40" TV for visually impaired daughter?

myatix

Standard Member
Hi All,

I have a daughter with a sever sight impairment. (She can only see detail reasonably 30-50cm from the screen).
I am looking for a 40 inch TV for her room as a monitor for both gaming and TV ideally with 4K HDR screen that is very sharp close up. I have been looking at the Panasonic HX800 but am worried about screen reflection, I have also looked at the Samsung Q60T, but have heard that the Samsung isn't very sharp close up???
Do you have any other good suggestions that are around the same price point or cheaper?
Ideally with HDMI 2.1 as she is very into her gaming...(I know the HX800 is only 2.0)
I have an LG65 OLED C9 and I love it... If you could get this in a 40" I would probably choose that but you cant...

Any assistance and recommendations would be highly appreciated.

johnr2110

Hi All,

I have a daughter with a sever sight impairment. (She can only see detail reasonably 30-50cm from the screen).
I am looking for a 40 inch TV for her room as a monitor for both gaming and TV ideally with 4K HDR screen that is very sharp close up. I have been looking at the Panasonic HX800 but am worried about screen reflection, I have also looked at the Samsung Q60T, but have heard that the Samsung isn't very sharp close up???
Do you have any other good suggestions that are around the same price point or cheaper?
Ideally with HDMI 2.1 as she is very into her gaming...(I know the HX800 is only 2.0)
I have an LG65 OLED C9 and I love it... If you could get this in a 40" I would probably choose that but you cant...

Any assistance and recommendations would be highly appreciated.
The CX comes in a 48inch.

Dodgexander

Try to go for a bigger, higher quality TV if you can. HDR places demands on TVs now that smaller/budget models cannot reach.

Something like the Sony 49XH9505 or a 48" OLED like the LG CX would be fantastic, and good all round TVs.

Anything less is fine for SDR usage, but its becoming harder and harder to recommend TVs based on that alone when HDR is becoming more and more popular.

Getting a larger/higher end TV also may have its advantages for your daughter. The larger the TV the more detail can be seen when using a higher quality source, and larger TVs also cope with reflections better since they can get brighter.

Can you fit a 48 or 49" TV?

myatix

Standard Member
Hi Dodgexander,

Thank you very much for the reply! :)The issue here is that she will be using the TV in her bedroom as a combination of TV and Monitor for her PC. I can see what you are saying about the size of the TV but unfortunately this just isn't possible.
The other thing is that by making the screen larger doesn't mean she can move further away... She needs to physically be within 30-40cm to see sharper edges on things otherwise they get very blurry. Using a 48-49" TV is going to be very difficult when using the screen as a monitor as she would literally need to move backwards and forwards across such a large screen to see the details.
It really surprises me that there isn't a larger market for smaller TV's especially when it comes to gaming etc etc...
Perhaps I need to look at high quality monitors rather than TV's and then try to see if I can hook an AppleTV up to a monitor in someway?

Dodgexander

Hi Dodgexander,

Thank you very much for the reply! :)The issue here is that she will be using the TV in her bedroom as a combination of TV and Monitor for her PC. I can see what you are saying about the size of the TV but unfortunately this just isn't possible.
The other thing is that by making the screen larger doesn't mean she can move further away... She needs to physically be within 30-40cm to see sharper edges on things otherwise they get very blurry. Using a 48-49" TV is going to be very difficult when using the screen as a monitor as she would literally need to move backwards and forwards across such a large screen to see the details.
It really surprises me that there isn't a larger market for smaller TV's especially when it comes to gaming etc etc...
Perhaps I need to look at high quality monitors rather than TV's and then try to see if I can hook an AppleTV up to a monitor in someway?
Then unfortunately your options are limited to only bottom range models with next to no HDR capabilities. They can accept the signal, but will not display it properly. Also, sadly no smaller TVs have HDMI 2.1 variable refresh rate support. Most are 60hz TVs with HDMI 2.0 boards with some 2.1 features bolted on like ALLM.

For close-up desk usage I'd be looking at 43" models from LG or Sony using IPS panels. The LG 43UN7300 would be best value.

Can't really comment much on the monitor front, most monitors tend to have the same drawbacks as low end TVs with poor HDR performance. They will have high refresh rate support unlike TVs though.

desinho

In tv territory, Philips tv's like the 78x5 and 85x5 models have true RGB panels (RGB vs BGR Subpixel Layout - What's The Difference? [Simple]), 43PUS85x5 supposedly an IPS panel and the 43PUS78x5 might be a VA panel.
But I'd be looking at monitors indeed for this purpose, though most in the bigger sizes seem to be of the ultrawide category (and as mentioned in the link above, the 16:9 43" models often have BGR panels normally found in tv's, though if you'd turn it upside down you'd end up with the RGB layout).

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Why not just buy a monitor which is designed to be used close up? I'm not up-to-date on pricing but they go up to 40" these days.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom