40ft HDMI cable recommendations for in-ceiling install ?

ahmadka

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I need some HDMI cable recommendations for an in-ceiling installation in my Home Theater room. The length needs to be about 25 ~ 35 ft, but I'm probably going to get a 40 ft cable just to cater for some unexpected length additions.

I want a cable that's as future proof as possible, so that I don't have to replace the cable for at least for 4-6 years. So it should readily support things like 4K, 3D 4K, Ethernet channel, ARC, etc, even though I'm currently not using any of these technologies.

I found a few potential cables at Monoprice, but don't know which to get:

40ft 24AWG CL2 Standard HDMI® Cable With Ethernet - Black - Monoprice.com
40ft 22AWG CL2 Standard HDMI® Cable With Ethernet - Black - Monoprice.com
40ft High Speed HDMI® Cable w/ RedMere® Technology - Monoprice.com
40ft Slim Series CL2 High Speed HDMI® Cable w/ RedMere® Technology - Monoprice.com

Similar to the second product above, I bought a 22AWG 35ft HDMI Cable from Monoprice a few years ago. It still works fine, but sometimes when resolution/channel changes, the signal goes dead and starts transmitting static - I then have to trigger another resolution/channel change (e.g. switch AVR input) to get it back. I don't know if this is an isolated issue with the cable I have, or if its because of some other reason.

Also, will I need a signal booster ?

None of the cables you link to meets your requirements - any of them may work as required with your current kit but don't have the electronics/chips to deal with HDCP 2.2 so will be a problem when high value 2160p (4K) 60Hz content becomes available from the likes of a 'next gen' 4K UHD BD Player when they arrive later in 2015.

CAT6 and or an empty conduit is your 'future proofing'.

Joe

None of the cables you link to meets your requirements - any of them may work as required with your current kit but don't have the electronics/chips to deal with HDCP 2.2 so will be a problem when high value 2160p (4K) 60Hz content becomes available from the likes of a 'next gen' 4K UHD BD Player when they arrive later in 2015.

Joe

You mean run an Ethernet cable from AVR to Projector ... for video ? :S

How does that work ?

You use an HDMI over CAT extender - ideally a unit which utilises HDBT.

See - Media Factory - Octava HD70STP-EX, HDBaseT HDMI + IR + RS232 over single
CAT6 Extender

In the 'Pro' market many Projectors are beginning to appear which include the HDBT Receiver and you simply plug in the RJ45 connector.

Long term if the 'Extender' becomes 'obsolete' you swap them out for a 'latest' spec unit and continue to use the CAT6 cable.

Joe

Why don't the electronics manufacturers develop HDMI optical ports utilising telco standards? With simple 1310nm LED transmitters and multimode fibre you can tx/rx over a few hundred metres. The tech exists, but of course there is no commercial reason to make life easy and futureproof for us consumers ! ( I have just answered my own question !:rotfl::laugh::D)

What percentage of 'connected via HDMI' devices require anything longer than 2m?

Joe

^ good point !! :)

Joe

Joe, I just re-read what you wrote above and I dont understand what you mean - "None of the cables you link to meets your requirements - any of them may work as required with your current kit but don't have the electronics/chips to deal with HDCP 2.2 " THis makes no sense to me. How does a dumb HDMI cable have electronics and chips in it? Please explain !

Many thanks

James :)

Active cables (RedMere or otherwise) include a signal processing chip - the chip will cater for whatever Feature set is pertinent/catered for at the time the chip and cable assembly are initially designed/manufactured.

Active cables are not upgradeable - once you hit there Feature set limitation you have to replace the cable with something which does support the latest Features.

CAT6 cable plus active Extenders (which can be easily replaced) are often a better option.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom