40" TV needed - TCL or Hisense (or other)

jtv

Novice Member
I'm in the market for a 40" TV to replace my mother's current 28" CRT (i.e. almost anything will be an improvement!).

Due to its intended location, she'd prefer not to go above 40". In addition, it will need to have a VESA mount, so we can use a third party pedestal (as the TV stand it will go on is only 26-28" wide). I realise due to the size limitations we're severely restricted for choice (and to budget models) here, but would still like to get the best that I can for her.

The requirements (in order of importance) are:
  • easy to use
  • able to act as PVR (with USB hard disk is fine)
  • able to access free online streaming services (iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4)
  • ability to use other subscription services (Netflix, Prime Video)
  • responsive
  • slim bezel/nice-ish to look at
  • narrow base < 26" (would avoid needing to buy a third party pedestal stand)

I suppose picture and audio quality should go somewhere in there too!

It looks like I'm limited to either the TCL 40RS520K (Roku) or the HISENSE 40A4GTUK (Vidaa U5), both currently at £279.

Is one better than the other? Does either have a must-have feature that the other doesn't? Are there any makes/models others I should consider?

Dodgexander

I'm not sure you can schedule recordings on either, but the Roku model should have timeshift for pausing TV.

Ease of use and app choice will be a lot better on the Roku, although the Hisense running Vidaa also has all the apps you mention.

Picture quality its hard to know which will be better, so can't really make any comparisons there.

Because of HDR, you'll want to keep viewing on Netflix non-premium and choos HD only programs on Amazon to avoid the problems associated with using HDR on cheaper TVs.

Luminance Leon

Standard Member
There's also two Panasonic 40" models:
TX40JX850B and TX40JX800B. Both are 4K HDR (ish) but the 850 model might have the preferable stand.
Both are probably well overpriced at twice that of those you list above.

For £25 or so there looks to be a reasonable amount of stands around, I personally wouldn't limit choice by that criteria.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom