40D - My review - Now have one.

I nearly bought one a few minutes ago from Jessops, but they've closed my local store so I'd have to drive to either Nottingham/Sheffield/Newark/Chesterfield to pick it up in store tomorrow. If I could've walked to Mansfield in the morning and picked one up I'd be £800 worse off now :laugh:

You need to stop reading about it. Stay away from any thread that has 40D in the title. Or go get one and join in all the fun.
:smashin:
I think well have to close it..now!:devil:
Lovely Camera . nice to see you back Pete:smashin:

I'm buying one tomorrow.

At least, I hope he'll have kept it for me like he said. I wasn't 100% until later this evening, I said I'd come back in the morning when he had charged the battery for me and let me play with it a bit.

I'm paying 1600 euros for the kit with the 17-85mm IS USM lens, so about 1100 pounds. Is that alright?

I've put my 350d up for sale along with some other bits in the classifieds

But I don't have money to buy the 40D until everything is sold so that should keep me on my toes.

Yer since the 40D was announced I've been pretty tempted. I've only had the 350D for around a year now but I think its worth it in terms of an upgrade. (spot me trying to convince myself) Am finding the 350D a little small when shooting in full manual so was about to buy the battery grip - now may not need to (or ill just class it as an £800 battery grip :devil:)

Gonna have a wonder into Jessops later today - wonder do they do trade in against my 350D ;)

Had a quick look on ebay and it would seem the 350D with kit lens is selling for around £350ish ... interesting ..

Oh dear ... cheers Pete !

Nige

I'm going to keep my 350D and use that with a landscape lens on whilst the 40D will have my 70-300 for the usual bird and wildlife shots......... that's if and when I do get a 40D :)

Yer since the 40D was announced I've been pretty tempted. I've only had the 350D for around a year now but I think its worth it in terms of an upgrade. (spot me trying to convince myself) Am finding the 350D a little small when shooting in full manual so was about to buy the battery grip - now may not need to (or ill just class it as an £800 battery grip :devil:)

From my limited handling with the 40D, and my own experience with the 350d+grip they are slightly different. The 40D definitely fills your hands better, but it still feels 'short', like the bottom of your hand sits around the bottom corner of the camera.

I think the 40D could do with a grip too (not to mention having the portrait controls) but I'll definitely try and avoid it for a while.

From my limited handling with the 40D, and my own experience with the 350d+grip they are slightly different. The 40D definitely fills your hands better, but it still feels 'short', like the bottom of your hand sits around the bottom corner of the camera.

I think the 40D could do with a grip too (not to mention having the portrait controls) but I'll definitely try and avoid it for a while.

I totally agree there .

The 350D+grip feels more substantial in some way than a 30/40D on its own . However you will probably not miss the grip on a 30/40D as much as you would on a 350D
The 40D ( same dimensions as 30D which I have) is a worthy upgrade in virtually every way.

I guess coming from a 30D.. it is far more difficult to justify a 40D:rolleyes:!

just been down to Jessops in town to have a hold .. very nice, I agree with whats been said above - its not as filling as I thought it would be but defo a massive step up from the 350 (without grip)

Once again however Jessops manage to pee me off - the guy in the shop didnt know hardly anything abotu the camera and instead of just coming clean he kept trying to offer up excuses and then try something different .. grrr..

So Pete (or anyone who has a 40D) .. when shooting in manual model, how the heck do you adjust the Appeture? I could do the shutter and the focus points but could not for the life of me work out how to change the appeuture..

I felt quite good actually walking out WITHOUT buying one .. think I'm going to hold on just a wee bit longer ...

Nige

So Pete (or anyone who has a 40D) .. when shooting in manual model, how the heck do you adjust the Appeture? I could do the shutter and the focus points but could not for the life of me work out how to change the appeuture..

I felt quite good actually walking out WITHOUT buying one .. think I'm going to hold on just a wee bit longer ...

Nige

Not particularly intuitive. There's a 3rd position on the on/off switch - you need to flick it round to that then aperture can be selected with the Quick Control Dial. This had me stumped at first when I got the camera.:rolleyes:

had a look at one today in jessops. it was very very nice. build felt alot better than my 400D. had a play with it with the 17-55 lens on - WOW

the guy was desperate to sell me one. £786, with 300 free prints and the 3 year warranty. had to sadly decline!

no way i can afford one at the minute. might be having to put all my kit up for sale :rolleyes:

I totally agree there .

The 40D ( same dimensions as 30D which I have) is a worthy upgrade in virtually every way.

IIRC the 40D is larger than the 30D. Think I read that on dpreview, they had side by side photos of the 2.

just been down to Jessops in town to have a hold .. very nice, I agree with whats been said above - its not as filling as I thought it would be but defo a massive step up from the 350 (without grip)

Once again however Jessops manage to pee me off - the guy in the shop didnt know hardly anything abotu the camera and instead of just coming clean he kept trying to offer up excuses and then try something different .. grrr..

Nige

Nigel
In M mode you use the wheel on the top to change shutter speed and the big wheel on the back to adjust the apature. Its a good system as you can use your thumb to do this at the same time you use your finger on the top wheel. You also use this wheel to adjust EC. One thing to remember is the on/off switch has two ON positions and you need to move it all the way to enable the wheel on the back. Mid way the wheel wont do anything.

I believe the 40D is only about 2mm bigger than the 30D but its shape is different. I much prefer the 40D. It feel more solid in my hand.

Not particularly intuitive. There's a 3rd position on the on/off switch - you need to flick it round to that then aperture can be selected with the Quick Control Dial. This had me stumped at first when I got the camera.:rolleyes:

All the 1D style cameras have this so it's good Canon are getting some consistency.

who has the best price on this? Most seem to be about £799 body only, are any significantly less than that?

Do you see any significant downward movement in price in the next couple of months?

who has the best price on this? Most seem to be about £799 body only, are any significantly less than that?

Do you see any significant downward movement in price in the next couple of months?

check here

prices have already come down since the launch so i'd expect them to come down again in the next few months. maybe not much but every little helps!!

incedently when i was in jessops the other day it was £786 inc the 3 year warranty. the guy said he thought the promotion had stopped but they were still giving it out if people haggled

what a great link!

Do you think it'll drop to below £700 anytime before Christmas? If not then £750ish seems a good price.

The price in-store at Jessops has now dropped to show the £786 figure (Reading today).

I have my 40D a few weeks now, and think it's just brilliant. I'm still getting used to all the functions and settings. It is a major upgrade from my 20D.

The best features - large screen, large buffer, more fps, more custom functions, great ISO control ... ah, there are just so many great things about the camera.

Well worth the price. Mind you, I bought mine in HK (ebay kea-photo).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom