400ddr into 333ddr

niccam

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi can you put a 3200 400ddr into a 2700 333ddr slot .Thank you for any info
Cheers :)

yes, 400 is only the maximum speed it's rated to run at and it should happily run at any speed up to that.

Just to extend the question a bit - can you mix memory sticks of different speeds, such as 400 & 333?

If so, will they just run at the speed of the slower stick?

Cheers, Nick

Whether mixing DIMMs works depends on your mboard and BIOS version, hard to predict before trying it. Speed will probably drop to match the slowest DIMM in all configurations.

In principle different speed RAM in separate channels should just work, in practice some boards will only work reliably (or at all) with identical DIMM's in all occupied sockets.

For dual channel, again it might work - I have an old VIA based board that happily uses 512 + 2x256mb DIMMs in dual channel mode - but only exactly matched DIMM is guaranteed to work. Assume it won't work.

You may need to manually set RAM timings in a mixed system to make it stable, test thoroughly if you go ahead.

Hi, went ahead and bought 3200 400ddr and have both a 2700 333ddr and a 3200 400ddr running in same computer for about 2 weeks and so far no problems Thanks :thumbsup:

I've just installed 2x1Gb ddr2 667 onto a desktop that had 2x512mb ddr2 333. It works fine but is it worth leaving the existing 1gb in? as I take it the 3Gb will be running at 333, would it be quicker with 2Gb at 667?

I've just installed 2x1Gb ddr2 667 onto a desktop that had 2x512mb ddr2 333. It works fine but is it worth leaving the existing 1gb in? as I take it the 3Gb will be running at 333, would it be quicker with 2Gb at 667?

DDR2-333 is very slow, are you sure you haven't read off the actual clockspeed rather than the marketing one? (DDR2 667 actually runs at 333Mhz, but some bright spark decided to claim it was double that as it's Double Data Rate memory)

Ohh, I think your right. I used cpuz to check which RAM was installed and then the marketing spiel off the box of the new RAM. The machine is running much better now so I guess all's well.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom