1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

40gb HDD from argos

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by budlynch, Oct 23, 2005.

1. budlynch

budlynch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    venturer 40gb HDD

anyone have any reviews of this
    seems very cheap for a 40 gb player

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,762
    Things are normally cheap for a reason ;)

3. myepitome

myepitome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I second that! seems WAY too cheap for something of that size hdd!

4. samjpullen

samjpullen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Yea they don't have a big name brand on the front ;)

5. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    It's a bit of a brick size wise, but that could be where costs are saved in manufacturing.

6. stefoun

stefoun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Since Argos got 16 days return policy, I just thought I will get and see what it is worth....

While listening to it (at least it plays), I am giving you my first feeedback....

It seems to do what it says on the box... i.e. it is a MP3 player with effectivelly a 40gb HD in it.

The battery life is claimed to be 10-12Hrs (not tested), recharge in 3.5Hrs, comes with a very basic manual, works as DRM (compatible with WMP 10) or just USB drive (no software, recognised by XP as disk drive).
    It is pretty big but compared to my 1985ish Sony walkman it is about the same size.

It comes with a built-in microphone, I guess handy for recording lessons or anything else and there is a line-in option where the earphone jack becomes a line in.

I have not played with it much but the biggest let down seems to be the screen/big font size combinations (only 4 lines) and the interface with mimic an ipod one but with only 4 lines, it is proving very hard to navigate the amount of music you are likely to carry with a 40Gb HD.

Also, so far, transferring my music in folders it does not seems to recognise the MP3 tags... maybe you need to transfer it with no folder structure....will try... Still u can access the folder to choose your music but the Genre/Artist/Album/Title would be better if I can make it work.
    Sound quality seems ok (forget the included earbuds) but with my decent Sennheiser it sounds fine and you can adjust it with the built-in EQ.
    Finaly, play list on the go are possible but there is only one...Have not tried M3U playlist compatibility yet.

More info coming when I will have played with it a bit more...and when I decide if I want to keep for use in the car, for which with a price tag of sub £100 I am not worry to leave in the glove box.

Thanks

Stephane

7. Beancounter

Beancounter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Thanks Stephane, I was just about to post about this myself. With the current £10 gift voucher offer at Argos plus the 30 of Nectar points I have I could get one for the equivilent for £60 cash.

Not sure if you are familiar with the (older) Creative Zen, just curious to the size compared to that. For that sort of money, might be fine for the car.

8. stefoun

stefoun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly my thought.... for being exposed as it will be in the car, I should be good enough (will be doing more testing later on).

Compared to the older Zen I would say it is about the same size, maybe slightly wider but really nothing bigger that what I got used to carry around as a teenager (as big as a early tape Walkman and definitely smaller than a CD player)

I hope that it helps!

Stephane

9. ADENCOOL

ADENCOOL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Steph.

please could you post dimensions

- cheers

10. stefoun

stefoun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dimensions: 122 * 87 * 30mm

After doing further testing, the unit sync well with WMP 10 and Media Monkey.

Also I am managed to make Tags work (I guess it is just a bit fuzzy on the tag) so just updated all my mp3 tags to the same default format with The Godfather and it works.

Also worth noting that you can have as many folder depth, the unit will scan song all the songs whatever their locations.

Been playing around all night (5hrs now), transfering songs and the battery still show full (3/3 bars) so the 10-12 hours seems doable.

Thanks.

Stephane

11. budlynch

budlynch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Stephane

I was thinking along the same lines as you as getting it for the car

Like you said Argos 16 day no quibble returns policy might just get one myself for a play

sub 100 notes for a 40 GB player........

12. Beancounter

Beancounter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Stephane, any more comments about this as you've had it a few days now? I am passing an Argos this week, might be tempted to pick one up too :)

13. stefoun

stefoun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Sorry for not replying earlier... was actually on a long week-end abroad; i.e. a good time to try out this mp3 player in various conditions (car, plane, walking, etc...).

All in all I would say that it has lived up it to my expectations.

Before leaving, I loaded it up with about 30G worth of music (combination of mp3 varying between 128-192kbps) using Media Monkey.

I am going to summarize my findings below:

(+)
    - 40G (can load my all collection)
    - Can make up one (only one) play list on the go, but all that while listening to music
    - Can drill down using folders
    - Sound quality (without anything else to compare it with so far) it does sound decent to me with a good pair of earphone or in the car
    - Battery life is about 8-10hrs. I have not done a marathon test yet (doing it as we speak) but based on my use over the week-end, I used it for 6hrs in chunks of about 1-2hrs and the battery logo still showed 2/3 battery bars.
    - Does not seem to skip easily (or even at all) in either car / walking conditions
    - Loud enough
    - Sleep timer

(-)
    - Font size! why so big? it only displays 3 lines and about 15 char accross making it hard to pick music as you may only see the beginning of the title/album/artist
    - Sometimes locks on songs...(not very often, happened about 3 times over the whole wk-end) and just need to press stop/play to start the song again
    - Cannot drill Artist and then Album (only artist and then directly tracks)
    - Big but not so big that I cannot live with it
    - Hold button does not lock the On/off button resulting in few off when sliding the unit in the pocket
    - Cannot load-up & does not recognise M3u playlists
    - Cannot add the content of one full directory into play list, only song by song

So far, and for the price this is probably a very good deal for ppl wanting a large capacity but not willing to pay twice the price for a branded model or ppl like me that want a cheap unit that can stay in the car and not risk having it stolen (looking so much like a old walkman, I am sure a thief would not even steal it).

I am running more tests today (sound quality/battery life) to decide whether I want to keep it or not.

Thanks.
    Stephane

14. stefoun

stefoun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just giving you the result of my testing yesterday.

Audio test:-
    Having not many other mp3 available, I ran a test with my wife Creative Muvo II 1.5Gb with a decent pair of Sennheiser headphones. Both player configured with no EQ and using same 3 songs (classic, jazz, rock)
    From what I could hear (I am not an audiophile) the Creative was clearer on the treble side but the Venturer was slightly more bassy. Mediums were about on par.
    I would say the creative sound was a bit more to my liking but there was not much to separate them.

Battery test:-
    Ran the test using mixed mp3 bitrate, mix of normal playback and random all playback, with volume changes, back and forward actions, on/off, etc....
    Started the test @ 6h30 am and it was still playing when I went to bed... giving a play time of so far 16h15. At this stage the battery was showing still 1/3 bars. I will continue the test tonight to see how much juice it has left...
    Overall an impressive performance considering the manual states 8-10hrs battery if I recall correctly; also very much in line with the ipod of this world.

Tks.
    Stephane

15. stefoun

stefoun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Final result from the battery test... 19h18min

Was happy to see the unit finally switch off.

Bearing in mind all my previous comments, I think I am probably going to keep it for the car.

It has really decent battery life, really decent size HD, with clever folder organisation got around the limitation in navigations, size is not an issue for car use, sound is ok & finally so-so cheap compared to anything else of this capacity.

Any more questions, let me know.

Tks.
    Stephane

16. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,821
    Have you still got this?

I just got it and might have a problem. I can transfer files with the psu plugged in to power it. If I disconnect the psu, the unit keeps turning itself off every now and then. It makes transferring files a nightmare.

Is it supposed to receive power from the USB? After a while, the battery run out. It looks like it was trying to operate on the battery even though it on USB.

17. johnny70

johnny70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Got one of these for the other half, for transfering her audio cd's for uni onto it. Recently it got a system error on it, bugger, took it back to argos they swapped it out, got the new one home, stuck it on charge, nothing happened, no charge, no switch one, the thing is dead in the water.

Will i be able to take back to Argos for a refund, bought in Jan 06

Regards

JOHNNY

18. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Sorry to dig this up again, but was looking in Argos sale catalogue and these are now 49.99! Seem to not to be bad for the price, will prob get one for when I am riding my bike!

19. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    Looks cool!
    I was thinking to get one, and also get a 2.0 speaker set.Also 3 year replacement cover for £9.99, does that mean if it stops working they will replace with another 40GB player? LOL! Anyone know what that 3 year covers, because I'm sure that not too many HDD MP3 players last too long.

20. jc5

jc5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought one for 50 quid in argos.

All stefane says i agree with, not bothered with finding files or using playlists as i usually listen to full albums.

My main purpose is storage.

if you are using it for the car dont leave it in the car during the winter or keepp it near vents (esp if using AC) as one of the big failings of HDD is condensation.

Seriously thinking about buying another one and have just placed reservation as they had only 4 left when i bought it this morning.

Siae is about the same as 2 packets of benson and hedges cigarettes put side by side and from memory is identical to the size of a walkman (cassette player)

Doesnt seem to be able to play when charging, only criticism so far sure i will find more...

Thaks

21. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    *Get's his ciggarettes packets out*

*Notices he doesn't smoke*

22. newo999

newo999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought this audio player and i have had problems with gettin my pc to recognise it....
    I follow the instructions : plug it in the USB post and such and because i have windows xp pro sp2 i dont need to use to cd, so i dont..
    And my computer doesnt recognise the hardware! No windows or anything appear or any notices to say that i have hardware waiting to be installed.

I have put the mp3 player to recharge now in case the problem might be that it aint charged. If anyone could help me please reply cuz i didnt ask for the 3 year warranty (i went to Argos with only the exact money..)

23. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,821
    It's got to be fully charged first. It doesn't get enough power from the USB so it still uses battery power when on the computer.