40HX800 - Disappointed

SIP

Hi

I have just purchased the 40HX800, after reading reviews and using the helpful guide on this forum. Coming from a Panasonic plasma, I was aware that I would have to go onto an OLED, to see something that matched the quality of that TV. Unfortunately, having recently moved house, I am very limited by size, with 43" being the absolute maximum that I could have....so that ruled out the OLED! After setting up the new TV, I am disappointed by a number of aspects and wondered if it was just my TV, or if this is the nature of the HX800. I knew the viewing angles would be restrictive, it being a VA panel, but just how restrictive was a surprise. I can literally move to the next sofa cushion, and I can see the colour alter. Moving a couple of feet either way, and the picture is washed out. The black level and contrast is good, but it seems to have come at a cost that is too restrictive in my opinion. Is this the case for other users?

OTA HD pictures are better than what I expected. My in-laws have a 43" LG Nano Cell, and the OTA HD picture is poor, as is the build and sound quality of the tv, so I cannot complain about that, as the HX800 is much better. Blu-rays on the HX800 are upscaled well too, even home video filmed with my HD camcorder and dropped to Blu-ray look better than expected, as is the small amount of 4K footage filmed on my iPhone, but where I am really disappointed is viewing general 4k quality content from either Netflix or the small amount that is on iPlayer!
I have watched a number of programmes on Netflix, which say "Dolby Vision" and the quality is just plain awful. Every one of them looks "milky", with very little contrast and poor murky detail. If this is what Hollywood studios wishes us to see, (apparently that is what the TV boasts) then no wonder audience numbers are falling at the cinema! I have made a number of alterations to the settings to try and remedy this, but to be honest, it is far far worse than the upscaled Blu-ray Discs. I do understand that 4K will not look amazing on a 40" set, but for it to look worse than HD, is unbelievable. Other titles listed as UHD look marginally better, but still dull and flat. Is it the quality content from Netflix etc that is poor or the TV's interpretation? Can anyone else comment if this is their experince?

Before going for the HX800, I did look at the Philips 8505, which I think is also VA panel also. Does anyone have a view on this and its picture quality, as I may have to make a return of the HX800.

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:

RichWalk

Hi,

First of all get at least 50-100 hours on it (depending on your return window and free time) then have a look at something like 6 Underground on Neflix, if this still looks terrible then it could well be just the fact the set isn't that bright in HDR (around 310 Nits vs an OLED which can be double and more) Netflix is OK but nothing like a 4k blu-ray player or Apple TV and many DV shows are very dark even on pro level sets, HDR isn't all about massive brightness its more about extended colour gamut and more detail through the picture (near to far) then the treatment of specular highlights (really bright areas such as a light sabre in Star Wars) these should really pop.

if you have Sky Q then try some of their HLG (HDR) shows, nature ones should look good, if after this (assuming you've matched settings to decent reviews such as on here?) everything still looks awful its liekly the set isn't giving you what you thought it would.

Cheers

SIP

Hi,

First of all get at least 50-100 hours on it (depending on your return window and free time) then have a look at something like 6 Underground on Neflix, if this still looks terrible then it could well be just the fact the set isn't that bright in HDR (around 310 Nits vs an OLED which can be double and more) Netflix is OK but nothing like a 4k blu-ray player or Apple TV and many DV shows are very dark even on pro level sets, HDR isn't all about massive brightness its more about extended colour gamut and more detail through the picture (near to far) then the treatment of specular highlights (really bright areas such as a light sabre in Star Wars) these should really pop.

if you have Sky Q then try some of their HLG (HDR) shows, nature ones should look good, if after this (assuming you've matched settings to decent reviews such as on here?) everything still looks awful its liekly the set isn't giving you what you thought it would.

Cheers
Thank you for your reply. I tried the 6 Underground on Netflix, and WOW! Now that is what I expected Dolby Vision to look like! Why on earth does the rest of the content look so wish-washy? I must admit, that the tv came to life when I watched 6U and I saw how good it can perform. At least that has now put my mind to rest and know that it is not the tv, but poor content. Sadly, I do not have Sky, so I am unable to try content from them, but it has spurred me on to buy a 4K player, so thanks again. BTW, you mentioned 50 to 100 hours of use. Is that in order to for the screen to “ bed in” or is it some other more technical reason?

Many thanks 👍

newmovie

Novice Member
Thank you for your reply. I tried the 6 Underground on Netflix, and WOW! Now that is what I expected Dolby Vision to look like! Why on earth does the rest of the content look so wish-washy? I must admit, that the tv came to life when I watched 6U and I saw how good it can perform. At least that has now put my mind to rest and know that it is not the tv, but poor content. Sadly, I do not have Sky, so I am unable to try content from them, but it has spurred me on to buy a 4K player, so thanks again. BTW, you mentioned 50 to 100 hours of use. Is that in order to for the screen to “ bed in” or is it some other more technical reason?

Many thanks 👍
excuse me, i have a answer: but this panel have more reflective, you have noticed it? If the light comes from the side windows of your room, it produced more reflection?

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom