40GB primarily for Blu Ray

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by 5to1, Jan 22, 2008.

1. 5to1

5to1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Back in the UK and about to take the plunge for a 40GB primarily as a Blu-Ray player.

(For those of you who contributed to my should I buy a US machine thread, thanks for the advice. In the end I agreed with most of you and felt the region issue would probably bite me in the ass sooner or later).

Anyway, just have a few questions before I pick one up.

1) I haven't been following UK pricing too closely. Are there any expected price cuts due or likely? I know generally you get bundles or some price cuts around Jan/Feb since its slow for console makers. A few weeks wont make a big difference to me right now since I'll probably only watch a couple of films in that period anyway.

2) I've been reading the PS3 is currently one of the best BR players at the moment (and i'd eventually probably buy the console anyway, so a plus there :)). Its also supposed to be a handy uscaler. Are there any negatives/caveats I should be aware of? Any hidden extra's? (I already have a spare HDMI cable).

3) Was looking at maybe getting Assasins Creed/COD 4 on the 360. Any bundles which include these and are these good games on the PS3? To be honest I dont have too much time to game at the moment, just may consider it if the bundles are good value.

4) I have a Sony HTSF1000 surround sound system which doesn't accept audio over HDMI. Is there any issue with using Optical? The amp doesnt take HD Audio formats anyway, so the fact those cant be output over optical doesnt really matter right now.

5) From what I understand the 40GB loses some USB ports, SACD playback, backwards compatibility. Anything else I've missed? None of these really bother me, and since I'll probably stream/store media on my PC the smaller HD isnt a biggy either (can always upgrade myself if it becomes one).

Think that about covers it. I know its a little long winded, so thanks in advance for any help/advice you can offer.

2. 5to1

5to1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Mods you can merge with the other 40gb questions thread if you want.

3. Pincho Paxton

Pincho Paxton
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +635
    1/ Prices are unpredictable....

2/ Just differences between 60gb, and 40gb...

3/ ...... Dunno.

4/ No problem with optical really.

5/ Loses a few other ports.. SD card etc. Not much of a problem.

4. yellowduke

yellowduke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I set mine up with my Panny plasma two days ago. Picture over HDMI and audio to my old Marantz amp over optical. Picture with Resistance: Fall of Man was amazing for a video game. Blu Ray "300" blew me away with the detail and colours. The only annoying thing is the PS3 is a little slow when you want to change a setting. Definitely worth getting the Sony remote control. I had heard of there being a lip sync problem with audio over optical. Have to say i witnessed no such issue. The only real downside is the cost of Blu Ray films at the moment!

Jim :thumbsup: