400d > 30d?

stebbo2

Novice Member
I currently have a 400D and battery grip, and I have got the chance to upgrade to a 30D.

I can get a mint 30D on it's own for £400, or with a LowePro rucksack, all the charger and cables etc, a spare battery, a 1GB and 512MB CF card and a remote shutter release, for £450.

I would sell my 400D and battery grip, and most of the extras that come with the 30D as I have it all covered already.

Is it a worthy upgrade? Basically, I am thinking I can sell my old gear and extras for at least the cost of the £450 30D.

I would like a 40D, but lightly out of my range at the moment.

senu

Distinguished Member
The 400D unlike the 30D has a 10Mp sensor , and the Sensor cleaning It is smaller too:D

It shares with the 30Ds its 9 point AF system and 2.5" LCD ( the 400Ds is brighter but it is also used as a status LCD .
They both have the Digic II image procesor
On paper the 30D doesnt seem like an upgrade

The 30D is much faster in use ( bigger buffer) and although the electronics are similar seems to have better AF
Its sensor is slightly larger than the 400Ds , as such the fewer photosites seem to get a sharper " per pixel" image
The 5fps you may not need nor the spot exposure monitoring but it really is fast

As an aside the 40D is said to have a similar 10Mp to 400D but if the comparison of the 350Ds 8Mp and 30Ds 8.2Mp is anything to go by, it will be better implemented
The 30Ds low light ability and lower noise characteristics are much better than the 400Ds

Paper specs and matter of factly opinions only tell half the story. I certainly rate it as a much better camera if only because of the ease with which you can access the settings ( it has a thunbwheel, big wheel and joystick!)
Its battery also lasts longer!
HTH:thumbsup:

Tobers

Yes! That's a no-brainer to me. Your cost to change will be minimal and you'll have a much more "grown up" camera. You'll find that your transition to a 5D will be much easier once you've got used to the 30D's controls too :devil:

stebbo2

Novice Member
Hehe, thanks for the info guys. Looks like I might have to bite the bullet and go for it. I would love a 40D, perhaps I go up now, and aim to have the cash to go up again early next year.

:)

dave_bass5

Agree with the others. I went from a 400D to a 30D and dont regret it at all.
I would say maybe wait a few weeks as with the 40D out this week there will be a lot of 30D's on sale very soon.
IMHO of course.

stebbo2

Novice Member
Right, I'm sold on the new body idea for sure. And, as I could have predicted, I have found a well priced 40D (£650), and got the urge.

I'm going to sleep on this, it will be one of the two, just.... which one...

dave_bass5

Right, I'm sold on the new body idea for sure. And, as I could have predicted, I have found a well priced 40D (£650), and got the urge.

WOW, £650 is a good price. Is that from the UK or HK?
As it happens im going to sell my 30D to help fund a 40D but im going to wait a while until the reviews come out.

HMHB

Distinguished Member

Where have you seen the 40D for that price ?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom