40" TV recommendations please

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Samsung UE40H5500 from 2014 has developed a fault today where it looks like someone shining a torch right on the screen.

Unfortunately, my budget on another TV is £350 max so not a lot.

My requirements are 40" screen, WiFi, Freeview HD, 3 HDMI's, USB media playback and a optical audio output. I a limitied to the size due to space it will go in. I don't think 43" will fit

The only thing I can see is the JVC LTAC790 for £250 and and a LT-40CF700 Amazon Fire TV one for £300 at Currys . They seems too cheap. I don't have Amazon prime but might be useful for future.

Check the width of your TV, I recently replaced my parents 40” Samsung with new 43” Samsung, same width due to much thinner bezel.

JVC rebadged no name so not much good

I’ve one of these in 32” in bedroom, v good for the money, has all the catch up apps. £299 from Hughes or Argos

This is why I have a limit on size. I use a B&M stand and swivel it depending whether I am using the computer or sitting in a chair.

I have a look at the link thanks. - Looks like too big. I have 53cm high and 90cm width.

Sonic on TV.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately you’ll maybe stuck with a poor rebadge unless you go 32”.
May not matter for Sonic the hedgehog tho!!

I had to downscale from a projector so I am using it for all my blu rays and use a Humax recorder on it. I don't think I can go back down to 32".

I am trying to ignore the spot. It is worst on white.bright backgrounds. I moved 2 years ago and it also caused black bits at the bottom. They have not got worse.

white spot.jpg

Only option really nowadays is a 40" Panasonic HX800 (also sold as HX802).
Check here:

Sometimes they have some refurbs for sale of that model that may be closer to your budget.

Other TVs tend to be sold at 43" and above, so you can't really find a decent TV otherwise that's 40".

There's barely any difference between all the models. The most important is UN7300 and above come with the smart remote:

If you want similar kind of picture quality to your Samsung you will be better off avoid LG and looking at either Samsung, Hisense or TCL for a 43" TV. Your previous TV uses a VA type panel, whilst LG are using IPS.

All best buys are here:

2020 LG models don't come with Freeview play so are missing a few UK catch up apps.

2021 models (you'll notice none in the guide) are currently overpriced, and tend not to be good value. Although stock is now low on a lot of 2020 models so you may have no option other than to spend more money this time of year.

I find looking at TV's the pages never mention what panel they use just LED, OLED.

I know someone with a Panasonic 50HX800 (not seen it) but their prices are just silly. 40" is £480. If it was £100 less, than I would be doing a order.

Looking at youtube, it does look my problem may be the lense/diffuser coming loose of a LED whihc creates a the white spot. I am now wondering if getting it repaired might be the solution.

Yes, the HX800 prices are high, there's also the HX802 which is the same model.
But that's why I linked the refurb thread, seen some on there in the past that aren't bad value if you're open to refurbs.

Buying new its hard to beat Hisense models. If you are put off by their basic smart TV you can also buy 43" models using Roku in Argos.

I had disegarded Hisense for some reason. The 40" is only 2 HDMI so that's out but he 43" at £329 does have 3. What makes them good? I see Currys has the 7300 whereas Richer Sounds with 6 years warranty has the 7100 but spec looks the same.

I had a look at the Roku versions. I ahve not used it but the remote put me off, very basic. I though if something had freeview play then it would have at least the apps for ITV and CH4. My Samsung has removed most of the apps over the years. Only Youtube is really usable now.

I am thinking of upgrading my blu ray player before they disappear but not getting into UltraHD, the Sony 6700 I like the look off does have 4K upscaling.

Last edited:
The Roku remotes are fantastic in my opinion. One of, if not the best smart TV systems and remote. The only thing is its small, so not well suited for big hands. It also doesn't have specific channel numbers or anything if you're using the built in tuner.

You can see the differences at Hisense UK | For your home, nothing makes more sense. the TVs in the same series all have the same picture quality but the features such as the sound DSP are different. The Roku models of course run a different OS, but picture quality is the same.

What makes Hisense so good? They are cheaper than the competition and offer picture quality that's just as good. No TV you can buy at this size is going to be fantastic, so its best to spend as little money as possible.

ANy opinions on this cheaper LG 43LM6300PLA ? It isn't 4K but that does not bother me but has all the same spec as the more expensice 7306. I tried to find something on youtube but nothing in English.

edit - Not in stock and not available for delivery.

Last edited:
M is 2019
N 2020
P 2021

Typically they don't release HD models each year like they do with 4k TVs, in fact it wouldn't surprise me if they don't release them at all any more.

The HD models aren't really any worse than the bottom tier UHD ones though.

ANy opinions on this cheaper LG 43LM6300PLA ? It isn't 4K but that does not bother me but has all the same spec as the more expensice 7306. I tried to find something on youtube but nothing in English.

edit - Not in stock and not available for delivery.
Hughes have it, good TV. I have the 32” (think I said earlier but you said the 43” too big)

LG 43UP75006 is this years model but apparently reduced in price across most stores already. For example Richer Sounds here for £369.

Cheaper at Costco if you have membership.

Seems to be a LG led promotion, hence the reduction across most retailers.

@Dodgexander does this make it a really good value 2021 TV finally? Especially considering the 2020 model 43UN73006 is more expensive.

Last edited:
LG 43UP75006 is this years model but apparently reduced in price across most stores already. For example Richer Sounds here for £369.

Cheaper at Costco if you have membership.

Seems to be a LG led promotion, hence the reduction across most retailers.

@Dodgexander does this make it a really good value 2021 TV finally? Especially considering the 2020 model 43UN73006 is more expensive.

Its not bad, especially this time of year. Its not the replacement for the UN7300 though, that would be the UN7700 which comes with the magic remote.
If you're happy with the standard remote instead, and you want to buy a newer model to get support longer, or perhaps because you want all UK catch up apps the UP7500 is okay, at most it will go down to 300-320.

Got a 2nd white spot now. Rotating the TV on my stand definitely makes the spots appear.

Any opinions on this cheap LG 43LM6300 for £300. It is not 4K but I don't need it. It has the 3 HDMI, optical out and bluetooth is a nice bonus that I want. I think it is a 2019 model.

My main concern with the TV is how blu rays and the Humax Freeview HD DVR look. I play media video and audio files by USB on the Samsung (MP4, MKV mainly)

This links shows it is a VA panel

Argos has been out of stock but now back in stock for collection (not delivery)

Last edited:
Think LG 43s are IPS.
I have the 32” in bedroom, perfectly adequate

I'm looking at a 43" for the playroom/office and am kind of tempted by the new TCL Roku 43RP620K TV. I think it is only being sold by Currys for the time being though:

I'm looking at a 43" for the playroom/office and am kind of tempted by the new TCL Roku 43RP620K TV. I think it is only being sold by Currys for the time being though:

I saw that but need 3 HDMI's.

I still would rather have a 40" to make sure it fits in the space I have.

That LG should be IPS, be surprised if its VA. Displayspecifications aren't always accurate.

But really its not any worse than their UHD models at the same size. The main drawback being its a 2019 model so a couple of years out of date, the main pro being its HD, so poorer quality content will be displayed more sharply.

If you want 40" look at the 40" Panasonic models. They will be VA like your current TV. The Panasonic outlet on eBay you can sometimes get good deals on them:

Samsung used to do 40" but now their newer models refresh each year at 43" and larger. You may find other 40" TVs but they will be either UPC or Vestel badges...UPC are the company that own Sharp now, and Vestel are the company that produces TVs from most supermarket brands like JVC, Toshiba etc. These are all bottom level TVs, but depending on your expectations you may be happy with them.

There's of course the age old argument to be made that at smaller sizes you aren't going to get something fantastic no matter what you buy, so if there's something cheap from a no-name and 40" like you want, then its not neccesarily bad going for it..just keep your expectations low, especially when it comes to things like firmware bugs and picture processing.

OK, I have been looking at the hisense brand again. Spending £500 is just not going to be possible..

I found this 2021 Hisense AT £380. It might sound silly, but I like how all the connectors are on side at the back. Am I right from reading post 9 above, Hisense have VA panels? As long as I get a good picture with TV and 1080p Blu Ray / media files, I will be happy.

It does have a weird 200 x 300 vesa so need to find out whether my stand works with it. I did read online the stand goes up to 400 x 400.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom