4000£ to spend but on what?

G

godi32

Hello everybody,

I want to buy a video projector but I really could use some advise. I've read almost every article and magazine you could possibly find on the internet and it's getting more and more confusing. What do you all advice me to buy at this moment for this budget? The projector would be 157 inches from the screen. Is the projector central website trustworthy?

Thank you in advance,

Dirk Goris
Belgium

------------------

Dirk ,
I think you're going to get a Biased answer.
One Question at a time might be a better bet.
Its been said many times before - Go and have a look! Its your decicion at the end of the day, and that's what counts. If then you can't decide - Ask!
Rob.

Dirk,

Will the projector be in a dedicated room?

Will you have complete light control in the room?

The answers to these two questions will help determine whether you want to go CRT or digital.

What I did was compile a list of requirements (including light conditions, picture size/quality, useability) and discussed them with a dealer before arranging a demo of a selection of projectors with him.

Cheers,
Liam

------------------
"Do you hear that, Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability."

[This message has been edited by lmccauley (edited 12-03-2001).]

Forget the projector for now and buy a tag dvd player - you won't regret it
smile.gif

I spent my £4000 on a Sony VPL-VW10HT. That was 6 months ago and 450 hours' use ago. Actually it was £4150. With the benefit of hindsight....

I would do exactly the same thing again.

I think this machine is nothing short of magnificent.

HOWEVER - different people have different visual acuity and differing personal priorities. So my choice would not necessarily be what others here would choose (thinking especially, but not exclusively, of a recently dismissed member of this forum).

So, my (as impartial as I can make it) advice is:

1) Learn something about the technologies involved, so that
2) You can write your own shortlist based on my, and others' opinions and
3) Go see as many different TYPES of device that you can so that you can
4) Gain an understanding of what to expect when you are no longer in the demo room and the thing is unpacked and screwed to your ceiling and, based on that understanding
5) Narrow down your shortlist to a particular technology (ie CRT, DLP or LCD) and eventually
6) Decide what to buy, for yourself.

If you were me (and you obviously aren't) the Sony would be perfect.

Where's Charles?
smile.gif
I'm waiting for the ellie suggestion.
smile.gif

OK, I am going to post the Ellie reply. I have an Ellie, 5 months now. A CRT projector is fixed and cannot move and should be only considered if you hoist this fact in fully. The room will be your cinema. If that is the case then I believe the Ellie will stand up amongst the best of the projectors in this price area. If you had £10000 I would still recommend the Ellie and a bloody good holiday in the US or Bali to properly spend the rest of your hard earned cash. Try the Ellie,but also try others. If you are spending £4000, I suggest setting £150 aside to enable you to travel around the country to properly view any projector you are interested in and choose on personal choice alone. Otherwise you will always wonder if another one may have been better. At the end of the day, the one you choose will bring you countless hours of amazing home theatre and if you have 4 young children like me, hours of peace and quiet whilst they are watching "Rocky and Bullwinkle" for the fiftieth time.

I'd definitely go digital if your on a budget, and if you are handy with computers then a HCPC (see forum)will give you a better image per pound than any other. The Davis line of projectors based on the now discontined DL450 have the best reputation as other forums demontrate. I've seen alot of very bad digital projector setups so you need to buy very carefully.

A Davis DL450 or DLS8 shouldn't cost more that £2500 and another £1000 will buy the computer you need. If you don't want to use a computer then a Cinema One is probably your best bet at £4000. The Sony 10HT is good but has appaling black levels which can only be improved by spending lots on a good screen. If you can spend a little more than the new Seleco HT200 really rocks on its own or with a PC.

I personally think that my DL450 and HCPC look as good as anything I've seen up to £5K including the Sony.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom