C.

System noise was never a problem, even with the DS on the desk.

The front fan should be the intake and the rear fan the exhaust to give a flow of air from front to back. The key to better temperatures is moving more cool air across the board, not by adding more fans internally.

3. offitmassive

offitmassive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Thanks for the reply. Where your exhaust is , I have a AIO h70 pulling in cool air for my cpu ..my exhausts on both on top . I have thought of changing the aerocool 200mm fan but weren't sure how much difference it would make . I have thought of the nzxt fz200 fan also

4. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    The advantage of having a 140mm exhaust fan at the rear is that it is more effective at pulling cold air over the motherboard. Having fans at the top will cause the flow to be diagonally upwards leaving a wedge shaped area above the board relatively stagnant. Can't you move your radiator to the top? The NZXT is 30mm thick and may not fit without touching the drive bay tray. The Bitfenix is 25mm and with rubber mountings is quite close to the tray.

5. offitmassive

offitmassive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    I did have the rad at the top but then the dust was slowly building up on the top filter . But then the filter was doing its job. Thanks for letting me know about the fz200 thickness. I'll go for a bitfenix. Did you have before and after bitfenix Temps? What's the noise like on it ?

6. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    It was the temperature of the m.2 SSD, positioned next to the graphics card, when the GPU and CPU were at 100% load for extended periods that was concerning me. With the improved airflow from the two larger fans flowing across the MB the SSD temperatures were considerably reduced. They were reduced to a level that was still OK when used in country it was destined for, running in ambients of 30-35C.

Noise levels were not a problem. All fans were carefully setup using QFan control and none of them need to run at maximum speed, even at full load. I did take some noise measurements but if anything the noise level was less with the revised fan setup.

7. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    The greater the airflow the better, as the general rule. However, targeting processor chips is also important which is why they often have h/s with attached fans.... this is the norm on MBO's and Graphic cards - Pluse we know all PSU's use fans because they are very compact.
    However, once you reach a decent airflow, increasing it will make little difference, since the design of the h/s may become the limiting factor.

I'm not convinced that h/s manufactures uses the material in the most efficient way . . . they tend to look very much designed by a hacksaw, whereas the metal should maybe taper to almost nothing - resulting in a design more like a tree, or bush, or seaweed, where the plant is trying to achieve maximum surface area.
    Maybe in time we shall see designs using additive metal manufacture . . . like plastic 3D printing, but using aluminium.

why aluminium? - it's relatively light, easy to machine and any "waste" can be recycled easily. The downside is that it oxidises easily ( on the surface, Rapidly!) although you may not notice this for some time.
    Incidently, the dimples in a golfball were put there to alter the airflow, yet we never see heatsinks ( do we?) that have a rough surface.

I'm not aware of h/s designs that are self-cleaning - to eliminate the dust issue, which shows where the airflow drops. Of course cleaning the PC is a good thing, provided the dirt/dust doesn't interfere with normal operation.

Liquid-cooling was popular a while ago . . . maybe useful in hot climates - or stick the thing in a refrigerator - but you can get Peltier-effect devices that move the heat energy from one surface ( cool side), to another (=hot side) . . . . I understand these are Expensive and use quite a lot of low-voltage current. All this power has to add to ambient heat - so it has to be removed by even more fans and heatsinks.

Did OP take measurements "before and After" - that's probably a good idea. Otherwise it very difficult to know if the work-effort was worthwhile.

8. offitmassive

offitmassive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    I put the h70 into the ceiling of the ds cube as an intake along side another noctua 120mm fan as an intake and am now using the exhaust as an exhaust. Gpu temp seems to be around 3-4c cooler on the same load and fan curve . Do the noctua nhd14 systems cool better or as well as the h70 with a good noise level ? I only got the h70 as it seems (to me ) a better option for airflow around the case as it's a lesser obstruction... if you get me