• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

40" TV around £600?

Jazzy639

Hello

Looking for a new 40" LCD or Plasma around £600.

Do I go LCD with the Samsung LE40R87BDX http://www.ajelectronics.co.uk/ViewProdDetails.asp?Prod_code=LE40R87BDX
or Plasma with the Panasonic TH42PX70B http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/?modelcode=PAN-TH42PX70B

I already have a Samsung 23" and know someone that has a 26" and I think the quality is fantastic. Also seen some Sony's but cant quite find ones at the right price, they seem to have so many models. I like the Plasma because of the deep black levels but they suffer from burn in!!!!

It will be used for a variety of things, mostly non HD sky but HD material in the future. Also a bit of 360/Wii playing.

Any other recommendations would be most appreciated. Theres just so much choice I really cant choose!

tomo28

the panasonic, that tv has very good reviews and a steal at that price with the spec on it.

pjam

I've ordered a Sony kdl40s3000 from Amazon for £599. seems like a good tv. Amazon keep going in and out of stock but when they have them they are the cheapest price. Not many Amazon reviews but others on the web make it sound really good.

Kryptix

How about the Samsung Plasma in my signature? Should be able to get it for £650 now, and it really is a great set. Click "My Setup" in my signature to see it in action. :thumbsup:

Jazzy639

Thanks very much for your opinions!

The Sony is £650 and the Samsung Plasma is £670, both a little too expensive. Ive heard many rave reviews about the Panisoninc TH42PX70. Is it really better than a Samsung or Sony LCD?

pjam

If you keep an eye on Amazon, they do sell the Sony for the lower price. The prices on there at the moment are other sellers prices as Amazon must be out of stock.

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Prices for the Sony S3000 seem to fluctuate on Amazon between £599 and £699, but EMpire Direct do the same one for £649. I rang John Lewis to get them to price match it for me, which the guy said they more than likely will do (just waiting for a call back now) and if I'll get it from there, as whilst it is £650, you get the 5yr JL warrenty ;)

pjam

The 5 year warranty is mighty tempting. I may email John Lewis with proof of my £599 price from Amazon and see if they can price match that. (I don't take delivery until next week).
Cheers

pjam

Just phoned John Lewis. The price matching is done in stores only and generally only with competitors within a 5 mile radius.
Amazon had a deal which ran until 24th November where you got a free 3 yr warranty on Sony TV's. I ordered mine on 27th. I've just emailed them to see if they could extend the promotion to a loyal customer. :)

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
yeah, guy at JL said they only matched instore price, not web price, and at first told me it was local area comparrison only, and the store I was comparring to was 24/25miles away (only cos nearest JL to me is nearly 20miles) but then said they would waive the distance and it'd be no problem.... Hopefully they'll ring me back and agree to the match and all will be well :)

sibeer

The Panasonic for £630 seems a much better deal to me. A bigger screen with an excellent picture is not to be sniffed at :thumbsup:

Actually think I will go to John Lewis later and see if they will price match one for me. I love my 50" PX60 and was a bit worried about buying an LCD having not been impressed by the picture on most. I was getting tempted by the 37" Toshiba full HD for £650 at Comet, but I am sure that an extra 5" will be more beneficial than 1080P. That said the Samsung LE37R88BD for £500 at Dixons is still a good bit cheaper :rolleyes:

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
So your choosing the KDL-40S3000 over the Panasonic TH42PX70 and the LE40R87BDX, why?

I'm not - my friend is, as he is buying it. I am just trying to get JL to price match it for him so he gets a better deal (which incidentally, they rang me today saying they will)

As to why choose it over the others - couldn't tell you. He likes Sony's, likes the look of it, his choice really. I made my suggestions, he made his desicion...

sibeer

Ahh the Sony lure strikes again. When are people going to realise that they are paying over the odds for the brand name. Some of Sony's high end stuff is good (but expensive). The low end stuff is priced a fair bit above Toshiba, Samsung, Phillip, etc. Sadly despite the additional cost the "Budget" Sony TV's don't offer any benefits other than a badge.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom